“Everything we needed for the right price”

Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Harrisburg at Union Deposit Road, PA
Ranked #20 of 51 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reviewed July 6, 2010

This hotel is conveniently located off I-83 near a McDonald's, Waffle House, and a few other restaurants. You are not stuck in the middle of no where and not knowing where to go to eat. I stayed here on a trip to Hershey Park with my sister, adult nephews, teenage niece, and 3-yr old daughter. Other reviewers said the hotel is 15 mins to Hershey Park, but it's more like 25-30 by the time you get your car parked. And another 10 to walk to the gate. I didn't find this to be a problem, but I thought it was 15 mins and didn't take into consideration the time to park and walk to the gate...just made us arrive at the gate later than planned.
The breakfast is far superior than anything I have seen anywhere else. Although I didn't eat any of it (I'm not a big bfast person), there was more than plenty of selection. Make your own belgian waffles, eggs, sausage, english muffins, bagels, bread, cereal, 3 types of pastries, 3 types of mini muffins, yogurt, milk, apple juice, orange juice, coffee, tea...I'm sure there is more that I am missing. I did drink the OJ, that was good. I've had some questionable OJ in other hotels that had a funky taste, but this was good. And the breakfast area was kept very clean, even when they were busy. I always saw an employee cleaning up something.
We got the one bedroom (I think it was a suite), but it had a seperate bedroom and livingroom. The bedroom had 2 queen beds and a chair, and the livingroom had a queen sized sofa bed and a chair. Both rooms were very spacious, and it worked out well having separate rooms. It gave us an extra room for changing so we didn't have to use the steamy bathroom after a shower. There was a tv in the bedroom and the livingroom, so the boys were able to watch their late night tv shows w/o disturbing us that were sleeping.
The hotel was very clean, and the staff was very friendly. I tried to check-in at 12 noon, but the cleaning staff was behind and the room wasn't ready. They allowed me to check in 90 mins early at 1:30, and we were unpacked, settled, and in the pool by 2:15. The pool is indoors, which was a "must have" for me since the weather can be chilly. It was pretty small, but about what you would expect for an indoor pool. In my experience, indoor pools are a bit smaller than they "olympic" outdoor ones. It was never crowded, and there was plenty of room for my family of 7 and the other family of 5 that was there on our first day. The pool and hot tub are open from 6am - midnight, which is nice bonus...def great to jump in the hot tub after a long day at Hershey Park. My only complaint about the hotel is with the pool...it smelled very heavily of chlorine. Even if you are just sitting in the chairs and not swimming your eyes start to burn a little. But I only noticed this on the first day. It was still heavy the other days, but not as bad. But the odd thing is that someone told me that the pool is salt water, so I don't understand the smell of chlorine. There were no hamful after effects from the chlorine, though, except for my burning eyes until I showered, and my 3-yr old had no complaints or skin irritations from it. And the flooring around the pool is all tile, the slippery kitchen type of tile, which I also found odd. I almost slipped quite a few times - I don't know what they were thinking when they put tile around a swimming pool. I gave a 4 star rating instead of 5 bc of the pool.
I started planning my trip to Hershey for 2011 and decided to look for similar hotels in the area...I didn't find any that had the seperate bedroom suites like we had here. I can deal with the heavy smell at the pool...it was annoying, but it won't keep me away permanently. With that one small exception, this hotel is great! Especially for larger groups trying to save money by only getting one room. The one bedroom suite that we had accomodates up to 6 people, but if you have small children, you can easily get 3 of them into one of the queen sized beds.
The fitness center was small, but adequate. I think there was a universal machine, one treadmill, and a couple of ellipticals. And there was a flat screen TV in the corner.
The entire hotel is non-smoking, which is nice when you have children. There are 2 benches outside the front door and butt buckets and trash cans if you are a smoker. I have stayed at some non-smoking hotels that didn't have anywhere for you to sit and smoke except on your butt on the curb somewhere. It was nice to have benches. Our room faced the highway, but you would never know...the noise is blocked out very well. In fact, the only reason that I knew the highway was right there was because I saw it when I shut the drapes to go to bed.
There was plenty of parking, and it was conveniently located right outside the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank dlphn501

Reviewed July 3, 2010

Everything were pretty well said by below writer ( CPtraveller 6/19/10 ). I just wants to add that Meriza on front desk was very helpful, she did everything that I requested for. Like not facing the Highway, away from the elevators, and on the top floor. She also provided a local restaurants guide with direction. You can not get better service than that. I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to families.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 18, 2010

I spent one night here with my family of 3 when on a visit to Hersheypark, which is an easy 15-minute drive away. We stayed in a one-bedroom suite. The property is new, the staff are friendly. The hotel overlooks I-83, but the windows do a fairly good job of keeping the freeway noise out. I wouldn't describe the bedroom as spacious, but we all very much liked the beds. The breakfast buffet is in a nice large room that is kept quite clean. The supplies are ample, the quality of the fare middling. The 24-hour coffee service (and milk for the kids!) was appreciated, though the coffee is very basic Overall, nothing really stood out, apart from the price, which was far better than similar offerins in Hershey. But it provided exactly what we needed.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 13, 2010

Excellent customer service, comfortable rooms, delicious FREE breakfast, nice pool, what more need I say?? Close to Hershey park!!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 1, 2010

We had a one bedroom suite which was a great size. Latesha on front desk was very patient while we decided between the suite and the standard room. She was very friendly throughout the stay.
This hotel is quite new and is very clean. It is light and airy.
The breakfast buffet was kept immaculately clean and tidy even when it was busy. This was very impressive.
We would definitely stay here again if we were in the area. We stayed in 3 Country Inns and this was the best.

Reviewed April 6, 2010

Our family stayed for three nights during spring vacation week. We enjoyed the make-your-own belgian waffles at the free breakfast each morning. They had sausages, cereal, oatmeal, juices, coffee, danishes, bagels, egg wraps, etc. Very good value for the price. Rooms were very clean and nicely decorated. We stayed in a one bedroom, and our family of 5 was very comfortable. Kids enjoyed the pool and jacuzzi very much. It's a little small but fine for 2-3 families at a time. Overall, it was a great place to stay; and we liked the free cookies at the front desk in the evenings!

Reviewed April 4, 2010

Stayed here for one night during spring break. The kids loved the cookies at the front desk. Even thought the place was packed with kids it was relatively quiet in our room and in the hallways. The pool was a little small but adequate enough to fit a lot of kids and it was open very late. They also loved having the jacuzzi right next to the pool.
The staff were very friendly and accomodating. Breakfast was pretty good for this type of hotel- waffles, sausages, eggs, bagels, cereals. Even though there were plenty of people- they didn't run out of food. Beds were comfortable and we had two queen beds in our room. Great that the hotel was nonsmoking. I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to families.