“Great Pub Fare”

Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I really enjoy this place. The fish and chips are fantastic. One of the issues I've had far too often with this dish is the tendency for it to be a very heavy oily mess. Not so here. It is made to prefection. Light, and not oily at all. There are a couple of dishes that need some improvement though; shepards pie for one. I don't like the gravy, and truthfull it should not have it at all. That is the reason for having HP sauce on the table. If you are out at the outlets, make this a sure stop for lunch.

1  Thank YYC_wayfarer

Reviewed April 13, 2013

We had been driving all day and the desk staff at our hotel recommended this restaurant. They have a very good English pub menu. What a good experience ! To start, I had a wonderful bowl of onion soup that I don't know how you could improve on. Absolutely delicious. We both had fish & chips. The fish was a large portion of cod in a thin crispy batter. Again,very good. We shared a bread pudding for desert. Friendly attentive waitress. I will certainly return to the Elephant & Castle and heartily recommend it.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

When passing through Mercer, this pub is probably the best place to have dinner. Good service, attractive decor and OK food. Not great, but good for rural Pennsylvania.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

The food was overpriced for what you got, and left us feeling disappointed. The food was either over seasoned or bland, and the service was poor. I never did have my drink refilled after asking, and the food took a while which having hungry kids with you makes for a nerve wracking dinning experience. Will not return.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

We have eaten at the Elephant & Castle for a number of years and have been pleased. This time we weren't overly thrilled. There wasn't anything that was really bad but there wasn't anything that was really good either. Our appetizer pretzels were late and actually still frozen in the middle of a couple of them. The food was ok - nothing great - it seems to have changed since the last time we were there about 4 years ago. My daughter and I each got a different burger but it just ok. My oldest daughter got a chicken wrap type sandwich and the chicken was so dry that she ended up just eating the veggies out of the wrap. We aren't sure what the fish was that my youngest got but it didn't even taste good to me. They were extremely busy as they always are but it just seemed to us that the food quality had gone down since our last visit there. On a positive note, our sever was awesome! She was friendly, funny, and very efficient. We met some people at the next table who were from just a few miles away from our town (small world) and we did enjoy the atmosphere of the restaurant. The cheese cake was amazing! We took two pieces to go and enjoyed them later in our hotel room. We are debating about whether to give it a try again when we return in the summer. I am happy that our hotel gave us a 15% discount because that helped a little with our disappointment with the food. A fun place but just not too happy with the food.

1  Thank CityGirl63