“Nice hotel except for the restaurant”

Crowne Plaza Harrisburg-Hershey
Ranked #28 of 51 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Nice hotel except for the restaurant. The restaurant lacks a good menu, it is very basic. Saying this the lunch I had was good, but soup and sandwiches simply don't go inline with Crowne Plaza. Great friendly staff all round!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
CPHBGMGR, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Harrisburg-Hershey, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

Thrilled you loved the hotel! I hope you had a great time in the Harrisburg/Hershey area visiting all of the sites and tastes! As for the taste in our restaurant....GREAT NEWS! Our new Chef has implemented a new menu that is rolling out during the week of August 6th. Items for breakfast include: Oatmeal with bruleed bananas & raisins, Lox & Bagel, Crab Cake Eggs Benedict. Lunch includes: Bourbon Glazed Atlantic Salmon Filet Sandwich, Crab Cake Sandwich with Black Sauce & Honey Mustard Drizzle, Salmon Salad with a Garlic Lemon Vinaigrette. And tempt your taste buds with these dinner entrees: Shrimp & Sea Scallop a la Lucalus, Sole Meunerie, Marinated Twin Chicken Breasts with Mango Salsa! Sorry you weren't able to enjoy this menu on the past visit - hopefully you will return to experience the new and improved version! Thank you again for the great feedback!

Reviewed July 15, 2012

Booked last minute for a two day stay and got a greatly reduced rate. First thing you get when you arrive is a $18/day fee for parking. Not knowing the area and it being 10:30pm, it seemed like the thin to do.
Staff is very good, friendly and attentive. Rooms need to be updated. Wall Paper peeling, dings, dents, bad plaster fixes. The Bathroom is very small.
Now here’s my thing….. When did this big “Green initiative” become a way for hotels to offer fewer services? No longer do they wash and changes sheets each day. I didn’t know Vacuuming was a perk. Clean glasses are no longer replaced for dirty ones.
Beds are now made and towels are replaced (if you leave them on the floor) and that is about all you get.
I requested our room to re-cleaned and they said “absolutely”. However it never was. I take that to mean that this services isn’t available.
I complained and they were apologetic and offered some additional perks which was as much as the front desk could do.
If I would have paid regular rates, I would have been greatly disappointed. I did however get what I paid for.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for sharing. I feel terrible about the impression you received from our hotel in regards to the housekeeping service. You are correct, the Green Initiative does allow Hotels to not change sheets but every three days. However, if we said we would clean the room, the attendant should have changed every last sheet. For this I am truly sorry. Glasses are absolutely supposed to be replaced (unless someone leaves a glass with what appears to be water in it - sometimes guests put their contact lenses in glasses if they forgot their contact case - I have personally done that so we ask our attendants to leave any glasses that look to have water in them). A room is supposed to be completely refreshed including vacuuming, this is our standard. I will determine who on staff needs a "refresher" on "refreshing" a guestroom. Please know this will be addressed and handled swiftly. Happy that you enjoyed the staff and services..... If you have any further feedback for me, I can always be contacted at 717-920-1781.

Reviewed July 13, 2012

Hotel is too old and small. Carpet is really dirty. Service is the worst one. Nothing is worth to stay.

1  Thank Y K

Thanks for the kind words about the Hotel and Max at the bar! He was thrilled to see his name on Trip Advisor! The staff appreciates your thoughtful comments! Safe Travels!

Reviewed July 13, 2012

My $73 booking with one of the bidding sites landed us a great experience. I was expecting a poor view, lumpy bed and dirth room. It couldn't be further from expectations. Great, clean, well appointed room. The staff was friendly. Max at 2wentythre3 made sure our Teens were pleased with the meal. Thanks to the staff for a great experience.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

We came to Harrisburg for a family wedding. Hotel had a block of rooms reserved for the group. We decided to book a better room, and my husband called customer service and ended up reserving what he was told was a room with a "big tub" and that the room was "much nicer" than their regular rooms. When we got to the hotel, after dealing with their valet parking and almost getting hit in the entrance way, our room was not ready, even though it was check-in time. We had to be at the wedding rehearsal in an hour. We waited for the room, but the hotel didn't tell us the room was ready as they said they would, we had to go back up to the desk...was finally ready around 4:30. We ended up late to the rehearsal.

