“Well maintained, clean, pleasant hotel in central location”

Crowne Plaza Harrisburg-Hershey
Ranked #29 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Bryn Mawr, PA
“Well maintained, clean, pleasant hotel in central location”
Reviewed December 13, 2011

I was very pleasantly surprised with the Crowne Plaza Harrisburg. (It's not near Hershey; I don't know why that's in the name.) The reception area is nice, and the reception staff is extraordinarily welcoming and friendly. The rooms are small but commodious, with great beds and fine linens. The bathroom is small too, but it has a granite counter and nice fixtures. Best of all, there's great reading light next to each bed, and you can actually reach the lamps to turn them on and off without getting out of bed. All in all I am very pleased with this hotel.

Room Tip: The reception staff suggested a room away from the elevators, which was probably a good idea, though...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank patbiswanger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Reviewed December 3, 2011

Yes, that's their mato, a place to meet. It's really not a place to stay. The hotel is dirty. They said that it has been renovated but it might only be the lobby. The carpet is dirty. The bathroom is small and old. We didn't enjoy our stay. We would choose a newer hotel down the road before deciding. I would not recommend this place.

• Stayed December 2011
CPHBGMGR, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Harrisburg-Hershey, responded to this review, December 5, 2011
Thank you for sharing your personal experience. I am sorry that you had an unexpected mishap. I would love to speak with you over the phone to learn more about the challenges you encountered so that we may better train the staff member(s) who were responsible for your room cleanliness. Training is key! As for the bathrooms, we did inherit an "intimate" space....47 years ago people didn't spend as much time in bathrooms as they do now. The Hotel was indeed renovated in 2008, lobby, restaurant, lounge, guest corridors. Last week, we completed all flat screen TV installations. Next month, we begin our brand new bedding upgrades including coverlets, bedskirts and other decorative components. Many guests of Crowne Plaza Hotels ask where they can buy our beds as they are so comfortable; and we've even upgraded the thread count for our sheets. The building might be nearing "50", but the charm of the staff and the continuous upgrades do make it a great place to meet and stay. Please call me at 717-920-1781 so I can learn from your experience and make it better for others. Thanks, Stephanie Foose.
Reviewed November 20, 2011

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza in Harrisburg because the nearby Hilton was full. I was suprised at the $199 rate but was willing to pay that for a good hotel. However, rhe room/furniture/bathroom were out of date and run-down. There was inadequate hot water, many of the channels on the TV were too fuzzy and/or the audio was very poor, and the AC was incredibly noisy. There was no room service menu in the room so I went to the front desk to get one. I was told that there was none in the lobby and that one would be sent to my room. I waited for over an hour and finally gave up and went out to dinner when it got past 8 PM.

On the plus side, the hotel is in a great location and the staff was very friendly. Long story short, however, is that the hotel isn't worth the inflated price.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Connecticut
Reviewed November 10, 2011

The Crowne Plaza chain is a reliable outfit and we were very pleased with their place in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. It’s located just blocks from the state capitol, around the corner from the river and its great bridges and just down the street from so many of the the restaurants the town has to offer.

Harrisburg is a beautiful place to visit, even as bankruptcy threatens the comforts of those who live there. One after another, great churches and historical buildings line all the streets feeding into the huge capitol grounds. It’s a beautiful scene and worth a stroll. The hotel is clean, well-run and very comfortable. Its rates are reasonable and you have the feeling of being in the mioddle of things — notably so in the Civil War anniversary year.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Bluefoot
San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed November 8, 2011

I recently chose Crowne Plaza Harrisburg/Hershey for my host hotel. We had a lot of people traveling into Central PA for our wedding and the Crowne Plaza has a great central location to many attractions in the Harrisburg/Hershey/Camp Hill area. You can walk to restaurants and bars on 2nd Street. I was extremely impressed with how friendly the front desk staff and concierge was and received many complements from my guests on how nicely they were treated. The rooms were clean and updated. After the wedding, the solo bartender at the hotel bar found herself with a full bar and was extremely nice and they accommodated our guests until much later then they normally stay open. Our Sales Manager, Amy, was also extremely friendly, attentive and responsive to work with through the planning process. We also hosted a brunch which worked out well and was executed well by the catering department. I was definitely happy with my choice to have my guests hosted by the Crowne Plaza for the weekend!

Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank KristinR884
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 3, 2011

I brought a group of just over 100 attendees and we had a very positive experience. I came stayed 6 nights felt right at home. Smart, friendly, customer-service oriented staff members in every position. Terrific location. I can't think of when I've had a more positive experience.

I want to especially mention Sales Manager Amy Shadday. Fantastic! I wish I could tote her around from city to city!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank FaffyTheDolphin
Pittsburgh
Reviewed September 28, 2011

I've stayed at this hotel a total of 4 nights this year. I've been very happy with the service the facilities and the food. The rooms are average size and very clean and well appointed. The bathroom while on the small side is more than adequate and kept very clean. My only reccomendation would be flat screen televisions and a larger menu for the restaraunt. Hotel is within walking distace of just about any downtown attraction and very close to numerous restaraunts and lounges. Overall I am very pleased with cleanliness, staff and facilities and would reccomend this hotel to anyone traveling to Harrisburg.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business