“Great Stay!”

Felicita Golf Resort and Spa
Ranked #43 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reviewed May 3, 2011

I stayed at Felicita the last week in April 2011. It was an enjoyable and a relaxing vacation.

The staff is experienced, knowledgeable and very professional. Everyone was very warm and welcoming. I was given a tour of the spa which also included a preview of the location for the continental breakfast. A map of the resort as well as explicit directions on how to get to the Lodge was also provided.

I didn’t get the impression that the spa has an outdated look. However, it doesn’t look like a funky art museum with art pieces of, “what the heck is that?!!” The neutral colors of the interior are a reflection of the outdoors, which is visually relaxing. I had four spa treatments. Each treatment was excellent!! One treatment (seaweed wrap) was new to me. The esthetician explained the process and the benefits of the wrap for beautifying the skin. For each treatment I was given a clean robe with slippers. Another thing, I was given 20% off on all my services. Woohoo!!

I stayed in a room which overlooks the mountain. It was very scenic. I was really surprised with the more than ample size of the room for the Lodges. They are fairly large. Also, the shower stall is spacious. I love the soaps that are provided in the bathrooms. I can’t think of the name, but they smell great! The room also has a coffee pot, with packs of coffee, where you can make your own pot of jo.

I had the continental breakfast in the Sun Room of the Spa Café, which started promptly at 8. Muffins, English muffins, cereals, juice, fruit, and coffee, were available. Hot breakfasts are served at the Grille, which is down the hill, across the road and up another street. However, drive since the hill is pretty steep.

I had lunch at the Grille. Since I was staying at the Lodge, I got 20% off of my bill. Again, Woohoo!!! The food is great and the portions were generous. Unfortunately, I did take-out from the Tavern. This classy and yet casual establishment has excellent cuisine.

A must see are the gardens, especially the Italian Garden. Once you are inside, you will have a feeling of being in Italy. It is something to see, but bring a camera. You’ll want to keep the pictures as mementos.

The room rate and price of spa services are not expensive in comparison to other spa/resorts. What I notice they are on the lower side.

My stay at Felicita was enjoyable and I will return in the fall. Not only is the area naturally beautiful, it’s the staff that makes this gem of a place more than what it is. They go up and beyond the call of duty to accommodate their guests.

Thanks!!!!

Room Tip: Talk to the Front Desk
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank gail_branson
FelicitaMgr, Front Office Manager at Felicita Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2011

Thank you for your review. It brought a smile to my face & it's nice to hear from people on TripAdvisor that really enjoyed their stay. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us, and I hope you will come back to visit us again soon!

There are newer reviews for Felicita Golf Resort and Spa

Reviewed April 26, 2011

The gardens and scenery were beautiful; however, the accommodations were terrible and most of the staff lacked experience and professionalism.

Upon arrival, we given a tour of the sauna and the spa (see below for graphic details), the hot tub, which was not available until the next day because the chemicals were not adjusted correctly, and the gym that is located above the indoor hot tub smelled of mildew.

The spa is horribly outdated and the services are mediocre at best, yet the prices are fairly high. The sauna looked like it was housed in a broom closet; the changing room looked like the inside of a fast food restaurant; and robes were worn and dingy. The place did not look clean, and the spa's staff wore dingy, black uniforms.

We proceeded onto the Lodge. The room was simple, outdated, but on the surface it appeared to be clean. We did not have tissue paper, coffee for the coffee pot, or aphone book, tablet or anything too write with. That evening we dined at the Grille, which was unremarkable (and almost closed at 8:30), but the staff was friendly.

The next morning, we arrived for a continental breakfast at 8:15,which was advertised to begin at 7am. To our dismay the food and beverages were no where in sight, and when they arrived, once again were were greatly disappointed. Such breakfast items included a basket of 3 oranges, planters peanuts, nutri-grain bars, some cereal and muffins that resembled hostess products.

Upon returning from our spa services, we entered the room to find that housekeeping had not arrived and our dirty towels were still on a pile on the bathroom floor, where we had been advised to place them. Turns our housekeeping just didn't show up that day. So we were out of towels and toilet paper, and patience! The staff person at the front desk arrived with toilet paper, dirty towels, which we were told "must have came form the pool, " and proceed to make a big deal about how she had to scramble to find these items for us. I hardly think toilet paper and clean towels are too much to ask, and no, that does not warrant a tip or immense gratitude! (Although, after calling to complain, we did get a free night's stay.)

