“Much better than the last time”

Felicita Golf Resort and Spa
Ranked #43 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed May 4, 2006

I had stayed at Felicita during a business trip last August, and was not real impressed with the service, staff or golf course. Everything was overpriced. But I decided to give it another shot last week when I had to go to Harrisburg for business. And I'm glad I did! FIRST- the rates have been reduced resort-wide. The room was reasonable ($89 mid week) the golf was OUTSTANDING ($25 to play & ride, what a value, I would have paid $75) and the service was friendly and courteous. Very odd how significant the differences were from my last trip, especially condition of the golf course, and staff attitude. If you like quiet & peaceful, give it a shot. Not for everyone though. Don't expect 5 star accomodations.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed October 24, 2005

I can not remember when I have stayed at any resort or hotel that had the most consistently horrible staff members. This was not one or two, but everyone we encountered. We attempted to have lunch in The Grille one afternoon. When we arrived there were no patrons (never a good sign) and still waited more than five minutes for one of the two employees to greet us and take a drink order. As it turned out they had no iced tea or bottled water, only soft drinks. Next they had no soup or even there special house soup. The waitress would not leave the table to allow more time to decide. She hung around and stared at us. The food was horrible and we finally just had to tell the girl to leave us alone she was such a pest. When we made a comment about the service she began some hideous staring contest and stood there glaring at us. We ended up walking out of the restaurant as she continued here psychopathic game. All in all it was a most unsual experience. Staff do not offer a greeting and never speak to you unless spoken to (one employee told us he thought the place was on the verge of bankrupcy). And for a place that touts the beauty of the gardens, the rest of the grounds were in disarray. As for the rooms, at best they are average and not particularly clean. I could continue, but you get the point. Do not waste your money on this out-of-the-way, run-down, horribly staffed "project" that some bored retiree came up with.

• Stayed: October 2005, traveled on business
8  Thank Ryan.W
Pittsburgh
Reviewed July 19, 2005

My husband and I just spent the weekend at Felicita Resort. I was there for business. I just loved the gardens. However, we did not take advantage of the guided tour. (My husband thought $10 a piece was a little too much.) Anyways, our room was comfortable but did not offer a refrigerator or microwave, which would have been nice. We did reserve the Spa for 2 massages. I felt as I have always felt about resort massages......... they are not that great. I would have never tipped 20% for the massage I recieved. The therapist knows he's getting the tip and repeat clientale is not on his agenda. I did enjoy the rest of the weekend and have recommended the resort to a good friend, so please don't get me wrong. I will go back!

• Stayed: July 2005, traveled on business
Gettysburg, PA
Reviewed July 5, 2005

The sign to turn into the main facility is covered by a bush and you miss it if you do not drive slow. The spa services were fantastic although they automatically added a 20% gratuity onto the bill instead of allowing you to give one yourself. The air conditioning in the rooms were so loud they woke you up every time they kicked on. This was confirmed by another couple staying in another room. Initally there was a chair in front of it preventing proper cooling of the room. The temperature did not stay consistent to the point you would wake up from either being too cold or too warm. The bed linens were really nice but the bed itself was uncomfortable and I woke up with excruciating pain from tossing and turning all night. The amenities were the same as you would find in any hotel with nothing special. The Tavern, although advertised to be open when we were there, was closed. The second restaurant they recommended was also closed. We had to eat at the Grille unless we travelled off the grounds into Harrisburg. The only food offered were sandwiches and french fries. The sandwiches and fries were really good, but you can those just about anywhere. Who goes to a resort to have these items? Very disappointed that the resort was not a place to stay for comfort or rest. Enjoy the spa and the golfing, but do not stay overnight!!!

• Stayed: July 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 26, 2005

Felicita gets a very mixed review.

First, the good: the gardens are beautiful, the rooms are spacious and nicely decorated, the food is tasty, and the reasonably-priced spa services are great. The staff is very nice, though not always as accomodating or competent as they should be.

Then, the bad: we could not use the pool (out of service) or the tennis court (mgmt. allowed a family to reserve it for the entire weekend). Restaurant service was s-l-o-w (45-minute wait for lunch and 90-minute wait for dinner). The tour of the private gardens (arranged weeks in advance) had to be rescheduled when the guide did not show up.

Finally, the ugly: there were infants and children in the spa lounge. We were relaxing in spa robes, awaiting services, while a large family with young kids was eating lunch. None of us has ever encountered kids in a spa. That was ridiculous and unacceptable.

Bottom line: If you really want to stay at a "premiere Pa. resort," go to Nemacolin.

• Stayed: June 2005
4  Thank Innl0ve
York, PA
Reviewed October 30, 2004

I second every good thing in the previous review, but we did enjoy The Tavern. My husband and I were given an extensive listing of nearby restaurants (and directions) at the registration desk. Although we had intended to explore the area and possibly eat elsewhere, we were so-o-o-o relaxed after our excellent massages that we simply didn't feel like going any further than The Tavern, where the soothing atmosphere only added to our feeling of serenity - and our food was delicious.

One very specific recommendation: When you're sitting in the common area waiting for your treatments, seek out and enjoy a copy of the beautiful book that explains the history of the property. It helps to put it into perspective.

We explored the Italian Garden the next morning and vowed to return for a guided tour of the other gardens "in season" next year - and we're definitely interested in a golfing package. Who knew such a fascinating place was so close to us? We were still relaxed when we returned home, and it felt like we had been away very far, and very long.

• Stayed: October 2004
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 27, 2004

We just returned from a mother/daughter weekend getaway and had a wonderful time. The resort is located about 10 mins. from Harrisburg town center down a beautiful rural road. As noted by other guests, the grounds are impressive and views of the hills are stunning from your balcony.

The accommodations are 1 & 2 story buildings within an easy walk of the lodge which houses the spa, fitness center, hot tub, front desk and lounge. Tennis courts and an outdoor swimming pool are also nearby.

The rooms are pleasantly furnished and have a convenient extra sink/vanity in the bedroom. While the bed was comfortable, I had a real problem with the rock hard pillow. I requested something softer, but was told they didn't have anything else.

I can't say enough nice things about the spa. The staff is very professional, yet friendly. We got excellent restaurant recommendations from the various therapists and Donna the manager (much better than asking the front desk). I had a wonderful facial from Shereise and one of the best massages I've ever had from Veronica.

The lounge everyone is moaning about is one of the best features of the spa/lodge. It is a spacious room with a big stone fireplace and picture window overlooking the hills. There are comfy chairs and table + chair combinations, also outdoor deck seating for warm weather. On the buffet is a selection of flavored waters and juices, coffee, tea, yoghurt, fruit, granola and bagels.

I suggest you arrange for a spa lunch if you are going to be spending several hours at the spa. They offer delicious salads and wraps for a nominal fee. We really enjoyed the entire spa experience.

While it is true a few lodge guests use the room, it is predominantly spa patrons, plus the room is plenty big for everyone to have their own space. The spa robes are oversized and I did not feel exposed or uncomfortable sitting there relaxing between treatments.

I also can not recommend the resort's restaurant. We ate there on Saturday evening and had an adequate, but not exceptional meal. There were definite staffing/timing problems. Much better to hop in the car and drive into town. Harrisburg has lots of wonderful eateries. For breakfast we went to the Cracker Barrel which is about 10 mins. in the opposite direction.

I would highly recommend this resort for either a romantic couple's getaway or for a group of girlfriends who want spa treatments but not spa food.

5  Thank scasci