“Hotel Staff”

Ranked #12 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Hotel Staff”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

This was our first stay at a Staybridge it is our 40th wedding anniversary and we we very pleased with everything .Monica the executive house keeper did an excellant job with keeping everything in order and the kitchen staff Denisha did a great job we will certainly return

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
StayBridgeMgt, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Harrisburg, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at the Staybridge Suites Harrisburg, and know that our staff takes great pride in providing our guest great accommodations and service.
I am excited to hear that this was your first stay at a Staybridge Suites, and hope that like myself you have become an instant fan.
Congratulations on your 40th wedding anniversary, and hope to have you back real soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 24, 2012

We came here to escape after 5 days with no power at home following Hurricane Sandy. It was a fine place given the situation, but some annoyances started us off on a sour note. We had reserved a King Suite online, which according to the website should have slept 3. The front desk clerk was helping someone else and gave us a look when we came in like she’d rather not deal with anyone else. This from a chain whose motto is “we love our guests.” We checked into our suite, which seemed roomy enough with a room with a king size bed, living area and kitchenette. I immediately lifted up the sofa cushion to make the bed for my son, since we’d been driving for 3 hours, and no sofabed. I called the front desk. “Oh, ma’am, I’m sorry, but we don’t guarantee sofabeds. I am helping another guest right now but when I am done, will see what I can do.” I went downstairs to wait and calmly explained that I had booked a room that was supposed to sleep 3, yet there was only bedding for 2. She offered me a room with two double beds. Sorry, that’s not what I booked – and we want a king with a sofabed. “I’m sorry, ma’am, but that’s all I have to offer you.” She finally got her manager, who after much wrangling, put us into a “studio suite,” a smaller room with a king and sofabed. It makes no sense to put the sofabed in the smaller room, but that’s what we were dealing with. The manager was nicer, and (of course) adjusted our rate for the smaller, less comfortable room. We were exhausted and not in a position to argue, so we took the room. She blamed the issue on “Central Reservations” (way to pass the buck), and told me they often do that. OK, then, if it’s a known issue, why isn’t someone fixing it? Or getting some more sofabeds? It’s a hotel that caters in part to theme park guests – why wouldn’t you make every sofa a sofabed to accommodate families?

I was raw and ragged from a rough week, but slept well in the King bed. The sofabed was another matter. It was a thin, uncomfortable mattress that I felt guilty having my son sleep on – totally substandard for a major chain.

The rest of the room was adequate, with a medium-sized refrigerator (came in handy to store all the food we had been keeping in coolers), two-burner cooktop, 3 pots and pans, an odd assortment of plates, bowls and cups (most had 3 pieces, but some only one), a toaster, microwave, small dishwasher, and sink. Free laundry was a plus for us. The small indoor pool and tiny workout room seemed fine but we never got to use them.

If you don’t know, Staybridge Suites (or at least this one) offer “Light Touch” housekeeping M-F, where they replace towels, empty trash and make the bed. On Saturday-Sunday, you have to request in advance by 5pm Friday. We were fine – we’re used to timeshare style living where you mostly take care of yourself, and swapped out our towels with housekeeping in the hall – but if you like your room cleaned every day, skip this brand.

There was free internet that seemed fast enough, and a small “business center” with a computer terminal and maybe a copy machine (?) would make this an ok place for a quick business stop.

Free hot breakfast was powdered scrambled eggs and dry French toast, plus fruit, cereal, plain yogurt, toast etc. We noticed the waffle maker after the first day, and at least those were fresh.

We were a little chilly on the first night, but wrote it off to sleeping in the cold all week. It wasn’t until the second night that we noticed the outside vent on the heating/air conditioning unit didn’t close, so cold air was constantly pouring in when the hot air wasn’t blowing.

Given the situation, it was fine, however, I’d skip Staybridge Suites next time we visit Hershey and try something either closer to the park (it was almost a 30 minute drive) or from a brand we like (Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn). Given the reservations and housekeeping policies, I will also think twice about Staybridge in other markets.