Our room, for being a "nicer" room was tiny! I'm not sure what we were paying extra for, and the staff apologized to us when we checked in, but we received no rate reduction. The bathroom was of decent size but had no "big tub", just an ordinary, paint chipped bathroom, nothing fancy at all. While we were there, their elevators broke twice, leaving one working elevator for the entire hotel. The pool area was gorgeous, but it was so hot we couldn't stay in more than a couple of minutes. When we were ready to check out, the elevator broke again, and the valet was getting antsy about our vehicle sitting out while we attempted to go upstairs with a luggage cart to get our stuff...about 20 minutes of waiting later, the WONDERFUL bellhop snuck us upstairs via the service elevator, where we endured dirty looks and comments from the staff. So happy to get our stuff and get the heck out of this place. I could go on...the room overlooked dumpsters...at least the AC was cold and the room was clean. The room was quiet too, which is definitely a plus. The neighborhood was iffy though there are some fun late-night spots nearby. Breakfast buffet was ok, but there was no toast. Weird. Hopefully my travels don't take me back to Harrisburg, but if they do, I won't be staying here again. Kind of a rip-off for the price, and the room that was not as advertised, not to mention the whole elevator situation and rude valet staff. I've stayed in other Crowne Plaza hotels and this one was a total disappointment.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Kathryn G

Thank you for your feedback and I am so sorry we did not reduce your rate! We have never had big tubs......not sure where they would fit, but needless to say, not correct information and I apologize for that. Please contact me directly - I want to offer you a credit on your account for this inconvenience - I can be reached at 717-920-1781. I am also sorry about the elevators, which have been fixed since May, as well as the indoor pool. Please contact me for compensation - I want to make it right. If Trip Advisor is able to assist in contacting this guest for us, we would be very grateful.

Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

Each and every staff member was sincerely helpful and nice. This made for a good stay. They were happy to help with special requests and advice about the area.

As others have written, it appears to be an older property that is being spruced up. The rooms arent bad and aren't as small as I expected. What I thought was strange was how the bed was a small queen (seriously, not the size of the queen I have at home but whatever) though room easily could have accommodated a king. The bathroom was spic and span but the toilet was in the strangest place in relation to door. Minor stuff I guess... The room overall felt clean though there was some dust in the drawers. The worst part was the a/c unit which was loud and turned on an off in a way that was a bit jarring during sleep.

Not sure what was up with the pool but the water was seriously warm and very murky. Far from refreshing on a 100 degree day.

The area is convenient though parking is expensive. Find a spot on the street if you can.

Yes, you'll see a lot of interesting characters in the area but they seems mostly harmless. That said I wouldn't walk alone at night in the area.

We loved some of the local architecture and sun setting on the river just a few blocks away. The newly restored catholic cathedral is just stunning.

It's an easy drive to Hershey and I think it is much chaperoned to stay in Harrisburg than near the park.

• Stayed: July 2012

Thank you for complimenting the staff - everyone tries hard to ensure guest happiness....actually, I take that back.....they don't have to try hard, the truly enjoy creating great experiences for guests visiting their "home". The staff is fun, even through life's glitches we have a great time entertaining. Glad you enjoyed all of the charm of the City as well.
Safe Travels!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Upon arrival we were greeted by a rude valet wanting to park our car for $18. $18 in Harrisburg! He informed us that we could look for off street parking, but there wasn't much around and that we should be careful because it is a high crime area. Also, there was so much construction around that they had a lot of the street level parking spots roped off.

Then we went to check in and our room wasn't ready. All in all it was over an hour before we got to our room. Room was nice but tiny. The bath was so small that they had to put the toilet in on an angle just to give you room for your legs. Maybe it was an oddball hotwire special, so if you go, avoid room 332.

There were only a couple of channels on the TV so I called down to see if they were having issues. They said that the stormed knocked out the cable. Seemed shady to me as there was a storm in the area, but it missed us by a couple of miles. Cable was still out when we left the next morning.

Things didn't get any better at departure. Had an early flight out of Harrisburg, so we checked out at 5 am. The sign at the valet said to allow for an approximate wait time of 7 minutes to get your car. After waiting 20 minutes I went out to make sure the attendant knew that we were waiting. He said "It's just me and I have 3 cars to do". Ended up being a 30 minute wait to get our car.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Hello.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I will be sharing this feedback with the valet parking company for their immediate action. It is a great tip to park on the street, however, the comment about crime was completely inappropriate. Harrisburg City may have had issues earlier in the year, however, it is a very safe place to visit and enjoy. Guests park on the street every single weekend....even some business travelers park on the street during the week when they arrive after 5pm and depart before 8am. I see them on my way into work and chuckle.....smart. So, if even business travelers are doing it - it's a great idea! We did have our satellite go out on a Saturday night in either late June or early July. Strange glitch, but obviously you were affected and for that I am sorry. All in all the valet seemed to be a disappointment that I am certain the owner of the company will address immediately. They are a great company to work with and want to provide the best possible service for our mutual guests.....obviously some need more training, which will occur. If you should have any additional feedback for me, please contact me at 717-920-1781.