“Great find, great food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Parkside American Grill - CLOSED

Parkside American Grill
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Reading, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great find, great food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

We were passing through this area and needed lunch. It had a nice atmosphere outside overlooking the duck pond. We got there right at 11 when it opened and it took a long while to get our food, but we were enjoying being with our friends so we didn't mind. Most of us ordered a burger and everyone said they were very good. I'd stop again if we were ever in the area.

• Visited July 2013

Blue Bell
“Parkside American Grille is not the place if you are in a hurry or on a budget.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

We stopped in for an early dinner on July 5th. As there was no one else there we were offered the choice seat overlooking the duck pond. We declined as the sun was basting this area.
I asked if there was anything draft and was told we are a BYOB, so my partner an I just ordered water.
Menu choices are pretty limited but varied. Sandwich and wrap prices went from $9 to $12, entrees are $13-$25 and sides are $4 and everything a la carte.
I settled on a Grilled Tuna sandwich served with asian ginger slaw and wasabi mayo for $12. It was served with a small amount of homemade potato chips. It came medium rare, as ordered and was well seasoned. It was really very good.
My partner chose the grilled burger with lettuce, tomato and onion for $9. It was served with a pickle slice and a few mixed greens. It was cooked as ordered and was also really good. She opted to get the sweet potato fries for an extra $3, maybe the only menu item worth the cost. They were awesome, but that alone did not make up for the slow service and somewhat nonchalant attitude of our waiter.
Our food took a very long time to come out, maybe because a second couple finally came in. They were also offered the table in the sun but their waitress offered to pull the shade down as it was so hot. We then heard her offer complimentary wine to the couple. My partner snagged our waiter and asked if she could get a glass. He ran off to get her a glass and never thought to ask if I'd like one. We were each served a small piece of bread and dipping oil while waiting for our meal. It had to be small as I observed the waiter eating quite a few while standing at the bar with the other waitresses as they all played with their cell phones.
The food was really good, not exceptional but really good. The chef is talented but that does not make up for the service fail. Hopefully the management can do some staff training. If so, I may consider giving the Parkside Grille a second chance.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank John G
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Tucked away jewel in Harleysville”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

This is the third time I've eaten at Parkside and the first time for dinner. It's a wonderful spot tucked away on a side street in Harleysville and facing a duck pond. Relaxing atmosphere and the wait staff are friendly, professional and prompt. Both lunches and last night's dinner were delicious. Pricing is reasonable (dinner was $32 per person including appetizer and desert) and the portions are not overwhelming but generous. They are also BYOB. I've been trying to reserve for the upstairs deck but very time I've been there it's been cold or raining. Better luck next time.

• Visited June 2013
center harbor
“Great Lunch!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

Found this great place via Yelp as I was trying to find a place to meet my sister and niece while I was in town. The ratings and location led us to Parkside American Grille. We sat outside under the covered patio, waitress was efficient and pleasant. Our choices included, Seafood Tacos which my niece had .......fresh fish and two tacos abundant in size, she loved them. Crab cake sandwich was my sisters decision and it was loaded with lump crab meat. I had the chicken, avocado, bacon wrap and it was yummy. Oh, and the sweet potato fries were awesome as previously written on other reviews. Nice value.......great food. you won't leave hungry.

• Visited May 2013
Lansdale, PA
“On the Decline”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

We had a very disappointing experience tonight as well as the last few times we've had dinner at Parkside. We've patronized this restaurant since it opened, and initially it was decent. Unfortunately, they have gone downhill since that time. Tonight, we experienced a staff of very young (actually, our waiter was 14 yrs old and was unable to legally open our wine- we opened our own), who really didn't seem very interested in anything but getting the waiting quickly done. We were the last to leave on a Saturday night, at 9:10 pm ---not extremely late, and we couldn't help but hear the racket of the young crowd carrying on in the kitchen!! As we left, we heard one of the waitresses telling those in the kitchen to "SHHHHHH"!! The ambiance used to be soothing and a bit romantic with the lighting being dim lit, but lately the high hats on the ceiling are blaring down, and I feel like I'm under a spotlight. When I asked about this, I was told that the waitresses can't see with the dimmed lighting!! Really!! When we came into the restaurant tonight, the patio door was open, and it was soooo cold in there. When I mentioned that to the waiter, instead of offering to close the door, he said he thought it was actually warm in there. Since it was a Saturday night, I would expect that the best of the best would be on duty, but instead there a bunch of young inexperienced people manning the restaurant. Why is it rated as one of the top restaurants in Harleysville???? Well, could it be because there are only a handful of restaurants in Harleysville, and the others are all pizza saloons or bars!!!! Such a shame, because this restaurant could certainly improve it's attendance by making some changes. Their atmosphere is so stark - empty walls with no appeal. Wall decor is cheap - visit HomeGoods and purchase a few inexpednsiv e pieces for the wall to warm up the starkness.! I could go on, but I'm afraid none of it would be positive.

• Visited May 2013