“Great place to stop on I81”

Dobb's Country Kitchen
Ranked #2 of 16 Restaurants in Hallstead
Cuisines: Diner
Reviewed July 11, 2013

My wife and I were on our way home from a hectic 3 days in Atlantic City, NJ. We had eaten nothing but Boardwalk and casino food for the entire time. We had driven almost to Binghamton, NY when my wife said lets get a bite to eat and then drive the rest of the way. I pulled off at the next exit which just happened to be Hallstead, PA. The first thing to catch my eye was a sign for Dobbs Country Kitchen. It is not terribly impressive looking from outside, but the parking lot was full except for one space with a huge hole in it which I managed to straddle with our little Fiesta.
Inside was quite roomy and there were several families and individuals already seated. We were met immediately by a friendly young lady that led us to our table and asked what we would like to drink. We both ordered water which arrived at once each with a fresh lemon slice.
We needed a few minutes to peruse the menu which was quite large. While waiting for our waitress to return I watched food orders being served to others. Everything I saw seemed to be huge portions. The guy next to us made a comment about the huge mound of mashed potatoes and gravy he had. He left with a lot of leftovers and said how creamy they were and how great the gravy and chicken had been.
Our orders came very fast, only 10 minutes or so which is commendable. My wife had a huge chicken salad. She said it was delicious and had lots of crispy chicken pieces. I ordered the Jumbo burger. Trust me when I tell you that this thing is truly jumbo. It was cooked exactly the way I requested it which is raw in the middle and seared on both sides just enough to make the blood flow. I told the waitress that I had read the health risks and if it could not be fixed my way I would order something else. It was perfect! It came with fresh lettuce, tomato, pickles, and a large thick slice of sweet onion. It was easy 3/4th of a pound. It came with a pile of crispy on the outside soft on the inside fries. They are a must if you have a burger there. A generous order of cole slaw rounded out the meal. The slaw was creamy and a bit on the sweet side. I prefer a bit more tang and some horseradish, but gobbled it up anyway.
When we finished our waitress asked us if we wanted dessert. We both declined even though the pies we saw were deep dish and sliced very large.
We left Dobbs very satisfied and sure to remember where it is for our next trip that way. I suggest you drop in if your trip puts you in that neighborhood. Ask for Julie S. She is exceptional and likes to talk with travelers. You will not be dissappointed.

1  Thank avatheps

Reviewed May 5, 2013

When I say "long history" I'm talking about 20 years that I've been stopping there. I'm sure it's older than that. The food is good, the waitstaff accommodating and it's generally a comfortable place to visit and fill your stomach. Decor is not their forte. Looks like it was last updated in the 60s. However, it's reliable and extremely easy on the pocket. It's also convenient, being just off Interstate 81.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Coming from the Colonial Brick Motel over to Dobb's Country kitchen is a no brainer. Dobb's is a very nice place to eat, with locals and travellers intermixed. The wa staff is very nice, easy to converse with and have ideas on the good and less than popular foods available. A nice break from fast food on the road.

Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

This place has some of the best burgers you will EVER have. I was unsure if I needed the "jumbo" version...turns out I didn't, but I enjoyed every bite. My wife got a cheesesteak (an interesting choice for her) and instead of some steak-m it was what looked like thin sliced ribeye. I managed to grab a bite and it was a tasty as my burger. We went with greasy tonight but my mother had the chicken and biscuits which looked good too. Unfortunately we couldn't manage desert. We will definitely be back!

Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stopped by while passing through. Good service. We all had breakfast food. Very good. Clean. Would stop again if passing through

1  Thank nyfamily1234