“Great stay”

Staybridge Suites Harrisburg
Ranked #13 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Family stayed for 2 nights. The place was clean and comfortable. The breakfast area is small, so plan to eat in your room if you cannot find seating. The breakfast was decent. Took a very long time to get extra towels sent up. Would stay closer to Hershey next time, even though it is a 20 minutes drive.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Michael L, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Harrisburg, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Thank you very much for your feedback. It is our goal to make sure you have the best possible guest experience. Due to the region's popular attractions and summer travel, we have opened up our first floor meeting room for overflow breakfast seating, to give all guests ample space, and we hope you can visit it during your next trip. Thank you for sharing your delightful experience and cleanliness of the property! We value your Staybridge Suites loyalty!

There are newer reviews for Staybridge Suites Harrisburg

Reviewed September 1, 2013

This is my fourth visit to this hotel. From the first visit, it's always been pretty clean, comfortable, a reasonable and easy drive to Hershey Park, and a great value overall. So it's been my family's automatic, go-to hotel for our summer visits to Hershey Park. I'm sorry to say that given my last visit, this hotel seems to be suffering from lack of attention to maintenance and housekeeping of rooms (or at least my suite), and I no longer consider this my automatic choice; I'll be looking elsewhere next time.

To be fair, I'll start with the good. The hotel is less expensive than those nearer to Hershey (though factor in the cost of parking at H. Park!). The breakfast is convenient, and though the seating area is a bit small if the hotel is full, my family had no problems with crowding. The hotel offers free laundry (which is great), there is an indoor pool (we didn't use this year, but was nice on previous visits). And importantly to my family they offer two room suites with a king and double-double bedrooms, the rooms were spacious and the hotel was still generally comfortable. It still has the potential to be a good value.

However, we encountered a number of issues with housekeeping and service that left us exasperated:

1. Rooms weren't as clean and well maintained as previously, as if nothing's ever been done to maintain them during the past year. For example, a couple of the chairs in the room had holes in the upholstery. And mysterious brown stains on the bathroom wall and doorframe next to one of the toilets, seriously???

2. Housekeeping never discovered that one of our toilets was clogged and completely unflushable before we arrived in our room. Did anyone even bother to clean that toilet after the previous guest/s left - if it had been I'd think this issue might have been discovered.

3. We called maintenance to have someone resolve the toilet issue. Someone came up with a plunger wrapped in a plastic grocery bag. The plunger didn't do the job, so he came back with a toilet snake and actually did fix the problem. However, he didn't bring anything to wrap the snake in and was about to walk through our rooms to the door with the snake dripping of toilet water on the carpets - I had to insist he take one of the room towels to wrap the snake in - and then he proceeded to open our door without removing the rubber gloves he was wearing while he snaked out the toilet. Frankly - that's gross.

4. The beds in the double-double room were made in the most bizarre and confusing way - the blanket on the bottom and the top sheet over the blanket???

5. In-room coffee wasn't replaced on any of the mornings we were there (fortunately there's coffee at the breakfast downstairs).

6. Finally, the noise issues, one which could have been controlled by the hotel, the other not so much. Firstly, the hotel is located next to a large train/trucking facility, and our room faced this facility. Perhaps this yard is busier or in more use than previous years, or maybe my rooms have always been on the other side of the hotel. But as much as I love the sound of employed people hard at work, I was less enthused to hear the loud bangs of heavy machinery and shipping containers all through the night, including 2AM-6AM hours. If you're staying here and are a light sleeper, bring earplugs or request a room on the other side of the hotel. However, there was another noise issue completely in control of the hotel - which was that the airconditioning unit was unbearably loud (I think it was resonating the door enclosing the unit) from one of the beds, keeping my kids up though the night and requiring us to fashion earplugs for them. Does nobody ever check out the rooms and notice issues like this???

Of course we could have asked to have our room moved, invested considerable time repacking the two-weeks worth of stuff we'd already unpacked in our hotel, and hoped that the hotel service staff would pull of the move during the day while we were at Hershey Park. This just didn't seem a great option given that we were spending most of our waking hours at the Park and given our other interactions with hotel service staff. Frankly, it would have been nice if more attention was paid and we weren't faced with this choice in the first place.

In sum, the hotel still has potential, but given the noise and service issues I no longer consider it to be a good value. Management: get your act together, your hotel is slipping.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, request a room on the side of the hotel that is not adjacent to the t...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Michael L, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Harrisburg, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Thank you very much for writing your review and for your positive comments on our valuable amenities and comfortable accommodations. As an extended stay hotel, we provide a light touch daily service, which includes making the bed, refreshing the towels, and collecting trash from the rooms. Although we replenish toiletries items and coffee during our weekly full clean service, we are happy to provide them at the Front Desk at any time for you. We are glad that you were able to enjoy our coffee from our Great Room area, available 24 hours a day.

