“COCKROACHES!”

Montclair, New Jersey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“COCKROACHES!”
Reviewed July 21, 2010

My boyfriend and I went to Spice after a long day in the hot sun to sit back, relax, and enjoy some good food. We are from out of town and the place looked nice and was not too crowded considering the time we arrived, Well it didn't take long to realize why it was not crowded. We ordered the mussels for our appetizer and they were way over cooked. When we were almost done with them, the waitress came over and asked again what we had ordered for our entrees. She said she couldn’t remember since they were told they were no longer able to write anything down and it was a crazy night. Considering we are both in the restaurant industry, neither one of us could tell what she was talking about since there were only 5 other tables of people and we had each ordered sandwiches. Writing it down would have been a lot more professional that coming back and asking us a second time like it was our fault she didn’t remember it in the first place. The chicken sandwich tasted like plain chicken, no seasonings, just chicken. The bbq steak was alright but nothing to drive me back. Fries were ok. Upon the clearing of our dishes we looked over at the bar which we were sitting next to and saw several cockroaches running on the wall under the bar where people would sit! If we had seen this prior to eating we would have walked out. Save your money and do not go. Tasteless food, incompetent service, and COCKROACHES! You are better off going to a drive through

1 Thank valp14

Harrisburg, PA
“Great atmosphere terrible food.”
Reviewed April 1, 2010

I ordered the Zephyr Pasta (a special the night we went) which was supposed to be ziti with sausage and peas in a ricotta marinara sauce. It was awful! The "sausage" was a spicy hot dog and the sauce tasted like a spicy ketchup. My husband ordered the Apache Grill with jalepeno rice. Everything was so encrusted with the spice rub, that's all you could taste. And the rice just had jalepenos thrown on top. I found it interesting when the wait staff came around to clear the table, they didn't even ask if I needed a box for the more than half a plate of pasta I had left. I guess they're used to people not taking the food home! I would have said no to a box had they asked. I won't waste my money here again.

Chicago, Illinois
“Horrible Food and Horrible Service”
Reviewed November 23, 2009

2 out of the 3 times I have been there, the food has been overcooked, tasteless, or items have been missing from the order. Service is no better including servers being extremely rude. One of my visits, I had to wait 45 minutes for my food. I asked multiple times to speak with the manager on duty and he never came out. No apologies or accommodations were made to account for this either!

Maryland
“Avoid this place at all costs”
Reviewed September 30, 2009

When your side salad comes with wilted leaves (and rotten ones tucked on the bottom), it's not a promising start. No apology from the waitress, just a shrug. Mussels with red sauce that came from a can, horrifically salty. A dry, overcooked hamburger. The meatloaf was good if a bit heavy. The entire plate was criss-crossed with balsamic vinegar (or motor oil) probably 'cause the chef saw that done once on Food Network.

Decor is nice; it's great to have the open windows on the street. Also, waitress automatically added 15% gratuity to our party of 3. One final insult .

Burlington, Vermont
“Great Food- Great Atmosphere”
Reviewed July 29, 2009

In terms of food quality, Spice is one of the best downtown restaurants. They have a good selection on the menu and the prices are reasonable. The open air dining is really nice on a warm day. It is conveniently located on 2nd street. You can't go wrong with Spice.

1 Thank squashirt1