“A worthwhile stop”

Dining options: Reservations
Savona, New York
“A worthwhile stop”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I were in the area and looking for a place to have dinner. found th elisting for the Carsonville Hotel and decided to try it. We were unsure about based on the outside appearance but figured we were there already - had the fish fry - more than enough of everything especially the fries. Definitely would go back there

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Kelly P

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“WHAT A HUGE DISAPOINTMENT”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

For over a years I have hear raving reviews about the Carsonville Hotel and their food. My husband and myself decided to take my parents there for dinner. We live in Harrisburg and a frequent visitors of the Glass Lounge so ambience really is not a big deciding factor when picking a restaurant. YUCK!!! I was so embarrassed. I felt horribly cheated after shelling out $125.00 for pig slop. My mother and myself got the seafood platter. The crabcakes were tasteless and the entire platter was overcooked. My husband ordered the biggest steak on the menu @ $27.00 and when they placed it in from of him I thought it was a porkchop. It was so small and thin and cooked "WELL" done not medium like he ordered it. My fathers steak was so tough and thin that he picked it up and put it on my husbands plate because he refused to eat it. My dads fried mushrooms were fried so hard he didn't eat those either. They didn't have 4 things that were listed on the menu!!!! I would never recommend this establishment (because you can't call it a restaurant) to anyone!!!!! This is a bar with alcohol and that's all. I paid the bill and left for my 40 minute trip back to Harrisburg. We were all still hungry so we stopped at an ice cream joint and filled up on ice cream. The owner of this business should close up shop and call it a day.

• Visited August 2013
4 Thank Maria K
camp hill pa
“Great food!”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

The service was slow for second drinks. but friendly and the food was great! Quaint and rustic, casual, country setting and a bikers haven. It is in the middle of nowhere but a great destination for a mountain drive!

• Visited June 2013
3 Thank LisaH52
Harrisburg, PA
“Great for those whom they cater to.”
Reviewed January 15, 2012

As a chef in training over 37 years ago I was taught to cater to your customers. If you have a "Truck Stop" you of course have different customers than a "Five Diamond" restaurant.

The Carsonville Hotel is over two hundred years in the making. Plain "down home food" with friendly, unpretentious "salt-of-the-earth" people. If you live locally, this is your five star restaurant or you drive 10 miles over the mountain to a pizza shop or Subway {subs} in E-ville. If not its 45 minutes to Harrisburg. For those "out of town" its an interesting experience, but I don't see my wife & I returning because its not our kind of place.

Respectfully, we are not "Truck Stop or "Five Diamond" people but more "middle of the road" when it comes to dining. LAST WORDS: If you order fries, go small, even then it will be enough for five people. They are not fresh cut, but they are tasty.

• Visited January 2012
6 Thank Roger033
Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania
“Best Crabcakes Anywhere!”
Reviewed November 27, 2011

We drive about an hour and a half to Carsonville several times a year just to have their Crabcakes. You can get them broiled or fried but broiled is the way to go. They are not cheap - but - we have traveled all over the Chesapeake Bay and eastern shore and have not found any to equal the ones at the Carsonville Hotel. They are the real deal, all Blue Crab backfin meat and very fresh.
Their other food choices are excellent, their sides are tasty, and of course they are famous for their huge plates of french fries.
The atmosphere is old school, the staff are friendly and fun, and the owner treats you like you are very close friends. It is well worth the drive!

• Visited November 2011