“Decent hotel - close to Hershey, rooms a bit small”

Candlewood Suites Harrisburg
Ranked #20 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Monroe NJ
“Decent hotel - close to Hershey, rooms a bit small”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2011

Located in nice quiet suburban area , close to the interstate, close to hershey(15-20 minutes). Hotel is pet friendly so lots of people with dogs but it was quiet & clean. Small indoor pool & Jacuzzi (pool was a bit cold). 2 DBL bed room had full size fridge, 2 burner stove & microwave & dishwasher & basic utensils(4 forks, 4 knives, etc) & a few pots & pans. Had no stove or toaster oven, sign in room stated you could borrow one from front desk but went down there & they said they had none & only had 2 for entire hotel ???
2 DBL bed room was a bit small - just one room , kitchen was decent size but had not table other than one tiny business desk & chair. So even if you cooked in the room, nowhere for more than one person to sit down. No housekeeping but was able to get new towels, washcloths easily at front desk. Staff was helpful & no problems getting towels or anything else needed. Floors had garbage cans at end of hallways to empty trash. Small fitness center with two treadmills, stepper, bike & multipurpose machine. Hotel had free wifi & small computer room with two PCs & printer. So overall decent hotel just rooms were a bit to be useable for having a full kitchen.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Horizon City, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2011

We stayed at this hotel as part of a family reunion group. The hotel itself was nice enough. It was clean and convenient to restaurants, shopping and Hershey Park. This is an extended stay hotel that does not offer daily maid service.
Our party booked the hotel well in advance of our arrival and I even called twice to confirm that I booked two queen beds in my room as we are a family of three. We had driven up from GA so I wanted to be sure that my husband, son and I had appropriate space. Upon checking in AND after giving him my name, showing my ID with my name on it AND providing a credit card that he charged with my name on it I was told that we only had one bed and because they were booked they could not offer me another room. The clerk said he was sorry, but nothing could be done and he went about his business. Our coordinator notified our travel agent who called the clerk as I stood there to straighten the situation out. Apparently he gave me the coordinator's room by mistake because I mentioned her name when I stated that I was in that particular party. While that correction was made they still messed up another member's room causing some of us to have to bunk together.
They initially denied my request for a late check out even though I am part of their Priority Club stating that they couldn't give everyone in our party a late check out which I understood, but everyone in our party was not a part of their Priority Club. Our travel agent worked that out for us as well and we were all granted a late check out.
Aside from those issues it was a nice stay, but I will probably stay elsewhere during our next trip to the area.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank dawnnl
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2011

Our family of 4 stayed here for 3 nights and it was just right for us. Although we didn't spend much time at the hotel, we used the full-size refrigerator, took a dip in the pool and made good use of the free hi-speed internet. I didn't realize until we checked in that the hotel doesn't offer daily maid service, but since I could get fresh towels and linens from the front desk at any time, it didn't matter. Speaking of which, the bed and linens were high quality. The towels were only okay.

We had paid in advance for room with 2 queens, but we were upgraded to a King suite with a pull out bed in the living room. It turned out to be an ideal arrangement for us.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Philly Area
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2011

I used to recommend this hotel to people who needed to travel to the Harrisburg (non-downtown area). Now I would say: STAY AWAY. I complained that my tub was not draining and was assured that it would be addressed while I was out the next day. Not done. No manager on duty. Oh and "the maintenance guy quit a week ago". I told them to get an emergency plumber. As assistant manager had magically appeared in my room when I returned from dinner. He was pulling out globs and globs of hair from my tub drain---too gross for words. The front desk also failed to notify me that a gift was delivered. Had I not spoken to the person who sent it, I would have never known or received it. Management refused to return my calls to address my experience.

Room Tip: Go anywhere else
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank AndiPhillyArea
vegas for Superbowl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2011

I stayed here in August of 2010, and while planning my 2011 trip I decided to write my review of this property, First off, I will be returning to this hotel again in Auguast 2011 for our annual family trip to Hershey Park.

I have stayed at other ICHG Hotels (Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaze, Staybridge Suites) but this was my first Candlewood Suites stay. This hotel is very clean, looks very new and provided a very enjoyable and relaxing stay for my son and I. We arrived on a Monday with a 3-night reservation. The staff was very considerate. Indoor Pool and jacuzzi were immaculate and well maintained. Room was spotless. Gym and Laundry faciliates are new and very clean.

Their smal store sells snacks and travel items and offers free coffee which was surprsingly good. No breakfast buffet or restaurant but there is an abundance of local options. Since the rooms are equipped with a kitchen, Im guessing the thought is to cook your own meals or go out. A nice amenity is the outside BBQ area. We purchased burgers and dogs locally and had a cookout one evening that my son still talks about.

The weather interupted our Hershey plans, so I decided to stay an extra day. I was offered a published rate that was higher than my prepaid ratd and after questioning it, the girl at the counter offerd me an equivilant rate for the extra night.

CONS: No restaurant or food service at hotel. Room service is not daily but you can request towels and linens from the staff.

less than 15 minutes to the Park via 22 to 39 and a nice coutnry ride. Might be quicker taking 81 to 39

Room Tip: Advanced purhcase rate through their website was the best rate.
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2011

Stayed for a week week while husband was in town on business- relied heavily on this website to select hotel. Room was just what we expected. Cleanliness is hugely important to me and this hotel fit the bill. Maid service is weekly, but the front desk staff exchanged my towels and provided additional toiletries whenever I asked. Linens were very nice & beds were comfortable. Kitchen had everything we needed to prepare breakfast daily and dinner a couple of times as well. It would be nice if coffee filters were provided as you have to buy them in packs of 100, which is a waste of money when you need so few. Hot tub was REALLY hot- pool area was neat. Thanks for a great stay.

Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Pittsburgh area
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2011

We recently spent three nights at the Candlewood Suites while my wife was on a business trip. The Candlewood is a new hotel and the unit which we were in was very clean and the kitchen well equipped. There is no complimentary breakfast but there is an onsite store where food items can be purchased (reasonably priced) and taken back to your room to prepare. Unlike other “site hotels” that we have stayed at, the Candlewood provides only weekly housekeeping. If you require clean towels or linens more frequently, you can exchange them at the front desk. The hotel is located in the northern suburbs of Harrisburg and there is a tricky intersection in front of the hotel that takes some caution until you are used to it. Other than some noisy neighbors with small kids across the hall who liked to keep their door open, we were very satisfied with the hotel. The staff was very friendly and I am sure that if we had told them that the noise was too much for us that they would have taken steps to address the situation.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business