“Good Value-Great Location”

Crowne Plaza Harrisburg-Hershey
Ranked #28 of 51 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Hotel is located in the heart of downtown Harrisburg with numerous restaurants, eateries, bars and night clubs nearby. The Forum and Capitol Complex area are a few blocks away.
Main entrance to hotel faces busy downtown street and there is limited parking during check-in. Valet parking is available but if you are there on the weekend, street parking is free after 5pm on Friday.
Spacious lobby area and a friendly staff that had no problem accommodating my room change request.
Beware of room #301. Severely obstructed view from very close by buildings with the added problem of the hotel's ac units and their accompanying noise just outside your window.
Best views are upper floors on west side of the building.
Room was comfortable and fairly quiet. However, at 5'11" I found my feet dangling off the end of a king size bed.
Room service was a bit slow but the service was extremely friendly and genuine.
The clam chowder is awesome!

Room Tip: A/C unit noise on 3rd floor. Higher floors on west side of the building for the best views of downt...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank secled
CPHBGMGR, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Harrisburg-Hershey, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2012

Thank you for your detailed feedback! We appreciate that you recognize the staff, they so enjoy knowing they make a difference. I apologize for the delay in your in-room dining experience. And, you are right, the clam chowder is fantastic! The Chef's Mushroom Barley Soup is even more remarkable!

Safe Travels!

Stephanie Foose,

Reviewed April 15, 2012

My husband and I along with a couple of friends recently stayed at this Crowne Plaza. It is a bit old and could use some upgrading but we thought for the money we paid through priceline, it was okay. Firstly we have a huge truck which does not fit in their deck but the valet attendant on the first night was very helpful in saying he would park it in a spot that was not in the deck as he said he would not fit. Okay with us, no problem. Valet is $18 a night. We get to our rooms and they were okay, need upgrading as I stated before, the rooms looked a little old. They were however in badly need of dusting. We could not believe how much dust was on top of the entertainment center. We went to bed and got up the next day to order room service. The food was okay for some but not for all. some of it was a little cold but I will say that they accomodated us for the cold food. Later in the morning, housekeeping was called for a few extra towels. We were told they had a shortage on towels and were unable to accomodate us on this request. Really? Do we really have to wait until you all wash all of the towels in the hotel before we can get more clean ones? Yuk! Upon leaving the room I asked the housekeeper if she could remove all of the dust that was in the room especially the entertainment center. She nicely told me and I quote" me no speak english". Wow.............so I went to the front desk and asked them if they could tell the housekeeping supervisor about all of the dust in the room. She smiled and said ok as if she knew this housekeeper could speak and comprehend english. It is so much I could say about the rest of the stay but it would take too long. I will just say the customer service level with valet is -1. They are awful!! We had a problem with the attendant who got in my husband's face about moving his truck that did not fit in their garage.............needless to say we had to call the supervisor as the valet company is not a part of the hotel but contracted out. It was a waste of time to call. When we came back we were told by security that the valet attendant said he was not going to park our vehicle. What nerve..............where is the customer service for $18 a night? We then got to the room to find all of the original dust that was there at check in. LOL DON'T STAY HERE, A HILTON IS DOWN THE STREET ABOUT 1/2 BLOCK. Stayed there a couple of years ago and it was beautiful and the staff was pleasant. My room was clean too!

Room Tip: located in the heart of downtown
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank LaGreta a

Thank you for your feedback. I am terribly sorry about your experience with us. Please contact me directly to discuss the challenges you witnessed. I can be reached at 717-234-5021. Our goal is always to improve and ensure every guest is happy.

Much appreciated,

Stephanie Foose

Reviewed April 5, 2012

We stayed for the weekend & had a great time! The room was very clean & well kept however the bed was oddly too short! I am only 5'4 and my feet hung off the bed which is really weird! My husband had to put his head literally up to the headboard so he wouldn't be hanging off the bed too much. The hotel is in the heart of everything & pretty much everything to see & do in Harrisburg is just minutes from this hotel. The staff is very friendly & so welcoming. We really enjoyed talking to everyone. The valet is not bad (people were complaining about.) $18 for an entire weekend and that was valet/parking garage. We were pleased. The restaurant was very cute & the food was actually very good. No complaints on anything except the size of the bed & maybe the air/heat in the room. It was really hot & was hard to keep the room cool but we stayed during a rain filled weekend, so who knows.
Ask for a bigger bed & you will be fine! Hotel is very pretty outside & in the lobby, great for pictures! Nearby, is every bar, pub, restaurant you can dream of. The area is very pretty & so cool to walk around. We stayed w/o kids this trip & Harrisburg is a wonderful place w/o the kids to visit. Very clean, cute city! Will def come back!

Room Tip: Ask for a bigger bed & you will do fine!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Thanks for your feedback and fun details that are sure to help any traveler when they review your notes. We're thrilled you had a great weekend!!! We look forward to hosting your visit again soon.

Stephanie Foose

Reviewed March 31, 2012

The hotel is an older property and may need some updates but it's a pleasant place and convenient to the courthouse and other attractions. It's clean, the staff friendly, and comfortable.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed March 15, 2012

I was amazed at how a 3 star hotel, in a 2 star city, could cost $200 a night. This hotel should not cost more than $99 a night on weekdays.

It is old, dirty, and truly from better days. Small smelly rooms.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Harrisburg-Hershey, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2012

bpdatl,

Ben J
IHG Care

Reviewed March 3, 2012

Wanted walking distance to Whitaker Center for acoustic Hot Tuna show and hotel was good for that. Unbelievable racket in room next door @2 am Friday nite. Called desk security, came up did whatever first with 2 drunk girls on the floor and then the room next door. 10 minutes later same thing, went down got security who was accommodating and came back again, quiet after that but it took about an hour. We asked front desk in the morning if they were aware of the issue of the nite before and they were not, tI think they should have been.Walls are very thin, don,t recommend this hotel for light sleepers. Ice machine on our floor didn't work. We were given the wrong WiFi code at check in, had to call down to rectify. It costs $18 per nite to valet park at hotel, only $10 per nite at the Hilton(which is closer to the Whitaker Center). Valet was really cool and clued us in to fact that you can park on the street free from Friday 5pm to Sunday whenever, so he gets the tip. This hotel is a bit shabby, definitely needs an update. Pool is nice, nobody in the gym and they were both acceptable. Employees were ok, but being awakened at 2am anywhere is tough and I realize it wasn't the hotels fault, but I got the feeling nobody really cared.

Room Tip: Pay a little more and go to the Hilton, you get what you pay for
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Teddy H
IHGCare, Guest Relations Case Manager at Crowne Plaza Harrisburg-Hershey, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2012

Dear Teddy H,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate all feedback.
Im sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We do everything we can to
make each of our guest feel important, Because you are. I sincerely hope that you give us another chance when you come into town. We would love to see you again.

Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed February 28, 2012

Had an overnight stay. We were put in a basement level room that was badly in need of a makeover. Rug was soiled, bathroom was moldy and the room had a musty, moldy odor. Never again! It was almost 2:00 am when we arrived, otherwise I would have asked for a refund and found other accommadations. When I checked out I told them as a Gold Priority Club member I expected better......response........thanks for staying with us!

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!!!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family