“Pleasant Surprise”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Linglestown Road
Reviewed June 14, 2013

My husband were sightseeing in Harrisburg and someone recommended the Mount Hill Tavern. We arrived around 4:30pm and it was there happy hour. The food was wonderful and plentiful. My husband had the cheeseburger which was cooked perfect for him, rare.
The atmosphere was very nice, and the staff very friendly. We will going back again the next time we are in the area.

There are newer reviews for Mount Hill Tavern

Reviewed June 9, 2013

My husband and I wanted to revisit this restaurant because although pricey, we had enjoyed our last visit. This time I tried the 1/2 sandwich and soup. The cream of mushroom soup was tasty, but only luke warm and the 1/2 focaccia sandwich was more like 1/8 of a sandwich. Because we were still hungry, we tried the mixed berry cobbler, which was also barely warm, but tasty and a very small portion for the cost. Finally, we had to ask for hot cups of coffee because the coffee was also cool. Service was slow due to inadequate numbers of servers, despite the hostess and another woman serving the meals. The atmosphere is upscale, but the guests at the one other table in the same room as ours were very loud and there was nothing to cushion the sound. The majority of guests were enjoying the patio; however there were more tables, but not enough umbrellas and we did not want to sit in the sun.

1  Thank Karen W
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Service was poor, the food was not that great. Server was very slow, place has no atmosphere, it's like a funeral in there. If you are looking for fine dining in the area I suggest Tavern on the Hill, Devon's Seafood or other places downtown Harrisburg. We frequent a lot of fine dining places and this certainty had the worse service and food.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

The highlights here are the food and the surroundings. My wife and I went here looking for a new option in the Harrisburg area other than the downtown scene. What a pleasant surprise! My wife had the filet mignon, and I had plank salmon. Both were very well prepared and delicious. The summer vegetable soup was also savory, and the creme brulee we shared for dessert compared well with the best we have had anywhere. The dining room and the building overall are well maintained and very attractive, decorated in a manner consistent with the property's rich history dating to 1798. The grounds are also very attractive and well maintained, and the hills of central PA can be seen readily from the grounds and the outdoor dining area (too windy and cold for that option on this occasion, despite being Memorial Day weekend). So why not 5 circles that signify the highest rating? First, when we sat down, it took moments to notice the dining room smelled of gas from what turned out to be from the fireplace, after the pilot light had blown out, apparently from the windy conditions. Amazingly, the staff had not noticed. When we brought it to their attention, it was remedied. Second, the menu seemed a bit limited overall, especially the wine by the glass options and desserts. Still, we definitely will return. Think of this choice especially in the summer and fall months when the outdoor dining will be a huge plus.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

I have discovered a new place to impress my corporate clients. Now I don't have to trudge them downtown, find parking and waste half an hour with that. Mount Hill Tavern is upscale but elegant, has a GREAT wine list and still comes off as friendly. While I was in with my husband, the bartender seemed to know almost everyone at the full bar which means they probably frequent the place more than once in a while, which says a lot to me. If people come back more than once a week, then I think it says something for how they take care of their customers. The drinks and food are just pricey enough to impress, but well worth the price! Everything on the menu is signature to the restaurant, so it also is a culinary experience as well. Will definitely be back! Want to try the happy hour menu (and the half price drinks will let me experiment with some premium wines, too)