“Great Casual dining for a big appetite”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Glass Lounge

The Glass Lounge
Ranked #34 of 535 Restaurants in Harrisburg
Cuisines: American, Bar, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Erie, Pennsylvania
“Great Casual dining for a big appetite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

I go to HArrisburg at least once a year and always make a stop here, all portions from Salad through entree and sides are very very large. The dinner salad is huge, lots of shreaded carrot on top of a huge bed of lettuce and dressing brought to the table which is nice as I usually like extra dressing, I had the 23-24 oz Delmonico, only $20.00, I ordered mushrooms with my steak, there were enough mushrroms for 3 steaks more then your moneys worth, I had french fries instead of my usually baked potatoe and it was a huge portions as well. I did have to send my steak back as it was very rare and I ordered Medium Rare, it was graciously taken back and returned cooked perfectly, I only wish I hadn't finished my salad as even though I was hungry and I can eat believe me, I could not finish my steak. Nothing fancy inside but food is good, large portions and great service, the bus boy even asked if I'd like more rolls when he passed and saw I finished mine with my salad. Thumbs up here, I'll be back.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank Newton618

Dauphin, Pennsylvania
“Great meat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2011

Recently had dinner here. It is a must stop for all of you meat lovers out there. The place is well known locally for their excellent steaks. Their meat is always top quality, with large portions. The salads are over the top with a ton of carrots usually overflowing the bowl. I have never had a steak here that has not been done to my satisfaction. Another great thing about the Glass Lounge is that their steaks are large enough that it is not uncommon for a couple to share one steak and be completely satisfied with their individual portion. Also, they sell tenderloin in various sized portions so you can get as much as you want. Always ask for Sue, she is a wonderful waitress, and she can offer great counsel as to matching what you want with a particular menu item. The decor is not great. Typical old bar/restaurant setting. Has been a local hangout for over 50 years. It is noisy, with alot of hustle and bustle. Don't go here for a quiet romantic evening. Do go here for whatever reason, but most of all for their great steaks. They have a killer crabcake over a giant portobello mushroom that is also a fan favorite. Can recommend without reservation, but you should make reservations on busy week an weekend nights. Have fun!

• Visited December 2011
Lemoyne, Pennsylvania
“Super joint to stuff yourself. Period.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2011

Fellas, I've eaten in lots of different places. I'm very much open for trying new things, since I grew up in Europe and was exposed for many different cultures. I keep an open mind no matter where I go to eat. I did so with this place, as well. After all, so many friends of mine told me how great it is and how spectacular their steaks are.

So, we decided to go - especially after glancing at the posh pictures of their menu on their website. I wasn't particularly hungry for a steak that night. I was interested in the mixed grill platter though, which offered pork/chicken/shrimp.

Atmosphere was... confusing. It felt like a house where first floor was turned into a diner. Basically zero decorations. There was a huge bar area at the entrance, and a dining area further in. Lighting was... there. You can't call it intimate, nor cheerful. Just enough light to see your food and those sitting around you, yet consealing the worn repainted paneling on walls. Look, I'm all for home-like atmosphere, ok? I love the scenery of old Irish pubs and small mediterranean joints. They have character. Unfortunately, character was completely absent from this place. By the way, why in the world is it called the Glass Lounge???

Waiters have no uniforms or anything, so you have to wonder why a dude passing by looks at your table with much interest (turns out to be the busboy), and why some waitresses choose to wear jeans too tight for their appearance (and age). I am all for traditional style and homely atmosphere, but when I see something out of place in comparison with acceptable standards, I call it like it is.

I must confess, the service was fast. Too fast, as a matter of fact. Probably because none of the people at our table ordered steak. Let's review the stuff we ordered... Tossed salads served with appetizers were basically piles of unmixed lettuce and shredded carrots, with two slices of cucumbers and one chunk of unripened tomato on the side. These salads are unforgivably huge (something you'd eat if you are on a rapid weight loss diet, minus the dressing). Dressing was good and likely home made. My wife's breaded fish fillets were probably frozen food. The natural cut french fries were delicious, and most likely made from scratch. Hot chicken wings were blah... the hot sauce was just hot-n-sour, and wings were a bit too fat and greasy. Deep fried calamari in batter were acceptable, although lacking authentic flavor - could have been any chewy fish product dunked in batter and deep fried. Burger was... come on, what do you think... a burger - it's hard to screw that up, and who cares if it was a frozen patty or shaped ground beef. The kicker was, they actually "ran out of pickles" that night. LOL. No kidding. So, my son had his burger without pickles. And I really don't care what his girlfriend had, since it was again a salad with mushrooms or something like that. And a mount of fries served with it.

Shrimp (all 3 jumbos served on my mixed grill platter) was outstanding. I think it was fried in butter, and it was executed perfectly, not rubbrery and very moist and flavorful. My pork and chicken, on the other hand.... Ok, I can accept the possibility that this stuff was all fresh before it was thrown on the grill. However, both chicken and and pork were dry. Good flavor though, but I had difficulty giving an excellent grade for something that was supposed to be grilled, but at the same time swam in grease. Even if the grease came out of the pork, it should've been removed from the platter, instead of bathing chicken and shrimp in it. It was impossible for me to finish everyhing (though I killed that shrimp), since the 1-lbs tossed salad already occupied most of my normal volume stomach.

The "oldest Johnny" I ordered for my drink could not have been anything older than Johnny Red. I could possibly have been Black, but my tast buds were confused with too many things to tell at that point. Huge (I mean, huge!) piece of peanut butter creme pie was enough for two women to get extatic over. It was tasty, but the whipped cream topping was too soggy and literally dripped off the top instead of maintaining its shape.

Bill to overfeed four people - $100 plus $20 tip (I really liked the friendly and fast service). You'd probably have to add about $40 to that if you'd ordered steaks. Will I go back? Only with my buddies who are too hungry and drunk to cook, and in need of satisfying "munchies" in a quick and cheap way. There is no way in hell I would come here for a romantic dinner. I really have no idea how this restaurant earned all the Harrisburg Magazine rewards displayed on huge banners hanging on its every wall. This is the place to get drunk, then stuff yourself, then get drunk again, and eat some more - with nobody around to judge you. I think I might do that some night... but not anytime soon.

• Visited October 2011
3 Thank Obolenski
Fernandina Beach, Florida
“Great food but building needs some work”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2011

This restaurant has tremendous large steaks and salads. The steaks are by far the best that I have ever had anywhere. Beware is you go there to eat if it is raining outside, their roof leaks. One member in our group was seated directly under a leak which kept splattering her dinner plate. When the waitress was told about the leak, the comment was "imagine that". My husband and I have eaten here many times but this was a first visit for the friend stuck under the leak.....our friends still wonder what kind of establishment we took them to.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank qikvette
harrisburg, pa
“Large Portions, but not done for Taste”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2011

Portions are very large for the money, but the taste doesn't match the size.

• Visited July 2010