“Never Disappoints”
Review of Shakedown BBQ

Shakedown BBQ
Ranked #2 of 15 Restaurants in Grantville
Cuisines: Barbecue
Description: Real. Applewood Smoked. BBQ. Follow the Smoke...
Description: Real. Applewood Smoked. BBQ. Follow the Smoke...
Reviewed May 5, 2014

My friends and I go to Shakedown before heading to the casino, and the place just does not disappoint. This time around for the Derby, my friends had the Tres Hombres (Pulled Pork, Sausage, and Brisket) sandwich while I played it safe with the Brisket. Well, I should have went the Hombres way, it was a huge sandwich overflowing with meat and per my friends just delicious. I would recommend Shakedown to anyone and everyone out there. The service was pretty good, but seriously, just go there for the food.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

I have to say that this is the BEST authentic BBQ place in the Harrisburg Area. My wife and I went around 530 -600pm and we were the only ones there. They have 6 or 7 tables that seat 2-4, so it is kind of tiny. The owner told us about the menu and his food and he and his staff were very friendly and I like that. We both ordered the sampler platter. I opted for Pulled Pork, Baby Backs and Brisket, while my wife had Pulled Pork, Baby Backs and Smoked Sausage. We both got the fries and I got their baked beans (because I heard they were great) and my wife got the cole slaw. I got the spicy BBQ sauce on the side while my wife got the mild.
I went straight for the Baby Backs, because they were on top. They were like I make at home, good flavor and fall off the bone good. I then had the Pulled Pork, which I found to be a little watery, and lacking a whole lot of bold flavor. I pushed it aside because I wanted the brisket. I should have just got the ribs. The brisket was dry and crumbly, with a slight beef flavor and while it was rendered correctly, it sat in a holding container for a while and dried out...sad.
My wife loved the Ribs, as I did. With the addition of the mild sauce, the Pulled Pork was palatable. The Smoked Sausage had a good snap, but it wasn't hugely flavorful.
The sides: Baked Beans were o.k., but nothing to write home about, the Cole Slaw was missing some spice or some WOW factor. The Fries would have been better without the “finishing powder” on them. Speaking of “finishing powder”...if they would not have been over generous with this element, I think the food MAY have been better. It was pretty harsh, similar to Season all with hot paprika and cayenne pepper in it.
Now for the “smoke”. I am not sure what kind of wood they use, but the food I got tasted like there was wood ash on them, kind of bitter ashy taste. It was more pronounced on the Pulled Pork, and Brisket, not on the Ribs. I had issues once while I was Smoking in my smoker and an “expert” told me that it was because I stoked my wood and added more making the ash airborne in the smoker landing on the meat.
All in All, it isn't bad, will I go back...SURE. Their friendly hospitality and super service wins my heart. It may have been on off day. BTW, I am a Certified BBQ Judge in the KCBS.

1  Thank Dennis H
Reviewed November 1, 2013

BBQ in Grantville, outside of Hershey... yeah right. No really somebody smack me. This place is really, really good BBQ. I've been to Kansas City, Texas, NC. This place is doin' it right. I had the BBQ Sampler which is brisket (great), ribs (meaty goodness), and pulled pork (great). The meat was tender almost ready to fall apart good. Brisket had a nice smoke ring and pulled apart nicely. The pulled pork with the spicy sauce was better than anything I had in NC. The ribs... MY MY MY... These were the meatiest ribs I've ever seen. Even on TV. They were so tender and smokey. The milder of their two sauces was a nice compliment. I go to Grantville a few times a year and plan on being a regular at this joint.

My friend ordered a full rack of ribs. When he got his plate, he had the most lost look on his face. As to say, "what did I get myself into". I've never seen this size of ribs anywhere, ever. And they were excellent. By the way, I came to the rescue when he couldn't gave me half of his leftovers.

Sides: cole slaw was good and I usually can't stand cole slaw. The baked beans were smokey. One of my friends thought there was the overpowering taste of liquid smoke. I DISAGREE.

Anyway, this was probably the best BBQ I've had in a long time. And it was in Grantville, PA... Who'd a thought

1  Thank MMACM
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We visited on Saturday afternoon around 3 pm. I thought it would be better to go outside of typical dining hours due to the reviews stating busyness and lack of seating. We were seated and served very quickly. It is a small venue, but the food and service is amazing! The portion sizes are large, so your money is well spent! I would definitely go again.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

This place was found on advisor. The food was very good, large portions. The food is a little creasy so be careful not to eat too much or you may know about it, you will feel it.
Excellent service. The place is very small, 4 tables for 4. You need to order at the counter and sit inside if room or outside on patio.
Enjoy