“Cozy hotel & great service!”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Harrisburg at Union Deposit Road
Ranked #17 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Memphis, Tennessee
“Cozy hotel & great service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2010

Very welcoming hotel - fresh cookies in the lobby, great service, tasty breakfast. Nice workout room, comfy bed, close to interstate as well as many restaurants. All in all a great stay, would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Hebrew first
Charleston, SC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2010

I cut my first-time visit to the Finger Lakes area short and headed on toward home early due to another error of the very same kind. I'm finding that hotels are just not accommodating when it comes to disabled travelers. They all need to "get with it", as the baby boomer generation is traveling and more and more hotel guests will be disabled. I booked this room at the Harrisburg Country Inn & Suites to make sure I had a handicap accessible room waiting for me at the end of that exhausting day. I had spent too much time that morning trying to locate a hotel with the room I needed that would accomodate 3 adults. So the only reason we drove on to Harrisburg and to this particular hotel was because they assured me that I was reserving exactly what I needed .... a handicap accessible room with a roll-in shower that would sleep 3. But when we finally arrived late that evening, just like at the hotel we stayed at the night before, I was told they did not have any rooms available like the one I had reserved....and needed!!! I was furious....two hotels in a row. My much deserved and long awaited vacation had been ruined over hotel mistakes. There was no manager on duty for me to speak to. Just two young desk clerks. I insisted that one of them call the manager. She did so, then came back and continued looking over the list of rooms they DID have available, trying to figure out what to do with us. I thought I heard something said between the two girls about leaving a message. So I had to ask if she spoke to the manager on the phone or did she leave a message? She left a message. I asked when the call would be returned? Turned out it might not even be that day. Again, when was I going to be told that? The two girls decided I could book two rooms to accomodate the three of us, with me in a room with the needed roll-in shower. I asked if they expected me to pay more for those two rooms than the rate I had been quoted for that room I reserved.....that had been given to someone else. Yes, they thought I would do that. I knew I was going to have a hard time finding something else now and they had wasted even more of my time trying to figure out what to do. But this was their problem, not mine. I made the reservation; the hotel personnel made the error.....once again!!! And what I was getting from what I was hearing was that such a room as the one I had reserved didn't even exist.....a roll-in that would sleep 3 adults. Again, their mistake. I wouldn't even have been in Harrisburg except for our need for that room on our way back home. The pair decided to "take care of us" on their own, without the blessing of the manager. They finally assured me I would not be charged more and they would deal with the manager the next day. They would put us in two rooms. Now I wondered why one of them was now going to accompany us to those rooms. We had all our "stuff" loaded onto the luggage cart and we all headed to the rooms with the desk clerk leading the way. Most handicap accessible rooms are on the first floor and the room key indicated the first floor. But we were led onto the elevator and taken.....down. Now I know what the LL button is for on these elevators. "Lower Level", which one might think would be for parking. But this hotel actually had some rooms down there in the basement where the pool was located. Totally different atmosphere,.,.,.and clammy and dank. When I saw the first room, I just decided to leave. We hated to keep on driving that late, not even knowing where we'd end up. But I decided I'd rather sleep in my mini-van than in those basement rooms. I had reserved better than that....and this is how they had decided to fix the hotel's major mistake!!! So we loaded everything back into my van and we did drive on, ending up at a Hampton Inn in Frederick, MD that had just the room type we required....even that late in the evening and with a wedding going on. Oh, well, we were that much closer to home. Travelling is not going to be very pleasant, if even possible, for us aging baby boomers! After all the hotel issues (and there were more than just reservation errors) on this entire week-long trip, I will be booking private accomodations through sites such as VRBO.com every chance I have. Cleaner, more comfortable, better locations.....and in most cases you get a whole house for less than what these hotels are charging these days!!! And you don't have to worry about reservation errors. I've found that you cannot protect yourself. I always make myself clear and double and triple check that the desk clerk gets my room requirements and my reservation correct. What else can one do???

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank hobiesmom
mkrotulski, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Harrisburg at Union Deposit Road, responded to this review, November 15, 2010
I'm sad to hear of this situation and offer my sincere apologies. We take full responsibility for this experience and have learned a great deal through the process. We have re-trained all guest service agents in our hotels handicap accessible rooms/ammenities and truly hope that you won't hold this experience against us or Country Inn & Suites again in the future. I'd love a chance to redeem ourselves if every in Harrisburg!
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2010

This hotel was very comfortable and clean. The staff was friendly. The free breakfast was fine, although the dining area did get crowded. The pool was clean as was the hot tub. The location is an easy drive to Hershey, about 15-20 min away. Rates were very reasonable and much cheaper than hotels closer to Hershey. There were several family restaurants around the corner as well as on the road between the hotel and Hershey. And the free cookies in the lobby were a nice treat! We would definitely recommend this hotel.

1 Thank LLBeenThere
Randolph, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2010

We saw many other positive reviews and were not disappointed. The hotel is new, has cookies on the check in counter, and is very clean. Breakfast provided much variety including make-your-own waffles. My sister stayed in a suite and said highway noise was a minor issue, but we didn't hear it on other side of hotel. Stayed here for Hersheypark.

1 Thank YngFamilyNJ
Hamilton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2010

The hotel had not been open very long when our extended family of 11 stayed there. Our group ranged in age from 4 - 69. One issue we had was that there were no cribs or rollaways available at the time of our stay (the hotel hadn't received their shipment yet). We found the staff to be very courteous and helpful. The cookies in the lobby were a nice touch. One thing that did concern us was that the tile around the pool/hot tub was very slippery when wet. Management has assured us that the issue has been addressed. The rooms were a good size and very nice. Overall, a very positive experience.

Valparaiso, IN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2010

We stayed here because of previous good experiences at other Country Inn & Suites. It is close to downtown Harrisburg, Hershey and just 45 minutes from Gettysburg. The rooms were clean and spacious. And while there was a concert in town that must have hyped up the people in the room next door, the front desk graciously supplied ear plugs (which was mentioned on their in-room card when we checked in.....maybe they knew it was going to be a loud night.....) The breakfast was great and the beds were really cushy.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Caledon, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2010

I stayed two nights in a studio suite, The suite was clean and roomy but the windows don't open, so the entire stay all i could smell was air freshener. The biggest problem i had with the room was the noise from the hallway and above me and next door, I could hear people talk in normal speaking tones on both sides of my room, as well i could hear the people in the room above me stomping on the floor all hours of the night, I was surprised about the noise for such a new hotel, it must have been built pretty poorly, i have never had noise be this much of a problem in any other hotel i stayed in. On the plus side the free net was speedy and never went down during the entire duration of my stay

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends