“Not the Same”

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed August 26, 2018

We used to go to the William Penn inn in the 90's at least once a month for the buffet,the last time we went i was shocked at the prices and the quality of food and service,it was crowded and it seemed like they were trying to get us in and out...disapointed.

Date of visit: April 2018

Reviewed August 7, 2018

Birthdays seem to come around so quickly - but a postcard from the Wm. Penn Inn reminding you of your Frequent Diner card's free dessert for the birthday person will take some of the sting out of another year tallied. The beautiful old inn, exuding elegance from the moment you walk up its front steps, doesn't disappoint. We were warmly greeted, presented ourselves to the Maitre d’ of the stylishly appointed Monet Room & escorted to our table. Our waiter, Christian, with his ready smile & knowledge of the menu, had the perfect approach for customer service. He promptly provided gratis crudités & a basket of assorted breads (yeast & quick). It was my husband's celebration & he selected his perennial favorites: Chilled Colossal Crabmeat Cocktail served in a large cocktail glass atop ice w/ a zesty cocktail sauce for starters, a Wedge Lettuce Salad topped with applewood-smoked bacon & blue cheese crumbles & for his entrée Tangerine Grilled Salmon; he declared all were perfection. I opted for Clams Casino topped w/ diced pepper & bacon, Spinach Salad w/ hot bacon dressing applied tableside and Veal Napoleon (veal layered w/ sautéed spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes, mozzarella cheese finished w/ a beurre blanc-infused demi-glace) - delicious. As live harp music played in the background, we enjoyed two wonderful desserts - Strawberry Shortcake w/ ice cream for him & a decadently delicious layered white & dark chocolate mousse wedge for me. We highly recommend you pay this wonderful old establishment a visit.

1  Thank OldBridges
GDowling, Manager at William Penn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2018

Thank you for your most informative, complimentary review - much appreciated and a happy birthday to you!

Reviewed August 6, 2018

I had the pleasure of dining at the William Penn Inn recently. Two of my friends were in the area on business, and I selected the Inn for dinner, even though it is about 1 1/2 hours travel time from my house in New Jersey. What a good choice!!

The physical layout of the Inn is accurately (though a bit understated) described on their website. We had an early (5:30) reservation, and we were immediately seated in the upstairs dining room-which is elegant and formal, and their website description is definitely understated. At 5:30 the room was pretty empty, but filled rapidly-reservations definitely in order, especially for later dining times.

Our server, Joshua, tuxedo clad, provided 5 star service, as befitting the elegance of the dining area. Service was prompt, but being the astute server that he was, backed off and gave us old friends ample time to talk…….but he was there at a moments notice when needed. Excellent service, quick, but not obtrusive. The table was cleared of plates and silverware between each course. Definitely 5 star service.

We all had the “prime rib” dinner, which was included on the “early bird” prix fixe menu for the ridiculously low price of $39. This was the finest piece of prime rib I have ever had in a restaurant! To digress-in other restaurants, for some reason the chefs feel obligated to make a “signature” on their prime rib roast. This usually means slathering this magnificent cut of meat with a melange of grossly excess garlic, olive oil, enough thyme to deplete the best English garden, and even rosemary at times. The result is a barely edible piece of beef where the delicate magnificence of the meat is completely overwhelmed by the totally unnecessary accoutrements. This was NOT the case at the William Penn Inn!

The prime rib we had was the “petite” cut (14-16oz.), which in fact was a very generous 16+ ounces, 1” thick, cooked (rare) to absolute perfection. The seasoning was exact, the spices perfect to enhance the meat, rather than overwhelm it. Even the “cap”, the most delectable part of the prime rib was excellent—and not the inedible blob in other establishments. The meat was fork tender (really!), served on the plate in a bath of au jus, and capped with fried onion sticks. It was really good!

Along with the beef were included two vegetables; we had scalloped potatoes and green beans almandine-the beans also cooked to perfection. We also ordered a side dish of asparagus (perfectly cooked) with hollandaise sauce. Desert was included, as was a selection of soups/appetizers. I had Snapper Soup to start-a forgotten delicacy of the area……excellent!

This was a fantastic meal, and even though the Inn is 1 1/2 hours from my home, I will be back for some more prime rib. My only regret is that I didn’t order off of the “standard” menu, as I would have ordered a larger cut of the beef-it was that good.

Total bill for 3 people with 2 rounds of drinks and 24% gratuity was $210. Not bad!!! Thank you, William Penn Inn!

2  Thank james f

Thank you so much for your wonderful review - we are indeed very proud of the excellent food that our very talented chefs prepare. The next time that you come, please sign up for our frequent dining program (if you did not already) and you can receive promotions and invitations from us tailored to our most frequent diners. Looking forward to your next visit!

Reviewed August 5, 2018

My visit started off on the bad side, the drinks took almost half an hour to get and one of my guest beer was warm and had to add ice and then the salad had a hair in it from someone in the kitchen which they replaced with a new one. We saw the meals come out but where not served for ten minutes later and for all of this they did even to take off the salad from the bill. It will be a long time before I return.

Date of visit: August 2018
1  Thank churchvillepa

If you would be so kind as to give us a call, I would be interested in speaking with you regarding your experience here at the Inn. I am equally disappointed in your in the service that you received.

Reviewed August 5, 2018

The William Penn Inn comes up with very clever ways to keep you coming back. Assuming you have signed up with their free loyalty program, you get a card in the mail for your birthday. If you come in during your birthday month, the second entree ordered is half off. They also add one free dessert.

When your anniversary rolls around, you gat another card. Let them know when you are making the reservation and a half dozen roses in a vase are waiting at your table.

We went for my wife's birthday. We each did the $35 three course dinner. She started with onion soup, followed by crab imperial. I went for a Caesar salad and the prime rib. Everything was good. It's comfort food.

We started with cocktails. They get about $7-8.00 for a drink, which is pretty inexpensive for a fancy restaurant.

They had mango sorbet on the dessert list. This is one of the best dishes they do! They make it on premises. We each ordered that, choosing to bring our one free dessert home. The portion on sorbet they give you is enormous.

Are there drawbacks? Very few. You need reservations. Although it's large, it's also popular. I tend to find I usually can't get the time I want. On my last reservation, it was a choice between 15 minutes earlier or an hour later. That's not that big a deal.

We plan on returning soon.

Date of visit: July 2018

Been to William Penn Inn? Share your experiences!