The only highlight of this trip was Patrick, who was our server at the Tavern. He was gracious, knowledgeable and professional. The food was very good too, but the place was almost completely empty.

Thank god for good friends, a great sense of humor and LOTS of wine, or this would have been completely unbearable!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank ReHk_1978
Felicita2010, General Manager at Felicita Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2011

ReHK_197:

I apologize for your unpleasant experience. None of what you experienced should have been an issue. Most of your angst was due to a scheduling issue with housekeeping and a new employee not being able to accomodate you accordingly. I thank you for bringing this to my attention. I am proceeding to follow up with all of your concerns to ensure this type of experience is not shared by other guests.

I do apologize that no one informed you of the hot breakfast option available in the Clubhouse Grille. While we would love to offer a hotel chain-type continenental our facilities do not permit it in the Lounge. The Clubhouse Grille would have been a much better alternative.

I believe your expectations were of glitz and glamor. Felicita is not a place of glitz and glamor; we are more down-to-earth. Being located amongst the mountains, we are a place for just getting away from your everyday life. I am truly sorry, we did not live up to your expectations.

Please feel free to contact me ppersonally, so I can ensure a fabulous return trip to prove we are a great place to visit as many other guests have expressed.

Ryan Longenecker, General Manager
The Felicita Mountain Resort and Spa

Reviewed April 3, 2011

The best part (and the main point) of our visit was the spa, where we were given possibly the best massages we can remember.
The rooms were clean and well-appointed, but the HVAC unit was noisy to the point of depriving us of a decent night's sleep. I have seen better "continental" breakfasts at a Super 8 Motel, so that was a big disappointment. Wi-Fi was non-functional for the entire weekend with nobody on staff apparently equipped to address the issue.
Dinner at the Tavern was very good, although our waitress was young, inexperienced and a bit clueless, at one point describing one dessert as having "koala" as an ingredient when she meant "Kahlua!"
I would give a qualified recommendation if you were staying as part of a discounted package. If you're local, come for the spa services!

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank HerrSchnee
Felicita2010, General Manager at Felicita Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2011

Felicita is so glad to provide you with "possibly the best massages 'you' can remember". Our therapists strive to make each and every massage memorable.

As far as the continental breakfast, I can only apologize that no one informed you of the Hot Breakfast option for purchase in the Clubhouse Grille. We are just beginning our season and must ensure new staff is aware of everything they must inform guests.

Speaking of new employees, I am certain the Koala faux pas was made by a new server. I apologize for this and will speak to that Department. And, I will be sure to let the Chef know your dinners were "very good".

Due our mountain location, WiFi is spotty at best. With today's techonolgy, it is important to stay connected. However, next time, please come and just relax and leave the laptop behind. I know, you are thinking how can I relax with the heater making that incessant noise. Our lodge is equipped with standard hotel heating and air conditioning equipment. And, yes, it can be loud. But, I have a solution. We have two unique lodging opportunities on property. The Golf House (sleeps 8) or the Lakewood Cottage sleeps(sleeps 6). This would be a great opportunity to getaway with friends. Both locations are equipped with full kitchens and appointed with plenty of room to gather.

If you have any questions or other comments, please feel free to contact me at rlongenecker@felicita.cc.

Ryan Longenecker, General Manager
The Felicita Mountain Resort and Spa

Reviewed March 21, 2011

We checked in after work on a friday night. The directions were easy to find the resort. Well, once you make it up the hill, it is like this beautiful hideaway. Once the morning arrived, opened our shades to the balcony and the scenery was beautiful as a postcard. Even though, it was a bit chilly, the sun was out to warm the day and it was awesome. It won me over from that moment. My friend and I went on Saturday to receive our spa treatements and he was 'wowed' by the deep tissue massage. I was in total comfort zone myself. The dinner was out of this world. We plan to return in the near future. This was a well-deserved getaway from it all.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LoveSpaHoppin
FelicitaMgr, Front Office Manager at Felicita Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2011

I am so happy you enjoyed your stay. I want to Thank you for coming out to the Mountains with us and enjoying your time away. The staff here at Felicita would love to have you back once our Gardens are in bloom. You might not believe me, but it's even more stunning then! Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed December 22, 2010

