“Gravely Disappointed”

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed October 14, 2018

This is the first negative review I've ever written. My husband and I were both disappointed last night at my birthday dinner. The Inn is gorgeous with a stunning history. The staff were all terrific. The food: not so much. We started with the bruschetta as an appetizer which was served with white toast squares (not ciabatta) with separate glasses of each of the toppings that we had to put together. We order this appetizer in the many diverse places we dine and this, by far, was the worst. My husband's meal (tangerine salmon) was good, nothing special but tasty for sure. I ordered the Chilean sea bass (it's described as, "crusted with a pine nut and basil pesto and nestled on a bed of honey caramelized leeks; served with a savory lobster fumet"), which was awful. (I love all fish so this is huge.) The small piece for $40 -- I did not order the small plate -- was completely drowned out by the fumet where I could not taste any other flavors. There was nothing crusted as it was drowning in a flavor that I did not favor. By far, the worst Chilean sea bass I've ever had, including mine! The green beans (usually a favorite) and mashed were so average that we only had a few bites. As I mentioned at the top, I have never written a negative review before - only positives - as we are so easy to please and just don't return to an establishment if we are not satisfied. But, since I had such high hopes anticipating this special evening and was so disappointed, I felt compelled to break my positive streak. Again, the Inn itself is stunning and all of the staff were terrific. Perhaps it was an off night as I have had delicious meals here in the past albeit not for many years. Sigh.

Date of visit: October 2018
1  Thank Rufein

Reviewed September 28, 2018

Crab cakes were too heavily coated, could not taste the crab. I did not like four small cakes in place of one cake.

Reviewed September 16, 2018 via mobile

My wife and I ate in the commonwealth club, it's more intimate then the Monet room. I had the prime rib(an end cut) it was done exactly like I ordered. They serve it with a beranise sauce for dipping, it compliments the meat perfectly. My had the surf and turf, the lobster tail was large and cooked just right. The filet was tender and juicy. We had a chocolate dessert that was delicious. We also took a piece of the inn cheesecake home for later. They have the best cheesecake. The staff is very accommodating, at your every beck and call. If you like fine dinning I recommend the Wm penn inn.

Date of visit: August 2018
GDowling, Manager at William Penn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2018

How lovely that you were able to join us for an intimate dinner. The Commonwealth Club is indeed a very beautiful area. Thank you for your review of your dining experience - I will be sure to pass on your comments to our culinary and service teams!

Reviewed September 16, 2018 via mobile

Really a most wonderful place. Over the years we have had many family dinners and birthdays here but we are no longer close by and had not been here in awhile. We had a lovely Sunday dinner. From the kind hostess at the front podium to our terrific waitress to the delicious prime rib, seafood platter and crab imperial (all delivered piping hot) all 4 of us were quite happy - and too full for dessert! And yes the restrooms were immaculate.

Date of visit: September 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It is indeed a pleasure to serve old friends! I will be sure to pass on your comments to our team - including the housekeeping department!

Reviewed September 16, 2018

We met a couple at the Inn that we hadn't seen in over 20 years, and read the reviews with tepid feelings. I was very pleasantly surprised by the food quality, the service and attention and the overall atmosphere. The Inn has always catered to mature clientele, even when I was in my 20's, and that hasn't changed, but I would certainly not hesitate to go back. I had the filet and it was butter knife tender, and the seafood dishes that the others had were delightful as well.

Date of visit: September 2018
Gretchen1960, Manager at William Penn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2018

Thank you so much for your review - I'm happy that we have regained you as a guest!

Been to William Penn Inn? Share your experiences!