“Terrible place to stay”

Econo Lodge Harrisburg
Ranked #33 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reviewed April 14, 2012

When I first arrived here, the man who barely spoke English and barely understood English stuck me in a room that was freshly painted and the paint fumes were giving me a headache. I'm not one to complain, but I had to get my room switched. It was a strong odor. When I went back to the front desk, that same man was texting on his phone and ignoring me. After me standing there a good minute and a half, he stopped texting and started walking away! I said "excuse me" and he looked back and said "what?". When I explained carefully (since he barely understood what I was saying) that I need a room that wasn't freshly painted, he acted confused and said every room in the hotel smells like paint. I looked at him (now getting a little annoyed) and said "Really? EVERY SINGLE ROOM has been painted at once?!" and at that point he said a couple things I didn't understand and then told me that all the upstairs rooms hadn't been painted. He tried to charge me more for one of those rooms, but I wasn't having it. Keeping people in a room with that strong of paint fumes is a violation of health. My new room had mold stains in the shower and the carpet was disgusting. I stayed here 2 nights because of the price and AAA discount, but I'd honestly rather just pay more somewhere else.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank KellyStdBrd
There are newer reviews for Econo Lodge Harrisburg

Reviewed August 13, 2011

The people were friendly and helpful. The breakfast was good. Needs a pool. Afordable. Overall a good place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed February 19, 2011

This was the first time we stayed at Econo Lodge and it was a very gratifying experience. This is a gem of a hotel that has much to offer; like free and ample parking, excellent complimentary breakfast and a great room which was clean spacious and elegant with a lot of amenities. The hotel is very conveniently located for those visiting the Hershey Park, the Giant Center, downtown Harrisburg and the newly opened Hollywood casino. The fitness room was well laid out with great equipment and was an absolute delight. Best of all were the staff, smiling, courteous and very professional with top notch service. In the future we definitely will stay at this hotel again as it was a very pleasant few days. We highly recommend this hotel to families and those on business.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank digpal
Reviewed August 29, 2010

We stayed here two nights. One night on our way elsewhere and one night on our way back. We chose it because of the price.

The first room had mold stains on the bathroom tiles, but was otherwise adequate. It had a fridge, but no microwave.

The second room was awful. The bed creaked and sagged. The sheets was discolored. There were large spiders high up in the corners. The air-conditioner was incredibly loud. This room had a microwave but no fridge. When we used the coffee maker in the morning it leaked all over.

Both rooms were on the second floor. There is no elevator. The whole place has a musty, smoky smell.

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed August 28, 2009

When I looked this hotel up after the fact I was honestly surprised at how bad the reviews are. Either this place has stepped up it's game considerably or we were just lucky.

We were looking for a place to stay overnight on our way down south. I found a coupon for this HoJo in one of the magazines they have at most rest stops along the highway. This one was right off the highway and inexpensive. All we needed was a clean bed and a good shower, and that's what we got.

While this HoJo certainly offers "no frills" we weren't expecting them either. In contrast to many other reviews I found the room and the lobby to be remarkably clean. The climate control was very effective in the room, and although it was near the highway it wasn't all that noisy. It seems like most of the guests were there for the same reason we were. They just needed a place to stay for the night before getting back on the road the next day.

I don't remember what the rate on the coupon was, but a quick check of my bank account reveals I spent $51 total, included taxes. Which is pretty fair I'd say. Yes, the man at the front desk wasn't the warmest, friendliest guy on earth, but some people just aren't. He did his job though and we had no problems. That's all that mattered to me.

I should probably note here as well that the room had no bathtub, but instead had a very large shower stall. Again, that's fine with me, since hotel bathtubs kind of skeeve me out anyway!

I do remember having trouble connecting to the hotel's WiFi in the room, you really had to go to the lobby for that, but if I remember correctly there was an ethernet line in the room that worked just fine.

For one night at the rate I got, I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 23, 2009

The man at the front desk was extremely rude. After verifying they allowed pets, checking in and specifically requesting a pet room, when I entered carrying my 7-pound dog, the man spoke to us abruptly. We apologized for not understanding him (he spoke very poor English) and he started shouting at us and waving his arms. When we still didn't understand, he went behind the desk and starting waving papers, while continuing to shout. I finally made out "Plus 10 dollar!" and realized he was referring to the pet fee. When I said I knew there was a pet fee, he yelled "Yes! Yes!" We requested a pet room and made no effort to hide the fact that we had a dog. We fully intended to pay the pet fee without being screamed at - which actually frightened my dog. As we were walking away, he began shouting again. I still couldn't understand him, but I did make out "No smoking!" We had requested a nonsmoking room. Had it not been so late, we would have left on the spot.

The room was filthy. The desk area was grimy, the chair had stuffing coming from a large tear in the fabric, the refrigerator was so disgusting I wouldn't use it for my dog's water, the bedspread was stained, as was the side of the mattress. There were two flimsy pillows (for 2 people) and two small, thin bath towels. There was no bathtub - not that we intended to bathe in the dirty bathroom.

The breakfast was sparse and the advertised "free cappuccino bar" was nonexistent. When I asked the girl at the desk about it the next morning, she said the machine was broken and had been removed. At least she was polite and understandable.

This was the first time I've stayed at HJ in more than 15 years - and will be my last. It was horrible.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank AdoptAShelterPet
Reviewed August 24, 2008

First problem - when we booked, we requested a crib. We called the day of our arrival and was told it was on our form that we needed a crib. Upon arrival to hotel - no crib for our 9 mo old. Room smelled, paint peeling off walls, bugs around the windows and too close to highway - noisy. Next morning, at continental breakfast, our 5 y/o bites tells us the powdered donut she has been eating tastes funny. MOLD all over the outside and inside of donut. My husband immediately called the owner of the hotel and the guy could care less. Jay Rathod was his name. So, we took pics and called the PA DOH....was referred to Dept of agriculture and made a complaint. They are investigating. The owner is not running this establishment properly AT ALL. We contested the charges with the credit card company. We refuse to pay for our stay. NEVER again. And it was almost $100/night.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harrisburg
Super 8 Harrisburg Hershey North
Ramada Harrisburg/Hershey Area
Candlewood Suites Harrisburg
Candlewood Suites Harrisburg
#19 of 50 in Harrisburg

Been to Econo Lodge Harrisburg? Share your experiences!