We work diligently to ensure our facilities and services are superior and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations; however, it seems that we did not provide the best possible hotel stay experience with regard to housekeeping and maintenance services. Please know that we will use your review to help improve service from our housekeeping and maintenance teams. It is our goal to provide an environment that is comfortable and enjoyable when you are away from home. We appreciate your feedback, as it very valuable and helps us to improve guest satisfaction, which is our ultimate goal.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Despite the hotel being sold out, and packed with children, our room was very quiet. The do need more attendants during breakfast to accommodate the large number of guests. They also need more tables. Garbage was not collected on a timely fashion during the busy breakfast, resulting in a mess that, when brought to the hotel's attention, was not cleaned up properly. I don't think we will return.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Michael L, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Harrisburg, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Thank you very much for writing your review and for your positive comments on our quiet and comfortable accommodations. During the summer months we do experience a high volume of travelers and families, and we do our very best to keep up with the volume that may occur during the peak breakfast time. Providing the best possible guest experience is our ultimate goal, and we will use your feedback to improve service in this area. Thank you for your insight; we would appreciate the opportunity to provide the best possible stay on your next trip into the area.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Stayed here with children and grandchildren. We had three 1 bedroom suites that were very nice. We stayed over 2 nights in August for a weekend in Hershey Park. The hotel is about 20 minutes away, but an easy drive. The hotel was almost full and it was crowded in the morning breakfast area. The breakfast was good and extensive. The help was excellent, especially the workers in the breakfast area who were constantly refilling the food and beverage machines. The breakfast area was too small for a morning when the hotel is full, but everyone managed!! One nice bonus- coffee, soda and juice were complimentary and available 24/7. All in all, we would stay here again.

Room Tip: This hotel is part of the IHG chain, which offered a $50 gift card for a 2 night weekend stay.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Michael L, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Harrisburg, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Thank you so much for your valuable feedback. We are glad to hear that you were able to enjoy our amenities and had a wonderful stay. We look forward to seeing you during your next trip into town!

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights with my parents in a 2 bed 2 bath suite and my brother and family who were in a 1 bedroom suite. When I made the reservations 3 months ago asked for rooms close to each other and also was told the 1 bedroom suite would have a sleeper sofa. Found out at check in hotel was full and no 1 bedroom suites with sleeper sofa were available. My brother has 3 kids so 2 beds was not enough ...Manager offered a discount on the room and we placed one of the kids on the couch. The manager was very nice and apologetic and we thought all would be well, that was not the case. The maid service and cleanliness of the room was terrible, they never took trash or made beds. When called for more towels they were left on the desk...rom was never cleaned and the manager didn't seem surprised and stated they were having some trouble with help. I will say Manager was very nice and heard our concerns and tried to help. The breakfast area was well stocked and gray selection just very small and very busy. The pool area is very small as well. Overall a decent stay though 20 minute drive to hershey. The 2 bedroom suite was spacious and great to share with my parents just wish it was clean...I could write in the dust and not having the rooms made up after returning back from long days at the park put a damper on the stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your valuable feedback and for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. It's great to hear your positive comments on our hotel facilities and Front Office Manager. We work diligently to ensure our facilities and services are superior and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations; however, it seems that we were not able to provide the best possible hotel stay experience with regard to housekeeping services. Please know that we take this very seriously, and we are making positive changes at the property to improve service in this area. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. It is our goal to provide an environment that is comfortable and enjoyable when you are away from home. Thank you for your insight; we would appreciate the opportunity to provide the best possible stay on your next trip into the area.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

With the prospect of a 13 hour drive with an elderly lab, I knew I would need to break up the trip with a hotel stop. I stumbled upon a web site, Officialpethotels.com, and determined that this hotel would accept dogs without a weight limit.(my dog is 80 pounds). I booked the room. While driving I called to make sure the hotel was ok with my reservation. The one downer is that the pet website had not told me of a $75 cleaning fee required when bringing a pet. Regardless it was well worth it. While road emissions have sooted some of the exterior, the inside looks relatively new and is very clean and inviting. The desk help was friendly and attentive. The rooms are large and well appointed; mine with two queen beds, a sofa bed, flat screen, and kitchenette with nice finishes. The room was already cool on arrival; something not often found along this corridor . With or without a dog I would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you so much for your positive review. Although our website does list the pet fees, some third-party websites do not mention some information of the hotel. We are so happy to hear that you were able to enjoy your stay and we do look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed August 12, 2013

I stayed at this hotel two I weeks in a ro for business. The first week the entire third floor was full of marijuana smoke and the front desk said there was nothing they could do besides send air fresheners. I am currently pregnant son I checked out the day following. The next week I was to have my 10 year old son traveling with me and specifically requested a room with two double beds I was given a room with one Queen and no extra linens. When I asked the front desk staff to correct it they said they had non of my requested room type available. I later learned from a sales manager that they didn't have the rooms cleaned do to a dog show convention they had booked the week prior. So they are too lazy to clean. There is also bags of trash in the hallway by the elevator. Book the candlewood much cleaner and they will give you the room you reserved.

• Stayed: August 2013
Michael L, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Harrisburg, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback, as it very valuable to us and helps us to improve guest satisfaction, which is always our goal. Thank you for bringing the 3rd floor situation to our attention; our management team immediately sought to find the source on the day this was an issue. Although they were unable to locate the exact room, they did all they could to diffuse the smell as fast as possible.

We apologize that our Central Reservations Office made an error in booking your requested room type. We often have the flexibility to rectify that possibility at the property level upon check in, but because we were sold out of that room type, we were unable to do so at that time. We understand that a room with a sleeper sofa was not an acceptable solution to you, and we were able to offer you a room with two beds the following day. We are pleased to provide extra pillows in your closet in your room and extra linens, towels and amenities at the Front Desk (or we can bring them to your room upon request).

We do have guests that are allergy sensitive, so we do need to take proper care in deep cleaning each pet room before putting it back into service, and with the dog show event, we did have more pet rooms that needed special care.

As an extended stay hotel, we provide a light touch daily service, which includes making the bed, refreshing the towels, and collecting trash from the rooms. It is collected then taken the trash receptacle outside. We are sorry that it was still in the process of being taken out when you saw it. It is our goal to provide a clean and safe environment for every guest, and we thank you for your feedback.

It is our goal to provide an environment that is comfortable and enjoyable when you are away from home. Thank you for your insight; we would be grateful for the opportunity to win you back should your current situation change.