“Good food needs to be served in a clean place”

Dutch Country Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 130 Restaurants in Hanover
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
New Oxford, Pennsylvania
“Good food needs to be served in a clean place”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We love this place, eat here often, but lately I have to say that the cleanliness has become an issue. Floors are often filthy, more than just from that particular service. Need to be steam cleaned and polished clean at least once a week. Improvements were being made, but have come to a stand still, so the booths are awful, mauve vinyl and old pine wood, The busers often don't clean table tops thoroughly enough and never sweep up floor messes between seatings. Was shocked to see another diner in Hanover, Starlite, got voted best diner in town cause the food there is so average compared to homemade at Dutch, but truth be told, it's a much nicer place to visit, pretty interior, always clean. Come on Dutch, get with the program

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank jayne p

Hanover, Pennsylvania
“A local gem in Hanover!”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

It's funny how you tend to ignore certain places when you live somewhere. My wife and I moved to Hanover a year ago and we never went to the Dutch Country Restaurant until recently. We noticed that it was always busy so was probably good, but never seemed to stop in as there are lots of good places to eat in this town. We finally decided to check it out a few weeks ago and now are hooked. I can see why the place is packed, it is fantastic.

My first meal there was their fried oysters. Wow. I've never had better in my life. They make them from fresh oysters and you can tell. In fact I believe they make everything from scratch in their kitchen. The side dishes of broccoli salad and cole slaw were also very tasty. The second time I ate there I ordered their broasted chicken and talk about heaven on a plate! The best fried chicken I've had in this area by far. Moist inside, crisp on the outside. My wife had a Reuben and gave me a bite. Wow! You'd think you were in NY.

Breakfast here is also an amazing experience. If you like hearty country breakfasts, you are in for a treat. I don't remember the name of the one I ordered but it came with eggs, meat (I ordered scrapple as I'm from Philly), toast, potatoes, and biscuits with chipped cream beef and gravy. I mean, come on! This was incredible. The scrapple is from a local butcher and was delicious. The potatoes were crispy on the outside with onions and had a terrific flavor. I had Rye Toast and let me tell you, this is the best rye bread outside of NYC! (See reference to Reuben above) Fantastic meal and everything here is reasonably priced. Other people were ordering their French Toast which looked amazing.

Now I understand why this place is so packed. It's not fancy but it is some of the best diner food you'll ever enjoy. Come early and come hungry. You won't be disappointed!

• Visited September 2013
Brooklyn Park, MD
“Nice surprise”
Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

My wife & I and in laws were on a road trip and ended up in Hanover,PA. We stumbled on this place and were very glad we decided to give it a try. The waitress (Amber) was very friendly and our food was delicious. Several of us had their special broasted chicken. We were told it would take about 20 minutes and we were fine with that. She brought us our bread selections and cold sides while we waited. The chicken was super tender, juicy and well seasoned. The restaurant it's self looks a bit dated but seemed overall clean. We would return if in the area. Would definitely recommend!

• Visited September 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Highly recommend”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Excellent breakfast menu great food and value. We will definitely be revisiting this place in the near future. Friendly polite staff also.

• Visited August 2013
Hanover, Pennsylvania
“Start your Day Off Right”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

The best extensive breakfast menus in Hanover. Great food and great prices. Service is quick and efficient.

Visited July 2013