“Good Seafood at fair price”

Bay City Restaurant
Ranked #43 of 132 Restaurants in Hanover
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Have been to Bay City many times ... Lunch,dinner and special occasions. Food is always consistent and good. Prices are reasonable. I have always been treated well even on a very busy evening the server has stopped to see if we needed anything.

1  Thank Mark and Pat J

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Stayed in the Hanover area for almost 7 months. Bay City was the first place I ate and returned there about twice a week for the entire stay. Great food, good value, helpful staff. Seafood to steak, never a bad meal.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

I'd never been to Hanover before, and didn't travel there to find a restaurant. Instead, we were in town to look at (and ultimately buy - thanks Hanover Hyundai!) a used car. After the test drive, we had a couple of hours to kill while a mechanic inspected the car for us, and we asked the used car salesman for recommendations. (Perhaps not the most reliable way to come by a good restaurant, but it worked.) He recommended a deli near his dealership or Bay City.

My wife's not much of a Deli Girl, so we went to Bay City. It was Saturday afternoon, 5 January. As we drove up, we were both apprehensive. From the outside, it looks like a "Red Lobster" restaurant. We nearly searched elsewhere. I'm glad we didn't.

Inside, the restaurant was much nicer than it appeared from the exterior. The hostess asked whether we preferred to sit in the dining room or the "lounge" (a separate dining room for groups is apparently also available). With visions of leisure suits and the '70s in my mind, I decided against the "lounge" and selected the dining room.

The dining room was nicely decorated - nautical theme without being too sparse or too hokey. I wandered into the "lounge" later, and found it was also very nice - bar and tables, nicely laid out, with little or no nautical theme. They really ought to call it the "pub" or something like that. If I return someday, I'd probably sit in this section, at least for lunch.

My wife ordered some sort of a salad with chicken, and a sort of spicy tomato-based soup. She enjoyed both a lot (and she's picky). I ordered the fried calamari appetizer (was average, too much breading for my taste, but how many miles from an ocean are we?) I also ordered a seafood quiche that was the 'quiche of the day.' I expected a warmed-over slice of quiche, like you usually get in a restaurant of this sort. It was much better than I expected. It was clear to me that the quiche had been partially cooked in advance, but what they brought out was portioned into a nice crock, garnished with cheese (and some sauce, I think), and the cooking was finished in this crock. It came out really nicely, and I enjoyed it much more than I expected.

We requested a side order of potato chips (Hanover is a 'Potato Chip Capitol' - many are made here in town). My wife says I'm crazy, but I swear they tasted better (fresher, mostly) than the ones I get at the local grocery.

Anyway, we thought that Bay City was a very pleasant surprise on a day when we were looking for "just something to eat for lunch." It's not the finest seafood restaurant ever, but was much better than I expected. Many thanks.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

We were up in the area on Sunday, January 6th 2013. A friend and I were searching for a good restaurant. Several years ago, we were here, and it was not the best. We decided to go for another chance. Once inside, we were seated pretty quickly in the restaurant. After looking at the menu for 15 minutes, we got our water and lemon. I ordered a crock of french onion soup, and the pasta special with cream sauce. My friend ordered the mushroom caps with crab meat, and a cup of crab soup. My onion soup had a horrible taste to it, and it tasted sweet. The crab soup was virtually tasteless. Due to the fact that we waited 15 minutes for water the waitress offered us two warm rolls, and two packs of crackers. This so far was the best food we got. Next, came the salad, it was nice and fresh, and was the next best thing. Next, the entree, The cream sauce was so bland, and the worst distasteless dish, I have ever tasted. For $17.99, it was a big plate, but not at all worth the money in taste. The third best thing was, the waitress did come over and offer a free dessert for waiting so long for water. The manager never came to the table to check with us to see how the food was. In my opinion, there are many other choices to choose from.

1  Thank Brian F
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We had not been to Bay City in years when a friend suggested we met there for dinner.
I had a blackened prime rib and my wife had a petite filet mignon. Both were tender and prepared as ordered. Excellent service but a bit pricey.

Been to Bay City Restaurant? Share your experiences!