“Very good family hotel for the Hershey area”

SpringHill Suites Harrisburg Hershey
Ranked #9 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Very good family hotel for the Hershey area”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Really enjoyed this family-friendly hotel on our recent trip to Gettysburg and Hershey Park. Extremely well-designed rooms that comfortably fit our family of five (2 queen beds and the most comfortable sofa-bed on which my 9-year old son claims to have slept!) - this included a separate small room for the toilet and a spacious bathroom. [HInt: ask for extra shampoo and lotion if you have a larger family.] Good choice of television channels as well.

Pool and exercise room about what you would expect, so perfectly adequate for your short-term needs.

The only disappointment (and the one real reason for the 4-rating vs. a 5) is the breakfast. Eggs were not that good and the hard-boiled eggs (our preference) were not replenished after they were all taken. Very carbohydrate-focused, so prepare accordingly.

Price we paid was excellent on Thursday night, but jumped considerably on Friday night, so plan ahead.

Cheerful service, who were only too happy to accommodate your needs to the best of their ability - always greeting you in the hallway and elevator, etc. Their attentive help to get me to a Starbucks certainly helped my morning!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Kirsha D, Director of Sales at SpringHill Suites Harrisburg Hershey, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Thank you for staying with us at the SpringHill Suites by Marriott Harrisburg Hershey. We appreciate your comments on our facility. Our hotel is centrally located to both Hershey and Gettysburg with easy on and off access to I-81. We hope to have the opportunity for you and your family to stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Hebrew first
Seymour, Connecticut
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We went in mid-July for a family trip to Hershey Park. The hotel itself was very nice - modern lobby, accommodating front desk, good size room. I liked the extra shower heads, made it seem more upscale. However, the noise from the nearby highway made sleeping very difficult for my family. We turned up the A/C to try to drown it out, to little avail. It's about 15-20 minutes to Hershey Park, easy drive. Not much in the immediate area. Free breakfast is a perk although I'd stick to the bread and fruit items (eggs were very watery).

Room Tip: We were in room 305 - lots of highway noise.
2 Thank JessF26
Kirsha D, Director of Sales at SpringHill Suites Harrisburg Hershey, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Thank you for staying with us at the SpringHill Suites by Marriott Harrisburg Hershey. We are sorry that you did not get a good night sleep. Our hotel is close to Interstate 81 offering a convenient location with easy on and off access. For individuals that are light sleepers, we certainly can put in a request to be away from the highway. We hope to have the opportunity for you to stay with us again.
Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

One of the not so good Marriott properties which was disappointing. As soon a I walked into the lobby and saw the front desk staff folding towels at the front desk, I knew I had made a mistake. The entire hotel looked as if it needed a good vacuuming and cleaning. Our room had balls of hair all over the carpet. The doors were smeared with something all over - not sure what that was (see pics). The breakfast buffet was a joke and the lady who was responsible for keeping it up was doing a poor job with an even poorer attitude. The place was overrun with small children. Would not stay here again - ever. This hotel need to step up its service to be more in line with what most people expect from a Marriott property. Truly sorry that I wasted my points and actually paid $125 to purchase more points for two rooms for one night here. In my opinion $125 would have been too much. Just being honest.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank WKMcGee
Thank you for staying with us at the SpringHIll Suites by Marriott Harrisburg Hershey. We apologize that you did not enjoy your stay. Our hotel is located less than 20 minutes from Hersheypark and during the summer, there are many families that are also staying with us. Once our breakfast is concluded each morning, we have our staff go through and clean the lobby immediately. At that time, we may also have our front desk assisting with folding towels. This is completed well before our check-in time of 3pm. If you may have had a early arrival, this would have been why it was not completed. We will certainly address the service side of your comments for our Staff strives to offer excellent service.
Madison, New Jersey
Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

Clean and big room, relatively new. Nice complimentary breakfast, with a nice variety. A very nice place to stay although the the area around is kind of ugly....we were on our way to Pittsburg and it served the purpose perfectly.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Rhashmo2
Thank you for staying with us at the SpringHIll Suites by Marriott Harrisburg Hershey. We appreciate the comments and look forward to having you stay with us again.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 16, 2013

A business partner recommended staying at SpringHill Suites in Harrisburg and her recommendation was on target. The hotel was clean, easy to access from the highway, and near many restaurants.

When we arrived, we were warmly greeted and the check-in process was quick. We were asked if we wanted rooms on upper or lower floors - nice.

The hotel is new, so the furnishings were in good shape.

The pool is very small, so I may not choose to stay at this motel with my family durig an upcoming visit to Hershey Park, i.e., the park is about 20 minutes away. Since Hershey Park has a waterpark, this may not be an issue.

The free-of-charge breakfast in the morning is a great benefit. With my favorite cereal, i.e., Kashi, as one of the choices, I was pleased. The fresh strawberries and oatmeal were just what I wanted/needed. Very nice. If the motel could also offer Fage yogurt, I'd be really pleased.

I was on the third floor and I heard the individuals in the room above walking around the room at times, but it was not a major distraction. The individual with whom I travelled told me that she could hear cars because her room faced the highway. Since my room did not face the highway, this was not a concern of mine.

My one night stay was pleasant and I will return to this motel on my next visit to Harrisburg.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, ask for a room that does not face the highway.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank BostonSuburb
Scotch Plains, New Jersey
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I've stayed at other SpringHill Suites and have had positive experiences. We recently stayed at the SpringHill Suites Harrisburg Hershey for a July 4 trip to Hershey Park with our two young children. Upon arrival, the hallway outside our room had scraps of paper and shmootz on it, but I figured it would be vacuumed in the morning. Two days later, the dirt was still there, plus whatever had accumulated. The management had not ordered enough food for breakfast and ran out of most items early in the morning. The set up of the shower (it sprays from the top and front) results in a lot of water on the floor no matter how well the curtain is closed. Did they not test out the shower before opening the hotel to guests? We had to piles towels on the floor just to safely get out of the shower.

2 Thank abbysarah
Bristol, Va.
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed here with a last minute reservation. I usually stay at Marriott properties exclusively, because the quality is fairly consistent. The check in was fairly quick and painless, although the front desk staff had to call cleaning staff to verify what rooms were clean, and it was 3:30pm...? Lobby was nice and clean, but elevators were filthy. Floors, walls, ect...also very slow and hot! Room was pretty clean, but as we prepared to change and leave, there was no iron in the room.I called the front desk and was told they would get one to us. 30 min. Later still no iron. I found cleaning staff next door to ouor room, and I asked them for an iron. The lady gave us the iron from the room next door. Upon returning to get some rest, I found out this hotel was built with the minimum possible materials. The floor above us creaked, cracked and sqeaked just like in a cheaply built house. You could literally hear every step someone took. The noise from the interstate was incessant, and the windows stopped virtually no noises from outside. Any time somone opened or closed their doos in the hallway, you could hear it as if it was right beside you. At 3 am, i was awakened by someone laughing and then talking loudly, I never did pinpoint this sound, so I could report it to the front desk. If you are a light sleeper, bring earplugs or avoid this property.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family