“Nice restaurant”

The American House Hotel
Hamburg, Pennsylvania
“Nice restaurant”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

The salads are fantastic and Brie delicious. The entrees are good but have way too much sauce on them which spoil the actual entree. He should reduce or eliminate his sauces and the food would be great. A lovely historical hotel and decor. Also a bit pricey for the quality.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank ann S

Pennsylvania
“Great Food & Community Support”
Reviewed October 16, 2011

Every visit has been wonderful. High end food and service. To their immense credit, they have always supported local service organizations.

1 Thank Malakos
Marlton, New Jersey
“Food was awesome! Owner very accomodating!”
Reviewed January 14, 2011

We stayed at the American House Hotel for two nights in December to hike Hawk Mountain. The restaurant was actually closed while we were there because it was Sunday & Monday. We talked to the owner and he was very accomodating. He cooked dinner for just the two of us on the second night we were there. The atmosphere is BEAUTIFUL. I would never think I wouls find such a nice place in such a small town. We had the filet mignon and crab cakes. They were both awesome! Obviously the service was great too.

• Visited December 2010
2 Thank LoveTravel013
Philadelphia, PA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beautiful Space, Mediocre Food at Gourmet Prices”
Reviewed October 13, 2009

My husband and I planned a Saturday night getaway at the American House. We reserved a room at the hotel and had dinner reservations for 8pm. Our hotel room was beautiful, we booked a King Suite. When we checked into the hotel, the staff ignored us until the owner appeared from the kitchen to check us in. He said he usually shows guests to their room but he was "on the line" and couldn't. Oh well, not much to see in the room. Beautifully decorated, but no phone, no fridge and the cable tv kept going in and out. When I asked for some glasses and an ice bucket for our room, it was quickly retrieved from the bar by a waitress.

My husband and I arrived downstair for our 8pm dinner. We were seated promptly but were ignored by the 2 waitresses in the room for about 10 minutes. There we 3 tables total in the restaurant. For an appetizer, we ordered the bacon wrapped shrimp. We got 3 large shrimp for 12 dollars. The shrimp were tasteless and the dipping sauce was gross. For dinner, my husband ordered the ribeye steak with crab meat. The entire meals was so over salted, he couldn't even eat the crabmeat. I believe that plate was $28. My meal was a chicken breast stuffed with boursin, crabmeat and asparagus over mushroom risotto. I think that plate was $24. The chicken breast was tiny and tasted only of boursin. The "risotto" was so stiff that a collar was used to plate it! My plate was overloaded with chopped up onions, tomatoes, peppers and spinach, to the point that I had to dig for my small serving of "risotto".

After our disappointing appetizer and dinner, we skipped the dessert. The service was very slow and unprofessional.

Our bill was $100 include tip. My husband had 2 drinks. I find this to be very expensive for poorly executed food and service.

The worst part of our whole stay was that we were double charge for our hotel room. When I called the owner to complain, he was very rude and arrogant on the phone. He keep telling me that he had no proof of a double charge and that it would take days for an answer. Only after I called my bank, did I find out that the owner pre-authorized my card twice when we checked into the hotel room. I still have not received all my money back.

I doubt I will ever return to the American House. I feel like I was taken for a ride.

1 Thank obx_nancy
Deer Lake, PA
“Very good food. OK service.”
Reviewed February 3, 2008

For a small town like Hamburg, this really is a top of the line restaurant. That said, I certainly wouldn't call it the best restaurant in Pennsylvania, nor a place that I would recommend someone drive regardless of distance.

My wife and I had the occasion to try the American House recently, based on a recommendation from a neighbor. We live within a 10-mile radius of Hamburg, so getting to the restaurant was no inconvenience.

Weekend parking can be difficult, as the Strand Theatre is across the street, and parking spaces on N 4th Street are difficult to come by. I dropped my wife off and parked a couple of blocks away. No big deal.

We started with appetizers, the bacon horseradish shrimp, and the scallops (which are new on the menu). Both very very good. The ancho chili/orange marmalade on the shrimp was a recipe that I'd love to have at home. The two inch thick scallops were cooked to perfection, no easy task.

The presentation of the mixed green salads was interesting, both in a thin won-ton like shell. The salads and the dressing themselves were somewhat pedestrian.

For the main course, steak. The Ribeye Steak Jameson with Crab is served on a potato cake and breaded zucchini and topped with jumbo lump crab. I give it nine out of ten.

The 14 oz. T-Bone was predominantly top loin with a portion of tenderloin so small that it was only the bone that made this cut a T-Bone. It was served with potatos and topped mushrooms, tomatos and onions - just enough to add to the flavor without smothering the meat. An eight of ten on the T-Bone.

Dessert - a generous portion of Italian cheesecake (large enough for two to split) and the tiramisu. The tiramisu was very rich and cheesy, but without a hint of rum or coffee flavors. It was presented as a pyramid drizzled with white chocolate. The dessert tasted very good, but it was not traditional tiramisu. The cheesecake was just short of outstanding, topped with fresh berries. Mmm mmm.

In addition to the food, it's really the overall atmosphere that makes a place a must-recommend for me. The ambience in the dining room is old-style Victorian. The owners did a remarkable job with their renovations on this centuries-old building.

The only real negative to our experience was that the children/
grandchildren of the owner or hostess (maybe 9 years old?) were at the restaurant, and they spent most of their time playing/coloring behind the hostess desk. However, on two different occasions, they came out into the dining room looking for the hostess. This detracted somewhat from our adult evening.

Additionally, while the servers were attentive, they lacked the professionalism that a true first-class restaurant requires. I understand that you won't typically find this sort of service staff in Hamburg, PA, but finding someone of that caliber might be enough to propel this restaurant into "must-go" status.

The owner did make the rounds and introduced himself, asking if we were first-timers. We were, and as we told him, we will certainly return to the American House. We will even recommend it to our neighbors. But it has a way to go to be considered among the best in the state - (although that said, it is one of the best in the Reading/
Pottsville/Lehigh Valley triangle).