“Close to Hershey Park”

Hampton Inn Harrisburg East (Hershey Area)
Ranked #6 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reviewed January 11, 2012

Clean hotel room. Nice staff. Clost to Hershey Park. Price was a little high for a Hampton Inn. Only drawback is the pool is only outdoors and is very small.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Julianna72
UDHampton, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn Harrisburg East (Hershey Area), responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2012

Dear Julianna72,

Thank you so much for taking the time to voice your comments. In regards to the pricing we make every attemp to keep our rates competetive as possible in caparison to other hotels in our area. We certainly hope to see you again soon, perhaps in the summer months so that you can have the opportunity to enjoy our pool!

There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn Harrisburg East (Hershey Area)

Reviewed December 20, 2011

Yes, I know it is redundant - always consistent - but that is good way to describe Hampton Inn chain. I have stayed in may of them. You always know what to expect - and you get it. Clean, nice rooms, simple good breakfast. This one matches the mold.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Morgan2010
Reviewed November 30, 2011

This is your basic solid, comfortable Hampton Experience. Rooms are very comfortable. Staff is very accommodating. Non summer rates are very good for what you get...nice room, good breakfast.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room facing back, otherwise you are looking at a shopping sprawl with lights on al...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jabsandy
Reviewed November 27, 2011

No problems...didn't get a chance to use the wireless, so I can't review that. Room was a little bigger than usual, which was nice. Clean, and well-kept. Two issues...the gym didn't have a water dispenser (minor point), and the eggs for breakfast were god-awful. Really bad. Avoid them. Rest of the breakfast was fine.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank jhawks1510
Reviewed November 21, 2011

The property was very local to downtown Harrisburg, a mere 6 miles away and a fast commute on decent roads, and had a very good rate, thus my booking.

On arrival, the picture of the exterior matched the property. The lobby area was inviting, and the check in efficient. All upkeep in that area looked clean and the overall decor new-ish. It felt good.

Enter left elevator and right elevator (As you stared at their golden doors facing them), your only central access to the upper floors unless you wanted a walk to either hallway end and a flight of stairs walk up. Each had their up's and down's (Yes,a very bad elevator pun) Both had linoleum from the 70's. The kind I ripped up in an apartment I once owned in favor of wood floors. It was great for hiding stains, but was showing it's age and had spots that "felt" sunken. Not a good feeling in an elevator floor. Left elevator cried when the door opened on every floor, a groaning sound of a door that wanted adjustment. The button panel was loose, so much so when you pushed your floor button, the wall moved. Nice. Then somewhere in between floor 3 and 4, a loud "thunk" occurs. It was like clockwork, and did it all week. That thunk became familiar, but the first occurrence was a shock. Right elevator door didn't open slowly, it spasm'd open. Upon reaching upper floors, it started to shake and shudder, like the hydraulics were climbing a hill. It too was consistent in it's behavior all week.

The bedroom of the room was nice. This property was older, but had renovated the bedroom area, and it showed. The AC was quiet, didn't blow on the bed area, the carpet was clean, and the bed comfortable. I liked the lighting and the TV (a flat screen). The TV didn't have on-demand, but did have a lot of channels to offer.

The bathroom stood up (or down as the case was made) to the reviews on Tripadvisor. It sorely needed the promised management renovation. I included a few pictures of the old lighting fixtures and ugly water stain peeling off the wallpaper in a corner of the bathroom. I was happy that the fixtures all worked and the nightlight was bright and cheery.

Breakfast was very good and hot. A typical Hampton breakfast, but the hot tray was always stocked, not depleted.

Check out was as efficient as the check in.

My summary is a recommendation to stay here rather than downtown, as the value is well worth it, and they have promised to renovate the bathrooms soon. My suggestion is they renovate the elevators sooner, as the impression it gives is scary and dull/old compared to the overall nice lobby and rooms.

Room Tip: All the rooms are equal here.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 9, 2011

I was disappointed that I booked a night at this property - especially for the rate I paid. When I walked into the lobby it was crowed with a soccer team checking in. Apparently the desk staff was having computer problems, so the entire process took about 15 minutes. The staff was friendly enough, but certainly didn't go out of their way to acknowledge you or make an effort to get you on your way.

The layout of the lobby and breakfast area was poorly designed and always crowded leaving you to fight your way through a crowd to get in and out. The elevators were also terribly slow.

The rooms were ok, but the layout (again) was poor. I was in a king study (with a sofa) - but it felt very cramped the way the bed, desk and wardrobe were arranged (you couldn't open both doors to the wardrobe because of the nightstand). The bathroom was ok, but needed some work and had mold in the shower.

The AC unit in my room was very loud and as it ended a cooling cycle (though it never really did much to cool the room), there was a very loud thud - not helpful if you're a light sleeper like me.

The location is ok - right off I-83 and about 10 minutes from the airport. I decided to skip breakfast in the morning, so can't comment on the quality of food.

Overall, I would not book a room here again. I only did on this trip because the rates at other Hilton properties were quite high that night (though this was still $125).

Room Tip: A high floor will get you away from the noise of the lobby, but they take extra effort to get to wit...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
UDHampton, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn Harrisburg East (Hershey Area), responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2011

Dear ROTPS144,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property as we love to hear from our guest on any ways to ensure guest satisfaction. I apologize upon your entrance to our hotel having to walk in during the arrival of a soccer team staying with us. Since your stay we have solved the computer problem and have speeded up the checkin process. Also, we are currently in the process of redesigning and renovating our lobby and breakfast areas to accommodate more guests, as well renovating guest room bathrooms and updating air conditioning units. If you are in the Harrisburg area again we would love if you give us a second chance and I would recommend maybe looking into one of our suites that offer more room.

Once again thank you for talking time to review our property and please contact me at Leona.Lewis@hilton.com if you have any further question.

Leona Lewis
Front Office Manager

Reviewed October 8, 2011

ANother great stay at Hampton Inn. As always, quick checkin, room clean and breakfast the next day. Due to flooding in area, I left very early to get home.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
UDHampton, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn Harrisburg East (Hershey Area), responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2011

Dear Cvandenbraak,

Happy to hear your stay met the quality and service Hampton is known for. Hope all is well in your area due to the flooding. It's always a pleasure to get feedback from our guests and we appreciate your loyalty. We look forward to seeing and hearing from you again soon here at the Hampton Inn-East!

Leona Lewis