“Pleasantly surprised!”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Harrisburg Airport Hershey
Ranked #14 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reviewed October 1, 2007

My wife and I had a certificate for a free night at a La Quinta Inn that I won last year. I had every intention of going to Williamsburg to use it, but the deadline snuck up on us and neither of us wanted to make the 4.5 hour trip. We decided to give the Harrisburg Airport/Hershey location a try. By the reviews, both here and elsewhere, I was somewhat nervous about the cleanliness and condition of this property. When we checked in, I started to feel better as the clerk, a female, offered to clean a room for the guest in front of me so that he could have the type of room that he reserved, since none other was available. We were on the second floor and they had an elevator, so that was very nice. We stayed in a standard King room, which was quite clean and in nice condition all around. We had such an enjoyable stay, that we even decided to add a night. I can't say much about the breakfast, because we didn't participate, but I will say that the waffles smelled very good and their breakfast room was quite large compared to many of the hotels that we have stayed at that offered "free breakfast". We would not hesitate to stay here again. The people that work here are all very nice and seem anxious to keep you happy.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jasonskis
There are newer reviews for La Quinta Inn & Suites Harrisburg Airport Hershey

Reviewed September 5, 2007

Our family went to Hershey, PA to visit Hershey Park and other area attractions on Labor Day weekend (Aug 30- Sep 2) and we decided to select a hotel away from Hershey to avoid the crowd.

We found La Quinta Inn Harrisburg which was about 12-15 minutes away.
On the way to Harrisburg, our expected travel time ballooned to over 5 hours due to extremely heavy Labor Day weekend traffic. We pulled in at the hotel at 9 pm instead of our estimated 6 pm arrival. No problem as we had a reserved room. Check in was quick. The room was nice, pretty good sized... it had 2 queen beds which was perfect for our party of 4. Other amenities included a small refrigerator and microwave.

The continental breakfast was better than most I have experienced. Besides having the usual pastries, coffee, juice (apple & orange), they offered boiled eggs, toast and make-your -own-waffles. The waffles were the most popular item.

Of course we did not spend much time in the hotel but for the price, it's hard to beat. It's located off the interstate and has plenty of restaurants within walking distance.

The only negative thing I noticed was the bathroom fan was out of commission and 3 or 4 mildew spots have already formed up on the ceiling.

Overall, we had a great 3 day stay...we'd be back.

P.S. I noticed that pets are allowed here too as I saw 2 dogs being led out of the rooms.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank E9erX30
Reviewed September 2, 2007

My husband and I, along with our 30 lb dog, have stayed in many hotels over the past year making two cross-country roadtrips during this time. We are both very picky about hotels, especially with cleanliness and service. This hotel was decent, not one of the better LQs we've stayed at. Rooms were clean, we slept thru breakfast. We just drove from Atlanta GA to Harrisburg PA, so I was a bit tired upon arrival. Had to stand there and listen to the front desk clerk cuss at the computer: "This damn stupid computer" repeating this over and over again. Telling me all the extra work he's having to do because we arrived after the system renews for the next day (we arrived at 1am, but it was guaranteed for late arrival). There was no, "Thank you for your patience" or "sorry you had to wait," it was just him cussing at the computer and telling me about all the extra steps he has to do on the computer to pull up my reservation. Then he printed the wrong rate, so he had to correct it, blaming me on that because I checked in after midnight. I requested 1st floor when I made the reservation, but there wasn't one available, so I was assigned a room on the 3rd floor...it seems like there could have been one room left on the 1st of 2nd floor, but I didn't bother asking him...he already spent 15 minutes just checking me in. PET OWNERS: They accept pets, and do so without charging extra. However, you do have to sign something that says unintended pets who disrupt other guests will be charged a fee (which is fine with me, I'm just glad they accept our furry family members). So, if your dog howls or barks when left alone, consider ordering take-out and maybe turning on the tv to entertain your pet while you step out for breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MooreMel
Reviewed August 28, 2007

We didn't even get to stay the night. From the moment we walked in we knew we made a mistake. Our family needed a two room suite (living area separated by a door to the bedroom) since we have two young children (18 mos and 3.5 yrs). They told us they had two of these rooms. Our friends were meeting us and wanted one as well. When we got there the lobby was dark and smelly. The hallway and elevator were filthy. The room they gave us was not a two room suite. It was a bigger room with a couch in it. It was old and outdated. We returned to the desk where the clerk played games with us while our to girls were whining and tired from a 7 hour car ride. He said the room was given to a complaining guest earlier that day and we could have it tomorrow but could only have a regular suite that night. We concluded that we needed to find a new hotel. We had to drive around for 30 minutes while frantically calling every hotel in the area. We ended up staying at the Holiday Inn Resort a block over. MUCH NICER hotel for a little more money!!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank hrw2mom
Reviewed August 22, 2007

Hotel is clean and the staff is nice. Watch La Quinta's web site. Booked a room with two queen beds. This hotel only had rooms with 2 double beds. If you have kids be advised they do not have a pool. Close to Hershey.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank curry49ers
Reviewed February 11, 2007

We stay at this hotel every year for two nights. It serves it's purpose. The rooms are super cheap. Each year I haven't paid over $50 a night. We usually go to Hershey at the end of August. The room is small. It is for the most part clean. The decor is dated and the hallway always smells of cigarette smoke, but I believe some rooms do allow for smoking, so it is what it is. The staff is "menza, menza". Don't expect much. There is ample parking and plenty of handicap spots for the disabled. There is a free continental breakfast in the lobby, but we skip it. It is not noisy at all even though an interstate runs along side it. For the most part, the clientel is families such as mine visiting Hershey and some truck drivers getting a night's rest. Never had any problems here.

The strip mall across the street is a spooky with many colorful characters, so avoid it. The Bob Evans down the road a bit is very good for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Their staff is very friendly and accomodating to families. There are several fast food places within walking distance including McDonald's and Pizza Hut. There is also a diner up the road too. Hershey is all of 10 minutes away and you are not going to find anything cheaper any closer. Trust me, I have tried.

Overall, it is a place to lay your head at night and take a shower before hitting Hershey. And you can't beat the price. If you are looking for luxury, do not stay here.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
3  Thank NurseMom115
Reviewed July 22, 2006

Alright, definately not a five star hotel but for the price you can't beat it. Paid somewhere in the price range of $60/night. Stayed for two nights with my wife and two small kids. It's funny ever since i started reading hotel reviews on TA i'm more concious about my hotel stays, noticing every detail. Regardless, our room wasn't dirty, didn't notice any stray hairs or stains. Like i said it's not the greatest or cleanest hotel but if you're looking for a cheap room that's fairly clean and decent this place is it. Also i believe it was bought by La Quinta Hotels.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family