“Among the Best I've Stayed At.........”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harrisburg
City House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 7 Harrisburg B&B and Inns
Louisville, KY
“Among the Best I've Stayed At.........”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I drive to PA on family business about every two months. Usually stay at hotel. However this trip I could not find any ones I prefer for the stay I needed.

Happened upon City House Bed & Breakfast via a Google search followed by TripAdvisor due diligence.

So glad I did.

City House is simply among the best B&Bs I have stayed at. From the building architecture and historical period restorations -- both inside and out, and the tastefully updated room appointments, to the excellent and varied breakfast offerings, to the convenient location, I was impressed. Cost about the same as the hotels I usually stay at.

This review would not be complete without a shout-out to the City House Innkeeper -- Sarah. She rounds out a first class B&B stay.

I will be staying there on my return trips to Harrisburg.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Goodalltimes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Rockville, MD
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I can't think of one negative thing to say about City House. The location is perfect and it is the cleanest most immaculately maintained B&B I've ever visited. Three cheers for Sara, the innkeeper, for the amazing job she does.

City House is located directly across the street from the wonderful, landscaped river walk that runs for several miles along the Susquehanna River. We spent hours enjoying the tranquility and beauty of this site. It is also very close to City Island, the State Capitol, and restaurant row. You are able to park on-site in a secure, gated lot, so can walk to everything.

Sara's breakfasts are a delight -- she is a great talent in the kitchen and puts a lot of care and attention in every dish. The rooms are extremely comfortable -- we joked that the bed "sucked us in " for naps every afternoon. And we marveled over the great showers with other guests over breakfast.

I would highly recommend this place to anyone traveling to Harrisburg. I can't imagine staying anywhere else.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Elizabeth room, which minimized noise.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed October 3, 2013

City House Bed and Breakfast in Harrisburg, PA is an excellent B&B. The rooms are very well appointed and very comfortable. The facility is beautiful and well maintained. The B&B is also in a great location -- within easy walking distance of the PA statehouse and a number of excellent restaurants on "restaurant row." In addition, City House is across the street from a park that fronts the Susquehanna River -- visitors can easily cross the street and wander along this beautiful river for miles in either direction. The staff is also very friendly and courteous.

The breakfasts were excellent, although could have used a little more variety. My wife and I stayed there for four days and had a version of scrambled eggs every morning. All were excellent, although it may have been nice to have pancakes or french toast, for example, on at least one of the days. But since I love eggs, I did not have a problem.

I only had a few other minor quibbles. We had to ask for toilet paper a couple of times which really should not be necessary. And while the bed was made every morning, the trash and used plastic water bottles in our room were never removed despite being placed in a designated basket in our room.

All in all however, a wonderful B&B in central PA.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for two nights while attending a wedding in the area. This little B&B beats all the local hotels, in my opinion in cleanliness, food, and comfort. Stay here if you can to get away from the crowds and be sure not to miss breakfast, where all guests are seated together at a large wooden table in the dining room to start the day with great conversation and delicious homemade food. The chef even made alterations in the menu to accommodate my food allergies. If we ever find our way to Harrisburg again, we will definitely stay here!

• Stayed September 2013
Erica B, Owner at City House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Glad you enjoyed your stay! Our new innkeeper, Sara, is great with breakfast!
Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

I loved this tiny, four-room B&B. its location in the historic district, by the river, is great. I slept great despite the busy street. The inn is extremely comfortable, breakfast was great, it's a beautiful house in a great location. Absolutely nothing to complain about.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Columbia, NJ
Reviewed August 26, 2013

The mix of state of the art amenities with craftsmanship of days gone by makes this a lovely stop for a weary traveler. Original art (for sale) graces the walls of the cozy and inviting common rooms.My room (Elizabeth) was spacious, clean and quiet. I was a little uncomfortable having to exit my car late at night to key in the parking area gate code.

Room Tip: Elizabeth room was spacious, with a fireplace and king-sized bed. The window overlooks an alley with...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We stayed at City House last August and loved it, so when we had another event in Harrisburg this year, we decided to book here a second time. Everything was exceptional yet again! Our cozy room (Helen) - with two large windows affording a view of the river - was as charming and as crisply clean as before. A fireplace filled with candles set a romantic tone.The modern bathroom has a huge shower with dual shower heads, pedestal sink, and plenty of light. It looked brand-new last year, and it still looks brand-new this year. After breakfast in the large dining room, we enjoyed reading the paper in the spacious living room and sipping coffee in the adjacent sun room. Another wonderful "amenity" is the changing display of original artwork from local artists. The friendly innkeeper welcomed us warmly, and then gave us plenty of space to enjoy the property. We hope to be back next year!

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the property afford a river view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple