“Nice Place”

Hampton Inn Harrisburg East (Hershey Area)
Ranked #5 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
New York
“Nice Place”
Reviewed August 4, 2008

This is a nice hotel to stay at in the Hershey area. It was easily accessible from the highway. The room was very nicely furnished and clean and included a microwave and fridge which was nice. They also have a nice outdoor pool. Breakfast was good and they offered cookies in the lobby at night.
The only cons would be the front staff were not too friendly and housekeeping tried to rush you out to clean the room.

Stayed August 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Winston-Salem, NC
Reviewed December 17, 2007

It was just ok. It smelled like cow manure, and was somewhat out in the middle of nowhere. The rooms need to be updated a bit (especially the popcorn spackle ceilings). The breakfast was ok, and the price was around the same amount of quality you would expect for an "ok" hotel.

• Liked — HBO
  • Disliked — Ceilings
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank velasco1983
Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 26, 2007

I usually stay at this hotel when I travel to Harrisburg. It has great beds! The hotel is located in good area that is close to shopping including Gabriel's.

During this last trip, I booked a smoking room because there was nothing left that was non-smoking. I was about to change my reservation to another hotel because I don't like the smell of smoke in a room and a staff person went out of her way to call me to let me know that I could have a non-smoking room because someone cancelled. I appreciated her calling and I was thankful I didn't have to change my plans.

I really dislike that Hilton has NOT followed the lead of Marriott to make all of their rooms non-smoking,. GO NON SMOKING and I would give you a 5 star rating.

• Disliked — That they still have smoking rooms.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank Joscat
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed September 6, 2007

I was very disappointed after arriving at this hotel, based on the good reviews everyone on this site had written (was this even the same hotel?!) I was expecting MUCH better! Maybe I am too critical?! I traveled here with my boyfriend (we are 26 if that matters) and used this hotel because it was close to Lancaster Amish Country and Hershey Park.

I booked my room through the Hampton Inn main phone number. Since I was booking only a few days in advance of our trip I didn't have many options, as most hotels were booked! When I received the confirmation email I realized the booking agent booked the wrong hotel! Apparently they have two hotels with almost identical names, that are both 7 miles from Hershey! I didn't bother to change the reservation because I didn't want the hassle and the two hotels seemed identical anyway.

When we arrived (around 7pm) we asked to check the room first before checking in. Since they only had non-smoking rooms left I wanted to be sure they wouldn't be TOO bad, since we are non-smokers! The girl let us look at the only two rooms they had available and they were both equally smoky-smelling! We took one anyway since we wouldn't be spending most of the day there anyway.

Besides the horrible smoke odors, the carpets smelled and seemed as though they haven't been cleaned in years!! Everything seemed sticky and just very unclean. There was a huge mold spot in the corner of the bathroom above the shower head, along with peeling wallpaper and leftover hairs on the floor from previous guests. The towels were so rough they were uncomfortable to use! The room had a small refrigerator which also contained hairs in it!! That was gross! Overall, I didn't feel like this place was clean at all!

The beds were also uncomfortable, as well as the pillows. We both woke up with a sore back AND neck both mornings!

The hotel overall needs a major renovation. Everything is very dated, old and dirty. The elevators were also very slow and scary, making noises and wobbling! The pool was VERY small and was located in the back of the hotel right alongside the parking lot, no bushes or anything to separate it.

I went to breakfast the morning we checked out, only to have the woman turn off the juice machine as I was waiting to fill my cup. Yes it was 10am, the ending of breakfast, but she couldn't wait 5 seconds?!

In the end I would not recommend this hotel. I'd go elsewhere that was cleaner and a little more up to date! It definitely was not worth the $150/night I paid! (I'd pay no more than $70 for this place!)

It was close to Hershey, about 20 minutes each way. It was about 40 minutes from Lancaster/Amish Country. There were a few restaurants within a 5 minute drive (Outback, TGIFridays, Panera Bread) as well as a CVS right across the street and some others stores, and it was only about half a mile from the highway entrance.

• Liked — Close to Hersheypark
  • Disliked — Unclean, overpriced for what was offered, TINY pool
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shannon E
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed August 26, 2007

We booked two rooms for Aug 23, 2007. The front desk staff at check-in was friendly and helpful. The hotel is pretty large and well-kept. Sound proofing could use some help. You can hear everything in the hallways, but I didn't hear much from the rooms on either side of us (except the usual running water, etc).
This is definitely a family hotel, so kids abounded. The breakfast was okay. You can certainly find something that will hold you over. The staff at breakfast was quick, responsive and very welcoming. This was our second stay at a Hampton Inn in about a week and we've been impressed with the staff and service. If it comes to choosing between similiar hotels, Hampton Inn has our vote.

• Liked — Staff friendliness
  • Disliked — Noise levels
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank FS_Junkie_with_kids
Rhode Island
Reviewed August 18, 2007

After staying one night in a less than acceptable Harrisburg hotel, I looked for other accomodations and found vacancy at the Hampton Inn & Suites. Having 3 kids with me, one who is older and 2 young, I needed as much room as possible. We were able to book a 1 bedroom suite which was also non-smoking. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of this room and the space provided. The pool was adequate while a little of a pain to get to from our 3rd floor corner room. You had to go outside to get to the pool and the access to a restroom while at the pool was not easy. The continental breakfast was good and the dining area very comfortable. My kids and I had a very nice 2 night stay here and would return to this location without hesitation.

• Liked — The room.
  • Disliked — The access to the pool.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Lmcintyre
Maryland
Reviewed August 1, 2007

I often choose Hampton Inns because of the value when traveling with my family. I chose this one because it was near Hershey Park. Wonderful all around. Pool was small, but clean and not very busy. Breakfast was very good for a free continental one. I was impressed over how many employees were around. It was very crowded, but there was no lack of food. Also, one of my kids had a spill, and the employees were all over it.

They almost lost my biz at the reservation, though. I was a little non-plussed when I called them to make the reservation, and asked for two adjoining rooms because we were bringing some extra children under the age of 14. They couldn't guarantee we would get adjoining rooms until the day we arrived, which is fair. What wasn't fair was that when I told them I would have to cancel if they couldn't give me adjoining rooms (wouldn't want minors in a room by themselves/non-adjoining), they told me I'd be charged for the rooms for canceling. Prior to calling Hampton Inns to tell them why they were going to lose my biz, I decided to call back and talk to a manager. He acknowledged it was the policy, but understood my predicament and would not charge me if they couldn't accommodate us. Saved much business in the future and me from slamming them in a review.

• Stayed July 2007