“Great hotel for grandparents with their grandchildren”

SpringHill Suites Harrisburg Hershey
Ranked #9 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reviewed August 5, 2010

What a surprise we had when we checked into the new Springhill Suites located at exit 69 off I-81! We rented two suites in order to take our children and grandchildren to Hershey Park. The hotel is modern, very clean, spacious and child friendly. We had two sinks in each suite, a sectional sofa with a pull out bed (for our 9 year old grandson), and another small couch that was perfect for our 4 year old granddaughter. These were separated from our king bed by a partial wall. The indoor pool even had a "rain drop", which delighted the little ones.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed August 4, 2010

Spent 2 nights with my wife and three kinds, in a double room, since the hotel was full. Noise air conditioner and every noise in the hallway can be heard in the room. All was average, the room, beds, TV, attention, etc.

Although we had no problems, the hotel is very average and if you are looking for some bette comfort, room size and ammenities, this is not your hotel.

It is also in the middle of nowhere and 5 minutes from the Hershey attractions.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 27, 2010

Recently spent 2 nights at this less than one year old hotel. The design must be the latest for this chain - very modern/retro/funky - lobbies and rooms (as discussed by others). Great shower with overhead rain shower and two wall mounted sprayers. Definitely stands out from most of the other hotels in this price range. They also offer rooms with 2 queen beds plus the sofabed which is great for families. The hotel pool IS small and could be filled with Hershey-goers at any given time (although we were lucky to have it completely empty - until we filled it with 3 families worth of kids and teens). Breakfast is as one would expect, including the egg/sausage option (but no waffles).

We planned to have a picnic lunch when we arrived mid-day and asked the hotel before arriving where to go. They recommended Wildwood Park, only minutes away. They have a very nice nature center, lots of walking trails, picnic pavilions, picnic tables, etc. It made for a nice stop and I would recommend it highly if you have any interest in that.

Tip: Be sure to use the 2217 Kohn Road, Harrisburg address for your GPS or else you will probably get lost.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Elitefreak
Reviewed July 1, 2010

We stayed here on a Friday and Saturday night to go to Hershey. The room itself is nice. I love the split toilet/sink and shower/sink since that makes a family using the room much easier. The beds were comfortable, and the little snack shop downstairs was great -- but ask the price of drinks at the bar before ordering!

We had a room on the interstate side of the hotel and the noise from the traffic was very loud. However, our biggest problem was that a soccer tournament was going on that weekend and the place was packed with families and team members. The tiny pool would have been okay except that self-absorbed parents left a gang of older boys playing in the pool without caring what was going on. A number of other parents repeatedly asked the boys to stay away from the younger kids, but they just keep getting more and more aggressive until they hit one of the other kids. The girl at the check-in desk said she couldn't do anything about it.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 29, 2010

We stayed here recently for a trip to Hershey Park. We frequently stay at Marriott properties. The hotel was new but I didn't find it comfortable for a family with young children. The decor was ultra modern. The front desk person was that kind of fake nice -- felt like she was bothered with all every question we asked her even though she was pleasant. I got the feeling she preferred business travelers that just checked in and didn't bother her. The sheer curtains in the lobby were weird (what was their purpose?) and my youngest thought we were at the batting cages. The room itself was small but clean. You could not even walk around the pull out sofa when it was pulled out. Very annoying and I could hardly make the bed. The sliding doors with the smoked glass on the toilet area and shower area did not leave much to the imagination - while you couldn't see in there you could totally see the outline of what was going on. I felt it lacked in privacy. Didn't much care for the shower stall only either - no tub. Again the sliding door had me feeling self conscious since the smoked glass didn't offer much privacy. I felt this room would have been fine for business travelers but for families with young children it wasn't the most comfortable. Also hated the 1 tv so you had to fight over who could watch it. Breakfast was ok. For $179 a night another suite-type hotel would have been better - something bigger and actually a suite with 2 tvs would have been more comfortable.
The pool was also a joke - very narrow and tiny with a round thing at the end with a shower spraying down - looked like a thermometer.
We've stayed at the Towneplace Suites which was closer to the park, had full kitchen, a bathroom door that was a door and actually closed, and was cheaper. If you a a family with young children you might be more comfortable elsewhere. This hotel is also in the middle of nowhere and not near any restaurants, etc.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 27, 2010

I travel to Harrisburg several times a year for work. We get to choose our own hotels and I usually stay at one of the hotels near I-83 and Union Deposit Rd, but decided to try something new this time. I'm really glad I did. The hotel had a European feel to it - the room was very modern and luxurious. The sleeping area was partially separated from the sitting area. The couch was decent. There was also a mini fridge and microwave but I didn't use them. The best was the two 'bathrooms:' one had a sink and toilet, the other had a sink and glass-enclosed shower stall with jets at shoulder level in addition to the shower head above. My complaints are minor. First, this hotel has iPod alarm clocks and the time was completely wrong on my clock (off by something like 3 hrs and 20 mins). I looked at every inch of the unit and pushed every button but I could not figure out how to change the time. I finally called the front desk and the staff person said that she encountered that problem recently and couldn't figure out how to change the time either. Also, the hotel encourages guests to save water and re-use towels but there was only one hook in the bathroom. Other problems: the shower leaked all over the bathroom floor, the wireless internet was extremely slow, and the highway was very loud. These were all pretty minor problems in my view. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 24, 2010

We were greated by a very nice woman at the front desk of the hotel after a long drive from Niagara Falls. Once we were checked in, we were welcomed by a "reception" in the lobby of hot chili, cornbread, and chocolate cake (all were wonderful!) Breakfast in the morning was included, as was wireless internet. The hotel is brand new, and in perfect condition. The people were all very friendly, and we were very impressed overall. The room was a good size, and we enjoyed having the little living room area as well as the small fridge and microwave. The bathroom with shower was separate from the toilet room, which was very nice. The location of the hotel was a little difficult to find since it is too new to be recognized by MapQuest or our GPS. But overall, we would DEFINITELY stay here again, and highly recommend it!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family