“Fine for a night”

Crowne Plaza Harrisburg-Hershey
Ranked #28 of 51 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reviewed June 23, 2012

We were passing through Harrisburg in transit, so tried our luck on Priceline and landed here. I likely wouldn't have chosen it otherwise. The neighborhood was a little sketchy. We arrived late (11ish), parked on the street overnight and I was relieved in the AM that our packed-to-the-brim car didn't have a broken window and and empty hatchback. Our room looked onto a very depressing apartment building and construction site.

The rooms are relatively attractive -- I think the entire Holiday Inn chain is upgrading interiors. Beds comfortable, good wifi, ample outlets. Bathrooms are just OK -- nice fixtures and countertops, but limited counter space and storage. Towels soft. Amenities so-so.

Front desk staff very friendly at check in and departure. One frustrating note: the hotel's request that I pay an upcharge of $50 for a room with two doubles rather than a queen -- even though the posted rate for either room was identical. The desk staff said it was Priceline policy, Priceline denied it. Who knows?

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the other side of the ugly, depressing apartment building.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed June 10, 2012

My husband and I like Crowne Plazas and we have stayed at several on our vacation we're on.

We were aware of the $18 valet parking before we got here, so that wasn't an issue to pay it. However, when we pulled up, we apparently pulled up into a wrong spot and the valet attendant lady started screaming at us to not park there. It wasn't out of fear that we would get hit, but you could tell she was angry that we parked somewhere we shouldn't have.

Other than the rude valet parking attendant, everything else about the hotel and the service was top notch!!! We were well taken care of from the second we walked through the front door.

The rooms are very clean and comfortable. The bed was very comfortable as well. They are a little bit smaller than you'd expect at a Crowne Plaza.

We would definitely come back and stay, but we would park somewhere else and take a taxi in if we had to.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
CPHBGMGR, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Harrisburg-Hershey, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2012

Hello !

First, I want to thank you for your nice comments about the Hotel and about our great staff. They enjoy reading about happy guests. I am truly very sorry about the experience you had with the valet attendant. I would really like to speak with you regarding the incident. I do not want this to happen to any other person, please contact me so I can ensure future experiences are handled much better. I can be reached at 717-920-1781. I look foward to speaking with you. And, again, thanks for enjoying our Hotel !

Reviewed June 8, 2012

I spent approximately two weeks at the Crowne Plaza on business. The staff was top notch, always welcoming and helpful. The hotel is located in easy walking distance to numerous restaurants and accessing I-83 is easy. The breakfast buffet offers your standard assortment of eggs, cereals, and pastries, but it also had a nice selection of fresh fruit daily. I ate dinner in both the restaurant and at the bar. The food was always good and reasonably priced, especially with the Priority Club coupons. Nightly happy hour at the bar with half price drinks was a definite plus.

On the negative side, the $18 per night parking charge is a pain, but they clearly state it when you make a reservation thru them and there are other options if you are willing to search for spots. The fitness center was spacious and had a wide assortment of modern equipment, but 3/4 of the equipment was out of order while I was there. The room was nice and they are in the process of updating the decor, but there were some minor issues. The tub showed signs of wear around the drain, but was serviceable and clean. Water pressure was an issue at times. It was usually fine, but would drop dramatically when certain other rooms flushed their toilets. I noticed this in both the shower and the sink.

Overall I was very pleased with my stay. Although there were some things I would have changed, I never once felt the urge to change hotels. If I have to return to Harrisburg on business, I will stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for staying with us for a few weeks! We truly appreicate that you shared your kind feedback with tripadvisor fans around the world. Glad you are noticing the updates in the guestrooms! We hope your travels will bring you back to us! Best wishes!

Reviewed May 21, 2012

Only downside is the $20 per night parking fee, however after reading other reviews I parked on the street directly across from the hotel(lucked out) as I arrived at 4pm, (metered parking ends at 5pm) so paid the $1 to the meter. Attended a dinner function and prayed I'd find another spot on the street outside the hotel, as go a couple blocks away from the property and the neighborhood gets dicey.
Lucked out and found the same spot from earlier, so woke up at 8AM to fill the meter for another hour ($1) before leaving.(meters are 8am-5pm)
Hotel is updated, clean however rooms are small, but if it meets the magical 3 of Clean, updated and well maintained - then a home run in my book. Made reservation via price line, so great rate for a nice hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the river - great views of the bridge, church, etc.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Got this through Priceline. Central Location, with a riverside walk a block away.
Valet parking was a shock - $18.00 per 24 hrs rather than $12.00 I expected. I shooed the valet guy away politely and parked on the street ( as it was a weekend).
There is no indication when you book that ALL guests have to use the valet ( a 50% hike on the parking rate). I raised the issue with the front desk on arrival. .

Room decor needs a change.
Complementary internet access for 24 hrs.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Olusoji O
CPHBGMGR, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Harrisburg-Hershey, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2012

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that the parking rates were not listed on Priceline's website. We had requested that the $18 valet fee be added, but Priceline will not allow it on their site, according to their Market Manager. However, they did say they send a confirmation email to guests with that included in the email.

Also, our room decor is being updated. We are 50% complete with Crowne Plaza Bedding Refresh which creates a much warmer feel to our guestrooms. It is a great change!

Much appreciated!
Stephanie Foose, General Manager

Reviewed April 16, 2012

The hotel is easy to get to, but parking is not the greatest. I was being dropped off at the front door this past weekend and there were 2 or 3 taxis and 1-2 other cars right there in the front and the parking/valet guy shooed us away as to we could not drop off. Drove around the block and same situation when we got back, so just pulled over in the road and used flashers, not safe or convenient. However the front desk staff was very friendly upon arrival and I did have a concern about the air conditioning and the sent a maintinence guy right up at 10:30 at night and got the problem fixed immediatly. Will DEFINATELY stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bob G

Thank you for your thoughts, Bob G! We do have great location right along Restaurant Row and a block from Riverfront Park, City Island and more! It's always nice on sunny, warm weekend nights to see people all along 2nd street looking for a great place to eat and enjoying the scenery. The front of the Hotel does get busy and exciting on weekends with folks coming and going. However, our valet attendants are amazing and work magic with ensuring all guests are accommodated as best as possible. It's actually impressive to watch.

Much appreciated for your feedback and time!

Reviewed April 16, 2012

Hotel is located in the heart of downtown Harrisburg with numerous restaurants, eateries, bars and night clubs nearby. The Forum and Capitol Complex area are a few blocks away.
Main entrance to hotel faces busy downtown street and there is limited parking during check-in. Valet parking is available but if you are there on the weekend, street parking is free after 5pm on Friday.
Spacious lobby area and a friendly staff that had no problem accommodating my room change request.
Beware of room #301. Severely obstructed view from very close by buildings with the added problem of the hotel's ac units and their accompanying noise just outside your window.
Best views are upper floors on west side of the building.
Room was comfortable and fairly quiet. However, at 5'11" I found my feet dangling off the end of a king size bed.
Room service was a bit slow but the service was extremely friendly and genuine.
The clam chowder is awesome!

Room Tip: A/C unit noise on 3rd floor. Higher floors on west side of the building for the best views of downt...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank secled

Thank you for your detailed feedback! We appreciate that you recognize the staff, they so enjoy knowing they make a difference. I apologize for the delay in your in-room dining experience. And, you are right, the clam chowder is fantastic! The Chef's Mushroom Barley Soup is even more remarkable!

Safe Travels!