“Stick to the horse races.”

Hollywood Casino at Penn National Race Course
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed September 7, 2010

Minimum bets at table games are too high. Betting limits are too low. This place doesn't even sound like a casino. I was there 6 hours and didn't hear any shouts of joy from a winner. (maybe there wern't any) I was there on a holiday and some gaming tables were empty. You would think they would set up some lower limit tables for those of us who are simply pleasure gambIers. Got the feeling the money was pouring in so they simply do not care about their customers. If you wants to play...you pay!

Even their "zombie" games, where there is no live dealer, requires the same minimum bet as the tables. Maybe thats why these tables were usually empty. Although they did break down and provide a couple of $1.00 Roulette games. (if you can find them)

Restaurants are mediocre (although I didn't try the steak place}.

It's a decent facillity but the layout doesn't make sense. I think it was designed by the bean-counters not the marketing department. I yearned for the noisy days of the dixie cups filled with nickels.

My only solice was reflecting on the fact that some of money going into this cash cow was coming back out as some assistance for Seniors. After all, isn't what they told us would happen?

2  Thank Runamuck
in 20 reviews
in 6 reviews
in 11 reviews

Reviewed September 7, 2010

We go to Hollywood often and being a non smoker this is not non smoker friendly Ugh. Putting that aside we enjoyed the casino and had found the slots quite loose. Not anymore, we have gone twice since the Table games and find the slots very tight. Also on the firsts trip with tables we arrived at 10:30 am on a week day. I headed to the Let it Ride tables. which were not open. I ask a floor attendent and was informed they dont open till 1:00 pm so I played slots to kill time. Returning at 1:00 and found players waiting for it to open. after half hour I went to security and they paged a lady in charge and she informed me they are having problems getting enough staff. On the second trip we arrived later and the tables were open, but no seats open. So I stood and watched. The dealer named Freddy did not have a clue what he was doing. The players had to tell him what the payouts were. After watching for a while I called the supervisor over and voiced my oppinion. His remake was " yeah that dealer dont have a clue" So I went to the main pit boss over at the blackjack area. He walked over with me to the Let it Ride and they removed that dealer and replaced him. I realize Table games are new in Pa. but come on is this anyway to run a casino? After this visit we decided to go to Del. Park or Dover Downs which are all non smoking, and a bit better with tables. and if you get there early they have $5 let it ride. and you get grandfathered in. Come on Hollywood wake up or you will loose your faithful players.

8  Thank Afgrey
Reviewed December 30, 2009

Compared to other casino,s in the state i would have to say it is one of thebetter ones. My husband and i have both won jackpots this year. But have noticed they have tightened up on the slots lately. If they wish to continue getting our buissness most of our friends will not go there anymore. We were there christmas eve put $500 in a five line dollar machine and didn,t even get bars. Thats 500 lines whats the odds. If they continue on that path they will lose all their good players

5  Thank darleneurr
Reviewed December 4, 2009

The Hollywood Casino was my first experience at a "Slots Parlor," or slots only casino. I am a frequent visitor to Atlantic City, and have been to Vegas a few times as well so am well versed with the Casino resort experience (including shopping, dining, clubs, entertainment, etc) I went in not expecting much, but at least to have a fun time, and left highly disappointed.

We went on a Saturday night, and getting there was fairly easy and parking was also easily accessible, however the trouble began as soon as I walked in. We were hit with a wall of smoke! Now, I'd expect to smell some smoking there, but not at the level I experienced. If you're a non-smoker like most of America, beware!

The layout of the actual casino was fairly well setup, although I would've expected to find all the restaurants all in a similar area. The "Grand" Buffet was at the complete opposite side of the casino! Speaking of the Buffet, we are dinner there, and while the food was hot and plentiful, it was definitely not grand. For $20+, I expected a buffet on par with what you might find in A.C. Old Country Buffet was far better though in comparison. Don't waste your time here.

After dinner, we went to the main bar for some drinks and entertainment. Both were extremely lacking as well. Drinks were overpriced and watered down. The servers were also extremely unfriendly... Definitely didn't need to have the attitude, as we were only in Grantville! The live band wasn't bad, but I felt as though I should've been about 20 years older to appreciate it. I kinda felt like that in general while there as well. We were fairly dressed up as if we were going out in A.C./Vegas, though I think we would've fit in better with hunting or farming clothes on!

After that disappointment I thought I'd try my luck at the tables... Oh wait, they don't have them... So instead I resorted to the Slots. My only complaint here was drink service... No free beverage service!!!

So after blowing some money at the slots we thought we'd last try their sports "bar" to watch the game. Upon entering, we were told that we couldn't just drink at the bar (even though it's a sports bar), and had to get table service and order dinner.

That was it after that, we left vowing never to return until they change some things up... What would make this place better? Better segmentation of the smoking areas, higher quality food, better entertainment and crowd, free beverage service while playing, table games, and most importantly... Lose the attitude!

6  Thank stevehockeyman
See more reviews
Reviewed October 24, 2009

After a nightmare visit to Charles Town, WV, a few years ago, I stay away from these smaller local casinos and stick with Vegas or AC, but recently changed my mind after I saw an advertisement for Hollywood Casino and decided to give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised by the atmosphere and decor - looked similar to the casinos in AC, but not as fancy as Vegas.

While it had the newer slot machines, it was still missing some themed slots like Star Wars, Star Trek, etc. Speaking of slots, don't expect to win much here. A group of four of us lost significant money in only a few hours on a Saturday. In fact, we didn't see anyone even winning a small jackpot. These slots are definitely wearing a chastity belt.

The amount of smoke in this casino is incredible! There were poorly designed sections for smoking and non-smoking, but that didn't matter at all. Not only was the ventilation bad, but there were numerous people smoking in the non-smoking section - not enforced at all.

A nice touch was the free self-serving soda fountains by the slots. Plus, numerous waitresses delivering drinks. But I just can't recommend this place because of the bad slot play.

7  Thank ThePurpleSmurf