It was our first visit to Hersheypark, and we got to enjoy the late fall Hallowen-themed “Hersheypark in the Dark,” taking advantage of the ticket policy which lets you buy tickets in advance the night before attending and “preview” the park that night for the last few closing hours. Though it was cold (expected for the first weekend in November in the northeast), it was a fun diversion. We look forward to going back and trying another hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
West Chester, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night in order to be near Harrisburg for a test the next morning, so I was willing to spend a little more money in order to get a quiet room and a free, quick breakfast. When I arrived, I waited for 10-15 minutes to check-in... the person at the front desk was trying to check-in another customer while handling no less than three phone calls. She was very polite despite the stressful conditions.

The room was great, with an ample kitchen and far more features than a traditional hotel room. While the balance of the suite had an attractive, contemporary design, the bathroom left a lot to be desired, but was acceptable.

When I went back down to the front desk to ask for the best directions into the city, I waited another 5-7 minutes to speak with the employee at the front desk, even though there was no one else in line! She was busy taking phone calls and clearly distracted with other tasks. She was, again, very polite when she got to me, but was only marginally useful with directions (local employees should probably be familiar with the area enough to provide guidance).

The sleep was completely peaceful, with blackout curtains, comfy blankets and mattress, and no noise interruptions to speak of. In the morning, I went down for breakfast, which was marginal at best. The warm food consisted of flavorless fake eggs and french toast sticks, and the coffee was extremely weak. The breakfast at Super8s are far superior, which is saying something.

Lastly, I was disappointed that the hotel does not have an indoor pool or hot tub... that would have been great!

Don't let this review cause you to forgo booking the hotel... I'm merely dwelling on the hotel's opportunities so that they can be noted. I would certainly stay at this hotel again, especially on an extended stay (mostly for the kitchen - you can make your own breakfast if you like).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank R20116M
florida
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I've stayed here before, and swore I wouldn't stay here again, because of the confusing exit numbers. Bless the DOT but they deserve to be smacked for stupid signage all over this wonderful country. Anyhow the confusing exit numbers worked again and, after driving many hundreds of miles, had to loop around and so there - I have taken my frustration out just by writing this. The hotel actually is great. Quiet and well appointed. Our king suite has a very good layout affording privacy and a sense of comfort. Kitchen is fine. These folks had a really good and simple repas and it was hot. The baked potatoes and salad were perfect. Enjoyed the corn bread. Breakfast I know will be wonderful. Night, night! Oh we had an annoying running toilet and maintenance was right on the spot and replaced a part and saving the planet one drip at a time.

Room Tip: Once you find it you'll enjoy it.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Reedsville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 26, 2012

A group of us was here using a meeting room for an entire week and the hotel staff was phenomenal. They handled everything we need with speed and graciousness. Well worth the time we were here. I would gladly return to this location for future events. It is easy to get to from major roadways. Pantry available for purchasing various items. The kitchen staff was great and allowed us access to the microwave. It was a relief to know that we were welcome in the facility.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 26, 2012

All the workers were friendly and courteous! Whenever we asked for them to adjust the air, they were more than happy to do so. Also for lunch I brought food which they let me use the microwave!! I wish I would have stated overnight because they have an indoor pool! Also they allow pets!!!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Brittneybaum
Delaware
Reviewed October 24, 2012

As a business traveler I always want to get checked in and out with the least amount of hassle. From the front desk Ieschia provided the utmost warm welcome and accomodating attitude that a business traveler could ever ask for. She provided me with area information and directions to shopping areas that I needed to purchase some items I needed. Kathy in the buffet area was so helpful and friendly. I needed some additional cleaning items for my suite kitchen and she so eagerly provided me with the items I needed in no time. This was my first stay here and I was so very impressed with the service that the personnel provided. This is the kind of service you would find at some of the finest hotels anywhere. Thank you for excellent committment to customer satisfaction! Your management should be proud of the excellent customer service that you provided. Hats off to Ieschia and Kathy - much appreciated!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business