“Good, not great...”

Cuisines: American
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
“Good, not great...”
Reviewed July 22, 2010

Nice rustic outdoor dining area with great aromas from the charcoal pits... We had the chicken and ribs combo which were done up nicely and tasted fine. The BBQ sauce was a bit thin and somewhat bland for my taste. Some might argue that a thicker, bold sauce would overpower the meat . Perhaps if they offered a choice of sauces it would satisfy a wider range of tastes.

2 Thank vitz99

Marco Island, FL
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Kundlas Is an Awesome Place!!!!”
Reviewed May 5, 2010

I have to admit Kundlas is one of the best places to get BBQ. I have been going there since I was a small child and I even worked there in My teen years. Kundlas not only has the BBQ pit, but a Meat Store as well. Now living here in Florida I crave their BBQ and at times have them ship it to me. When I go up there in the winter I always make a trip to the meat store and get some of their pre-frozen Chicken and ribs and also their sauce. Not the same as right off the grill, but it sure does the trick!!! YUMMY!!! My mouth is watering right now!!!!

Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
“a little trip of bbq heaven”
Reviewed May 4, 2010

The ribs and chicken are great. But so are the porkchops. The sides are a perfect compliment and just love those pickles. Stay away on Fathers Day and the 4th of july as the wait is extremely long. Other nights they have a tendency to get backed-up at cash register. But then again so many people can"t be wrong.

Definitely worth the trip if you are in the area. No advertising as the locals don't want this secret out.

2 Thank drf00d
Wilkes Barre, PA
“Best BBQ in NEPA”
Reviewed August 7, 2009

This is by far the best BBQ in Northeastern PA. Forget the chain places like Smokey Bones or Chilis, this is Real BBQ!

1 Thank naes321
Fort Lauderdale, FL
“The best Barbeque north of the Mason Dixon Line!”
Reviewed January 5, 2009

Each time we travel through Northeastern Pennsylvania, we make sure to fill up at Kundla's Barbeque in Hamlin. We can smell the slow cooking chicken and ribs from beyond the parking lot, and anticipate the savory home made sauce as we stand in the line to place our orders. The corn is brought fresh from the farm each week, and the ribs and pork is trucked directly from the midwestern farms - never frozen. The barbeque sauce is made from a secret recipe known only to Josephine Kundla, the owner. She mixes it herself in a locked room and bottles both the starter sauce and the finishing sauce, which can be purchased at the restaurant. In addition to the chicken and ribs and beans and corn and rolls, you can try a porketta sandwich, which is a great thing to take on the road with you. I have met people in Nashville, Atlanta, and Florida who are familiar with Kundla's and go out of their way to partake of the wonders. It's less than 2 hours from New York or Philadelphia, and if you are on a day trip to the Poconos, Kundla's is the best place for an informal, reasonable, and delicious meal.