“Buyer Beware”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Butler, Pennsylvania
“Buyer Beware”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

My comments are not about my stay at this hotel but about how my cancellation was mishandled. I had a reservation for a 1-night stay while visiting Hershey Park but on the evening of my stay before I checked in my seven year old fell ill. He had a fever and rash and was vomiting. We decided to drive home that night so our son could be at home where he would be comfortable. In addition we didn’t know if he was contagious and we didn’t want to put the guests of the hotel at risk. I called the hotel that night to cancel and they told me I had to call hotels.com who told me I had to call the hotel. Bottom line is that they wouldn’t credit me for the room and the General Manager Erin Lysaght was rude, she yelled at me and hung up on me when I tried to call back she picked up and then hung up the phone. VERY IMMATURE and UNPROFESSIONAL!!!! Lesson learned don’t book on hotels.com because they have no accountability and don’t stay at the Sleep in Suites in Harrisburg, PA because if you have an issue the management is likely to treat you poorly and unprofessionally.

3 Thank Elena D
elysaght, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
We are extremely sorry that your son fell ill and you were unable to visit our hotel. Unfortunately, we must adhere to our 24 hour cancellation policy and we were unable to assist you. In addition, you did make the decision to book through a third party booking agent. Thus, the third party booking agency pays us and you pay them. We are absolutely unable to cancel third party bookings, or modify or change them in anyway. I understand why you are unhappy. We can offer you a free night in the future should you contact me directly at gm.pa558@choicehotels.com.
I further apologize that you felt I was rude. I merely could not do what you were asking me to do and the answer was no. I am sorry if that came across as rude. Please accept my apology and contact me at your leisure should you wish for a free room night in the future.
Erin Lysaght

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Korean first
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed August 30, 2013

My husband I stayed at this Sleep Inn & Suites after a day at Hershey Park. The front desk attendants were VERY nice...they offered suggestions on where to eat and we engaged in great conversation while we checked in.
The room was modern but there was hair EVERYWHERE....on the bathroom floor, on the sink, on the toilet, on the shower floor, on the shower wall, on the towels hanging up in the bathroom, and in the bed! I will admit I am a very picky person when it comes to hotels, and I can usually overlook some hair but it was practically everywhere! I mean I could see it in between the sheets and the mattress pad!!
Again the hotel staff was nice and the rooms were ok but I would probably not visit again. Too hairy. For $120 I feel like it should be just a tad cleaner.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Shannon W
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying with us during your trip to Hershey and your wonderful comments regarding our staff! We are so sorry that you did not find our housekeeping up to par. We do try our best and we obviously did not live up to our high housekeeping standards during your stay.

We have shared this review with our housekeeping department and we promise to do better. We really hope that you give us another opportunity next year. Please contact me for a complimentary night stay at gm.pa558@choicehotels.com. Again, please accept our apologies but please give us a second chance.
Sincerely yours,

Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

I found this hotel reading reviews from TripAdvisor and I must say I'm glad we stayed here. This hotel was clean and the front desk was excellent. The hot breakfast was good! Kids loved the waffles. I would stay again at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for picking us and I am very happy that we lived up to our reputation during your stay! Please join up with us on face book for special deals for our fans. We look forward to seeing you again!
Chelsea, Michigan
Reviewed August 27, 2013

After spending a week antique picking in Upstate New York, we needed to make a short stop in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania before returning home to Michigan. Based on TripAdvisor reviews we chose the Sleep Inn in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. It is located less than an hour from where our destination near Gettysburg was the next morning. The reviews indicated that this was one of the top-rated hotels in the area. and our experience confirmed it.

The staff was friendly and helpful in pointing out the location of a pizza place and drug store nearby. The whole was completely booked, which placed a demand on the complimentary breakfast. The staff was attentive to the breakfast needs of all the guests--many families with children.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your 5 star review of our hotel! We really appreciate your feedback on tripadvisor and hope to see you back again! We hope you enjoyed your visit in Gettysburg this year and hope you decide to come back for another visit.

Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed August 24, 2013

This hotel is a hidden treasure. I consider myself to be very selective, especially when it entails spending my hard earned money. Therefore, after researching hotels located near Hershey Park, I selected this hotel. The location is conveniently located. Within a 15 minutes drive was a Cracker Barrel, Macaroni Grill, The shoppes at Susquehanna, a movie theater and of coarse Hershey Park. There is also a modest shopping center with restaurants directly across the street from the hotel. Back to the hotel: extremely friendly and courteous employees (Kia was GREAT), great Free breakfast, 24hr coffee/tea, the room was updated & very clean, comfy beds, great exercise room & pool. One minor glitch for me was the inconsistent free wi-fi.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your 5 star review and recommendation of our hotel on tripadvisor! We hope you decide to visit us again very soon!
North Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed August 23, 2013

This hotel was perfect. Room was clean, staff was friendly and they had a great breakfast selection to start your day. Close to everything in Harrisburg/ Hershey areas. Thank you for making our trip a lot easier with all your help..Highly recommend this hotel..

Dear Guest,
You are very welcome and thank you for 5 star review of our hotel! We hope to see you again soon on your next trip to the Harrisburg/ Hershey area.
Michigan
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I selected this hotel based on reviews from Tripadvisor. I am glad I did. Customer services was great, especially at check-in. The rooms were great, clean and quiet. We had a room right next to the elevator and didn't even hear it. The beds were wonderful. It's only 15 minutes from Hershey and they have directions already printed out for you (along with other places). Very easy to find and very close to the freeway. The free breakfast was pretty good (the eggs could be a little better, but what do you expect from a free breakfast). We are glad to discover this chain and will be looking for it for future vacations.

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your awesome review of our hotel! We hope that you visit us again very soon! We are very happy that you were satisfied with you stay.