“What a great place to stay!”

Candlewood Suites Harrisburg
Ranked #19 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reviewed January 12, 2011

I just came back from a trip to the PA Farm Show. I booked this hotel because it was close to the Farm Show Complex and it had a small kitchenette in it. I read the reviews; some were good and others were not so I did not know what to expect. I (and my daughter and her friend) were extremely happy at how wonderful this hotel was. Everyone was so nice and helpful and the room was AWESOME!! We had two queen beds, a large bathroom and closet. The kitchenette was perfect and had every utensil I needed to cook with. I had brought some of my own not knowing what to expect. Next year I will not bring as much...I have already booked for next year's Farm Show. The girls loved the pool and hot tub and the free use of dryers (and washers) was greatly appreciated. I had requested a non-smoking room because my daughter's friend is allergic to smoke and the front desk clerk assured me we were on the bottom floor (all smoking rooms are on the top floor). Our room was perfect-no smell of smoke at all. I did hear some kids running down the hall one night but that was it. The beds were so comfortable and the chair/recliner was great too. Love this place!!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Candlewood Suites Harrisburg

Reviewed December 30, 2010

The staff would not look up our priority club number. He said he did not know how. When we checked out, they charged us a different rate than what we were told when we arrived. The Manager never called us back after leaving 4 messages. We asked for the district Manager to call us and he gave us a credit.
We were across from the laundrey room (we had a small dog) and you could hear the machines all night.
The bed, TV and kitchen were nice. We have stayed at better Candlewood Suites in PA.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 5, 2010

My son and I stayed for a long weekend wedding that we attended....Over the long weekend room was not cleaned, no new towels/soap/shampoo etc... Had to ask for more shampoo at the front desk. Maybe due to it being a holiday weekend (Thanksgiving)? I still think for what we paid, room should have been cleaned, or at least new clean towels provided! Staff was great, but could have been a little friendlier...also there was some kind of red substance bubbling up in the hot tub (EWWWWWW!!!), not sure what it was, or that I want to know what it was, but we got out real quick when we saw it! Overall, I would not recommend staying here, unless it was just an overnight stay...

• Stayed: November 2010
1  Thank Davesnhere
Reviewed September 15, 2010

I stay in the Harrisburg area almost weekly for work. I have stayed in several hotels in the area and the one thing I can say about this hotel is that it is consistent! The staff has remained the same and always greets me when I arrive, my room is always clean and my bill is always correct. I would highly recommend. Keep up the good work!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 1, 2010

Me & my husband & our 3 children w/ our 2 cats can't say enough about this place .The room was great very clean & roomy & had all you needed 4 ur stay . The staff was great made my family feel like home & anything we needed they were there to help day or night . Everything about this place is great,-price,room,place,location,amenties etc.I can't say nothing negetive about this place only positive . Managerment & staff deserve's the best for they make u feel very welcomed for ur stay. CANDLEWOOD SUITES of Harrisburg l in my book they ur our new family place to stay for they are family to my family we will return always.
Thank you, the DEfabbi's (god bless u all)

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 31, 2010

I stayed here with my wife and three kids (9,6,1) Aug 22-25, 2010.
Recception was very friendly if a little overwhelmed, seems only one person on call when we arrived (8:00PM).
We had requested a crib be placed in our room before we got there but when we checked in my wife asked to make sure the room we were asigned to was in a quiet area (for the baby). The receptionist looked it up on the computer and decided we would be too close to a dog and he immediately changed our room to one at the end of the hall and away from all other guests. He then came up with us and moved the crib from the original room to the new room and the whole time he acted like it was his pleasure to help us. A welcome relief from some places where they are doing you a favor even by answering your basic questions.
The room was a double queen and spacious. The beds were perfect and they have several types of pillows for the guests to choose from. The blankets were sandwiched between two sheets, a nice touch in my opinion, so you never realy touch the actual blanket.
We were there for the Hershey park experience and yes it is about 15 minutes away but it is not a difficult drive and very easy to find. There is a nice large supermarket and a pharmacy nearby (one minute drive down the street from the motel).
The only real problem i have is the pool. It was a bit small and had a rather overwhelming amount of chlorine in it. The hot tub was also a bit over-chlorinated. The management should look into that.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 26, 2010

I reserved two rooms for myself, my daughter-in-law and three grandchildren for a visit to Hershey Park. The rooms themselves were great for us -- there are kitchens in each room, which allowed us to feed the kids breakfast and dinner at the hotel, saving money on restaurants. The first afternoon I took the two boys to the (indoor) pool for a swim. It was clean and perfect for them. Then a group of young men took over the pool, jumping into the pool and splashing a good deal of water out of the pool. I had to take the boys back to the room. Meanwhile, my daughter-in-law took my granddaughter to Hershey Park for the evening. When she asked the woman at the desk how to get to Hershey Park, she actually did not know! She had to look it up, then when she tried to print out the directions, the printer wouldn't work. My daughter-in-law found a brochure and followed the map.

That night, my daughter-in-law realized that the room across the hall from hers was a "pet suite", complete with yappy dog and an owner who yelled at it to shut up. When she tried to order pizza for all of us for dinner, none of the pizza places (who advertised in the hotel's information book in the room) would deliver because they had no idea where the hotel was. There was nothing in the room with the address on it so she could give that to them.

The next day, after a very full day at Hershey Park, we came back to the hotel hoping for a swim. The pool was filthy, with a scummy film on the water.

Things to be aware of when booking the hotel: It's a fairly new property, so it's in pretty good shape, but it also seems to need additional shake-down time.

It's an extended stay hotel, so you have people who are staying there for several days or weeks. They like to party. And because it's an extended stay facility, the rooms are serviced weekly. So if you need clean towels or sheets, you can exchange the ones you have at the front desk. There are trash receptacles at each end of the hallway to get rid of trash from your room.

Each room has a full kitchen, with a large refrigerator, so you will hear that running all night, along with the air conditioner/heater.

Make sure your room is nowhere near a "pet suite" if you mind barking dogs.

There is a room downstairs stocked with drinks, snacks (and free coffee) that you pay for with the honor system. The items are reasonably priced, which is refreshing.

Aside from the barking dog and dirty pool, I had no real issues with the Candlewood Suites and I would probably give them another chance if I were in the area.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family