“Very disappointed!”
Review of Super 8 Hanover

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Hanover
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Booked based on reviews, but was very disappointed. The lobby and first floor hallways smelled very strongly of smoke. We asked about this and mentioned it numerous times to the front desk and they said that it filtered from the one smoking/handicapped room that was located centrally in the first floor hallway and that there wasn't anything they could do about it. We had to stuff towels under and around our room door at night. Our room was skipped and not cleaned the first day. When we left the room that morning, the 'do not disturb' sign was layed on the bathroom sink by my wife and was not on the door. When we arrived at the hotel that evening, after being gone most of the day, the housekeeper was at the end of the hall working on a room and there was a gentleman who appeared to be a manager/owner also in the hallway. I asked the gentleman why our room was not cleaned and he, in return, asked the housekeeper, who stated she must have 'just skipped' it. These were his words. He offered to clean it right then, but we were tired and just requested new towels. There is also not much noise buffering between rooms and floors, as we were kept awake one night past midnight with overhead noise of children jumping and running. We called the front office and that was handled quickly by Mitch (I think was his name). Upon leaving, we found that we were automatically charged for the safe in the room even though we didn't use it. I phoned the hotel the following day to voice my concerns and after a short conversation, the front office person disconnected me. I then called the headquarters and filed a complaint and they told me that the hotel had five days to respond. Seven days later, with no response, I called headquarters again and they looked up the hotel and stated that they had taken the safe charge off of our bill, they said the 'Do Not Disturb' sign was on our door and that is why is didn't clean the room. That is not true! The smoke issue was just glazed over as before. Noise level was not addressed. We were offered a 25% discount on our next stay, but there won't be one!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I booked my room in advance, it would have been nice to have had the heat turned on to at least 60. The room was 54. I understand saving electricity, but not at the expense of customer service.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Super 8
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We booked a room for our anniversary trip based on reviews on tripadvisor and requested a non-smoking room. The room was nice, but as soon as you entered the lobby from outside, there was an overwhelming smell of cigarette smoke and it carried throughout the hallway to our room and got stronger. When we asked about where it was coming from, the desk clerk informed us that the handicapped room was a smoking room and it was three doors away from us, and in the summer they left the outside doors open to filter it out. I was just recovering from surgery and it was very irritating too me. At night, I had to stuff towels around and underneath the door to lesson the smell. Also, there was excessive overhead noise from the second floor. Our room didn't get cleaned the first day and we had to ask for new towels. We will not stay here again despite the affordability.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 23, 2013

My friend and I arrived in Hanover later at night after a long drive from North Carolina, and we were greeted by a wonderful hotel clerk, Mitchell Kaehler, who was the most helpful Hanover hotel employee I have ever come across (I travel to the area often, and have stayed in many of the local hotels.) No matter what question I had, at anytime during the night, he was courteous and always available to assist me. Hanover does not have any 5-star hotels, but I feel like I certainly received 5-star service at a very resonable price. I felt secure and comfortable (which I've found could be a problem at other near-by Hanover motels) and really enjoyed the experience here, mainly due to the excellent service. It is a relief that I do not have to search for a new place to stay on my next trip to Hanover. At a great price, with a comfortable room, and wonderful service, I will most definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Recently renovated. I have stayed her over 50 nights while relocating for work. At half the price of the other hotel chains in town this place is a steal. Rooms are clean, shower powerfull and furnishings are good. Staff is very helpful and great to be around. Take a chance, you will enjoy.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank George S
Super8HanoverMgmt, Manager at Super 8 Hanover, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Dear George S,
Thank you so much for your excellent review of our Super 8 in Hanover, PA. Especially since you have stayed at our property so often, we are so glad to know that you enjoyed your experiences with us and that all aspects of your stay was consistent. Thank you for mentioning our cleanliness and furnishings. The water pressure in our showers are powerful because we know that our guests prefer the extra force and we feel good knowing that you enjoyed it as well. We wish you the best of luck in your job relocation, please come see us again soon. Safe travels!

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed February 6, 2013

We were in the area with two other couples for a few days to visit Gettysburg and didn't want to pay the high motel costs to stay right in Gettysburg, so chose this Super 8. It was a great price, clean, adequate breakfast, and only took us 20 minutes to get back and forth to Gettysburg. I would choose this place again if I was in the area.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank goldwingtravelers

Dear Goldwingtravelers,
Thank you so much for your review of our Super 8 in Hanover, PA. We noticed that you are a Senior Contributor on TripAdvisor and travel often so we were very happy to read your positive review for our property. It is true that the rates of hotels within Gettysburg could be more than 50 percent more than our rates so it is smart to stay with us and make the short drive to Gettysburg. We appreciate your positive comments regarding our rates, cleanliness, and continental breakfast. Please do come and stay with us again if you are in the area, we look forward to welcoming you, take care.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed January 29, 2013

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hanover
Hampton Inn Hanover
Wyndham Gettysburg
Wyndham Gettysburg
#7 of 28 in Gettysburg
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Gettysburg

Been to Super 8 Hanover? Share your experiences!