“Great Value”

Hampton Inn Harrisburg East (Hershey Area)
Ranked #6 of 51 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reviewed August 1, 2007

I often choose Hampton Inns because of the value when traveling with my family. I chose this one because it was near Hershey Park. Wonderful all around. Pool was small, but clean and not very busy. Breakfast was very good for a free continental one. I was impressed over how many employees were around. It was very crowded, but there was no lack of food. Also, one of my kids had a spill, and the employees were all over it.

They almost lost my biz at the reservation, though. I was a little non-plussed when I called them to make the reservation, and asked for two adjoining rooms because we were bringing some extra children under the age of 14. They couldn't guarantee we would get adjoining rooms until the day we arrived, which is fair. What wasn't fair was that when I told them I would have to cancel if they couldn't give me adjoining rooms (wouldn't want minors in a room by themselves/non-adjoining), they told me I'd be charged for the rooms for canceling. Prior to calling Hampton Inns to tell them why they were going to lose my biz, I decided to call back and talk to a manager. He acknowledged it was the policy, but understood my predicament and would not charge me if they couldn't accommodate us. Saved much business in the future and me from slamming them in a review.

• Stayed: July 2007
1  Thank amyanderic1

Reviewed July 30, 2007

I just got back from a weekend at the Hampton Inn, just outside of Hershey, PA. I was with my two daughters, ages 11 and 12. The room was small, but comfortable and clean. They include a free breakfast which was bagels, toast, pasteries, cereals and a hot item each day (sausage, eggs or waffles). Service was good. The hotel is about a 15 minute ride to HersheyPark. It is in a convenient location with plenty of restaurants and shops nearby. They have an outdoor pool which was nice for the kids after a long day at the park! I would return here and recommend to friends.... nothing fancy, but comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank beachiemom
Reviewed July 19, 2007

We stayed here and spent 2 nights. We went to Hershey Park for 2 days. The service was friendly, hotel was clean. We didn't go in the outdoor pool, we were too tired from the long day at Hershey Park. About 20 minute drive from Hershey Park, good location next to restaurants and shopping. Nothing fancy, rooms were a little small, but we were only sleeping there. Continental breakfast in the morning. Eat early, not tables left the morning we were checking out

Stayed: July 2007
1  Thank Gmonty
Reviewed April 14, 2007

Reserved a non smoking room with 2 double beds for a trip to a concert at The Whitaker Center in downtown Harrisburg and got just what I asked for and more. The desk staff was courteous and friendly on both check in and when we asked for dinner recommendations - provided typed individualized directions via back roads into the city when we mentioned the purpose of our trip, made helpful suggestions about parking and dinner plans while checking us in efficiently and cheerfully. The location is in a suburban area about 10 minutes from downtown and very easily accessed from I-78, safe and well lit with plenty of chain stores and restaurants nearby, adequate on site parking.

The room was clean, quiet and exceedingly comfortable with absolutely heavenly beds! We found it to be spacious and spotless with nice amenities like a lap desk, small refrigerator and microwave and plenty of good lighting. The bathroom was clean and well laid out with lots of clean towels and good water pressure. Wireless internet worked without a hitch in the room with the access code issued to us with our keys and the in room desk was well situated for working.

A sign at the front desk advertised new beds throughout and ours were fantastic, plush and thick with a down comforter and lots of pillows per bed. With the shades drawn, the room was nice and dark - we could have slept all day! My friend went down to the complimentary breakfast (while I was still lounging in the aforementioned wonderful bed LOL) and reports that offerings were plentiful and fresh. She had no trouble finding a place to sit although other reviewers mentioned this was a problem.

Our trip was off-season for Hershey Park and school vacations so I can't say how the hotel holds up under a barrage of tourists, but the parking lot was full and it seemed that the hotel was far from empty during our stay and we had no problems at all. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel and I'll be staying there again if I need to travel to the Harrisburg Area.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank irishstjean
Reviewed March 22, 2007

We recently stayed at this hotel as part of a Hershey hockey tournament and during a strong winter nor'easter.

First comment, in a storm, it is real easy to miss the sign to the hotel; it is back on a hill. I would like to see a more visible sign right on the road.

It was clear the hotel was having staffing difficulties; Some staff could not make it to the hotel in the storm and others could not leave. Some staff were working multiple shifts. Food was slow but I thought given the pressure of the storm the staff did very well. High marks.

As a sports team, they had us sign a bunch of ridiculous forms. Some of the items on the form they tried to have me sign were inappropriate. But what was most frustrating is after signing all these forms, they then did not enforce anything in those forms. Specifically, while the form said that there was a curfew, they did not enforce it and there were kids running up and down the hallways late into the night. The hotel was noisy and it was difficult to get to sleep. I would like to see the hotel create a reasonable team form for sign in, and then enforce it. Know that this is a loud hotel and the hotel will not stop the other team from running up and down your hallway or doing ding-dong-ditch.

The hotel admits dogs. The pools is much nicer than pictured, with foosball, ping pong, and billiards. The outside (which was covered with snow) looked wonderful with hot tub, large pool, tennis courts, and a basketball court.

Bottom line - I would have given the hotel high marks but for the running up and down the hallways of kids.

• Stayed: March 2007
1  Thank GenSanFrancisco
Reviewed August 15, 2006

This is a busy hotel crammed with families vacationing in the Hershey area. But we had very few complaints--the room was spacious and clean, with a fridge and a microwave, and the outdoor pool was pleasant. The hotel's location is also fairly convenient, with a grocery store, several banks, and plenty of restaurants within a short drive.

My main complaint: dirty grout in the bathtub! There's not much of an excuse for it, and it makes an otherwise spotless room seem skanky.

Also, breakfast was all right, but the only hot item was a dubious-looking egg biscuit. We found food more to our liking at the Waffle House, a few minutes west on Union Deposit Road.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
2  Thank DrGoldin
Reviewed July 6, 2006

The minute we entered the lobby, there was a line of people and many of our rooms were not ready even though it was 3pm, check in time. After a half hour, we were given a room which was... not ready. We lugged our stuff back down to the lobby and was given another room. Room was ok, not the cleanest, especially in the bathroom. Some of the towels were dirty. The bed was comfortable and the pillows were plentiful and decent. Breakfast the next morning was a complete zoo!! Not only was there VERY limited seating, you could not even get to the food. Eventually, we managed to get a few items but had to bring it back up to the room to eat. When checking out, I commented to the front desk how crowded it was and they remarked that it is always this way in the summer. I thought it was because we were there on a holdiday weekend but if its always like that, they should do something to alleviate the mess in the lobby. The staff was nice and did the best they could, but the management really needs to add staff and organize the seating area for breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2006