My friend and I went for a girls night for massages and dinner and stayed the night. The massages were great and the food was fabulous. The heater in our room was a little noisy and the sink in the bathroom would not run hot water. Fortunately we had another sink outside of the bathroom that we used. We never asked for another room. It was not that big of an issue with us. Overall, I would stay here again and am considering a night away with my husband.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank nealren
FelicitaMgr, Manager at Felicita Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2010

I'm glad you took some time away to visit us at Felicita. It's a wonderful place for couples to spend some "alone time", and just as good for a Girls Day! I'm glad you took advantage of our Restaurant and Spa. I hope you and your husband will come for a get-a-way with us soon! Thank you for your Review!

Reviewed November 30, 2010

We visited this resort with 20 family members including older adults, and young children. The pool was great for kids. The adults enjoyed the spa which was very clean and the staff very accomodating. The banquet meal we arranged ahead of time was served in a lovely room. The front desk staff is sparse; some of our guests were picked up at the airport and some were not--possibly mis-communication. The garden tour by the owner was long, but outstanding in depth. The gardens are beautiful. The only complaint was the air conditioning in the rooms--way to noisy. The restaurant by the golf course is a little far which leaves only one restaturant somewhat nearby. All in all, our family really enjoyed the week end. The golf was fine too for some who played.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank SAL0940

Sal0940,

We thank you for your honest review of Felicita. I'm happy your family enjoyed our outdoor pool and spa. It sounds like your time away was relaxing and filled with fun! As the manager at Felicita, I strive to make every guest's stay enjoyable. I'm thrilled you took a Garden tour! It's one of the many aspects of the Resort that people can enjoy! I hope you will come back to see us again!

Reviewed November 21, 2010

If you like the early 90's this is the place for you!! I just stayed their for the package escape and I cannot believe they advertise it as a Spa. The spa is so outdated and the Tavern restaraunt lacks ZERO ambience. We are local and thought we would give it a try since I had heard mixed reviews. THe GM needs to be fired and all the other staff that report to him. He should be ashamed that he is running a beautiful property into the ground which has great potential. I have no idea who/she is but who ever is in charge they need to be fired. The steak tavern was a joke. The steak wasn't even cooked properly, vegetables cold and they forgot to order Potatoes so the didn't have any. We were there on a Saturday night and only 2 other tables were occupied...RED FLAG!! It was a Saturday. The wine selection in minimal if you are lucky. We left there feeling like we were "Punked". I spent literally $550 dollars for a resort that was in the early 90's that needs updated, trained staff and better ambience. The SPA was a joke. They had LITTLE DEBBIE snack cakes in the Pedicure/Manicure room..I really was looking around for a camera it was so bad. THe Breakfast was just as bad which we didn't even eat, We went to the tavern and had a hot breakfast which made us both sick. The continental breakkfast had bagels wrapped in saran wrap which ok, I will let that go, but a tub of cream from Giant next to it? Seriously, how about individually wrapped cream cheese, get a water container from Costco and put some Lemon in water. SOMETHING!! Bad ambience. I would suggest the owner head to BEDFORD SPA and Resort to get some ideas from a Local Spa. I wasn't expecting Hotel Hershy BUT come on HARRISBURG get some class and run this restaurant and spa like a real one. It would be great to actually have a nice place to have a get away in the area. This is not the place. Staff was friendly and nice and I sure they make a bunch of cash for weddings but I can't imagine the food being to creative. You are paying for the location. If I was from NY,NJ, WV or VA. Beware this is not up to standards for a Spa Resort.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
7  Thank dais10
FelicitaMgr, Front Office Manager at Felicita Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2011

Dais10,
I'm very sorry you did not enjoy your stay at Felicita. Our Tavern has been raved about by previous guests and locals and our Spa commits to the highest level of performance. Sadly, we cannot accommodate to everyone's taste. This is personally the first complaint I've ever heard about the food at the Tavern and I will make sure to address these issues with Food and Beverage Department. Thank you for making me aware. I can assure you that the snack cakes in the Manicure room have since been removed and Breakfast items have been changed. Felicita Staff is sincerely sorry that you did not enjoy your time here.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Harrisburg
Harrisburg Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg
Candlewood Suites Harrisburg
Candlewood Suites Harrisburg
#19 of 50 in Harrisburg

Been to Felicita Golf Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!