“Another very good birthday meal with friends”
Review of William Penn Inn

William Penn Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Gwynedd
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed September 17, 2013

William Penn Inn sends out birthday discount certificates and we took advantage of one last evening with friends. We all enjoyed our food very much. Our only suggestion for improvement would be the bread. The sweet bread and relish tray, while somewhat dated, was very good, but the regular dinner rolls were not very good. We ate in the Commonwealth Club which is delightful and our service person Chris was excellent. We continue to enjoy the WPI and will continue to return even without a discount.

GDowling, General Manager at William Penn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Happy Birthday! I'm so glad that you were able to take advantage of our Frequent Dining Birthday Invitation. Thank you for your comments about our dinner rolls, I'll be sure to pass them onto our Executive Chef. As for Chris, he is a wonderful server and I know that he will appreciate hearing that you feel the same way. I look forward to your next visit.

There are newer reviews for William Penn Inn

Reviewed September 16, 2013

the food here at lunch was superb. crab imperial that was very good, vegetables cooked neither too soft nor too hard as very few restaurants are able to do, delicious desserts and wonderful service. it is not casual dress as you might expect; a jacket not needed for lunch though I think it might be for dinner. Clearly no shorts and jeans anytime. well worth the trip to get here if you are from another area.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

I heard so much about this place and I know people who go there for their special occasions. I don't remember why we went there, but I was unimpressed. This was for dinner btw. I hear raves on the brunch, but really I don't need to eat that much at brunch anyway. Food was just OK. Average and I was kinda disappointed in the selection even. It wasn't bad, but just didn't live up to the hype or the price of admission. The atmosphere is fine, but not worth it to be honest. I have a future date here planned and I can't really get excited about it. I don't see what all the thrill is about.

Special occasions should be about going somewhere you like and enjoy, not about how much you can spend for something average. That's just me.

1  Thank Wisertime
Reviewed September 5, 2013

On a recent very special occasion dinner, the William Penn Inn turned it into an ordinary dinner. It was a big anniversary and I had been sure to inform the hosstess and maitre 'd....twice! But we didn't get any special attention. Not an offer of a cocktail, dessert, or just a candle. The waiter messed up our order to boot. Didn't ofer a refill of coffee. Just didn't care. Small portion sizes and mediocre food. Not what we wanted for a special occasion and not after 39 years of patronage. William Penn Inn has turned into a mass production food hall. It pains me to say it because up until now it had been one of our favorite restaurants...and it takes us an hour to get there. Our loyalty was not rewarded. I guess all good things come to an end.

3  Thank TastyBake
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We have been coming here for many years. The atmosphere is really beautiful, especially in the Monet dining room, and the food is really great.
This is our first choice or special occasions,,...I highly recommend reservations.
The seafood buffet is a great event which I believe is Thursday nights. Enjoy!