“Weathering the Storm”

Hampton Inn Harrisburg East (Hershey Area)
Ranked #6 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
San Francisco
“Weathering the Storm”
Reviewed March 22, 2007

We recently stayed at this hotel as part of a Hershey hockey tournament and during a strong winter nor'easter.

First comment, in a storm, it is real easy to miss the sign to the hotel; it is back on a hill. I would like to see a more visible sign right on the road.

It was clear the hotel was having staffing difficulties; Some staff could not make it to the hotel in the storm and others could not leave. Some staff were working multiple shifts. Food was slow but I thought given the pressure of the storm the staff did very well. High marks.

As a sports team, they had us sign a bunch of ridiculous forms. Some of the items on the form they tried to have me sign were inappropriate. But what was most frustrating is after signing all these forms, they then did not enforce anything in those forms. Specifically, while the form said that there was a curfew, they did not enforce it and there were kids running up and down the hallways late into the night. The hotel was noisy and it was difficult to get to sleep. I would like to see the hotel create a reasonable team form for sign in, and then enforce it. Know that this is a loud hotel and the hotel will not stop the other team from running up and down your hallway or doing ding-dong-ditch.

The hotel admits dogs. The pools is much nicer than pictured, with foosball, ping pong, and billiards. The outside (which was covered with snow) looked wonderful with hot tub, large pool, tennis courts, and a basketball court.

Bottom line - I would have given the hotel high marks but for the running up and down the hallways of kids.

• Liked — We had to stay here
  • Disliked — Kids running up and down in the hallway
  • Stayed March 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank GenSanFrancisco

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Yardley, PA
Reviewed August 15, 2006

This is a busy hotel crammed with families vacationing in the Hershey area. But we had very few complaints--the room was spacious and clean, with a fridge and a microwave, and the outdoor pool was pleasant. The hotel's location is also fairly convenient, with a grocery store, several banks, and plenty of restaurants within a short drive.

My main complaint: dirty grout in the bathtub! There's not much of an excuse for it, and it makes an otherwise spotless room seem skanky.

Also, breakfast was all right, but the only hot item was a dubious-looking egg biscuit. We found food more to our liking at the Waffle House, a few minutes west on Union Deposit Road.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank DrGoldin
North Jersey
Reviewed July 6, 2006

The minute we entered the lobby, there was a line of people and many of our rooms were not ready even though it was 3pm, check in time. After a half hour, we were given a room which was... not ready. We lugged our stuff back down to the lobby and was given another room. Room was ok, not the cleanest, especially in the bathroom. Some of the towels were dirty. The bed was comfortable and the pillows were plentiful and decent. Breakfast the next morning was a complete zoo!! Not only was there VERY limited seating, you could not even get to the food. Eventually, we managed to get a few items but had to bring it back up to the room to eat. When checking out, I commented to the front desk how crowded it was and they remarked that it is always this way in the summer. I thought it was because we were there on a holdiday weekend but if its always like that, they should do something to alleviate the mess in the lobby. The staff was nice and did the best they could, but the management really needs to add staff and organize the seating area for breakfast.

• Stayed July 2006
2 Thank SL_loves_travel
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 18, 2005

great place to stay to visit hershey park - only a 15 minute drive. the breakfast was nice although there wasn't much seating. don't buy their discount tickets to hershey park. there is much more of a discount if you purchase your tickets through the giant foods supermarkets (there is one across the street). after buying our tickets for sunday, we were able to go to a free preview of hershey 2 1/2 hours before the park closed on saturday evening. parking was $8 at hershey but there was no need to pay again the next day. monday we went to the chocolate museum (free parking for 2hrs).

• Stayed September 2005
5 Thank dhsn
ny
Reviewed August 7, 2005

My impression of this hotel got off to a bad start. On checkin, I was told there were no cribs available when I had reserved one. My 8 month old had to sleep with me for several nights. During checkin, the A/C vent above the desk drips on you. Condensation leaking on ceiling in my room as well. Other guests had similar problem but I was on the top floor so I did not ask to change rooms. My room was clean. Looked like new carpet. Maid cleaned the room but forgot towels. Took several hours before towels arrive after problem was reported. Front desk was not too friendly. You have to ask to be put on a list or your request seems to be forgotten. Pool was outside. Breakfast buffet was good. The ladies had a tough time keeping it stocked. Microwave and fridge in room. Overall, the hotel was a good value. Lots of restaurant choices on street. Very easy and short drive to Hershey Park.

• Stayed July 2005
3 Thank unytraveler
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 11, 2003

On March 10th 2003 at approximately 4PM I was checked in to the hotel by the most unsociable person that I have met in a long while her name was Lindsay. When I gave her my name she never even acknowledged me and proceeded to check me in. She then gave me my key card and said you are on the second floor, no room number just the second floor. never advised me that breakfast was at 6AM or never ask if I wanted a wake up call. and above all never said thank you. On the other hand the person that I was with was checked in by a friendly, cordial person who wasn't afraid to smile or be helpful. Think I will go back to the Sheraton.

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member