“Not many incentives to bring me back......”

Hollywood Casino at Penn National Race Course
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Poquoson, Virginia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Not many incentives to bring me back......”
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Would be nice if they had a shuttle bus to take guests back and forth to their local hotels.... more smoking areas than non smoking. poor returns, at least it seemed like it to me, compared to some other casinos that I have visited.

Jonestown, Pennsylvania
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Smokey and uninteresting”
Reviewed January 20, 2012

Well, first let me say that my wife and I aren't gamblers, but thought we'd check this place out since we were in the area. It was not very interesting, but was pretty smokey considering it was mid afternoon on a Sunday--the smoking and non-smoking areas but right up against each other. After spending some time walking around and playing a couple of slots we moved on.

Reading,PA
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Slot Machines & More”
Reviewed January 17, 2012

Arriving at Hollywood Casino and seeing a rather full outside parking lot,I ventured to the covered ,tiered lot and drove straight to the top where I was greeted with 2 elevator entrances both within a short walking distance.Elevator response to the top floor was rather quick and when I reached the casino floor I was sincerely greeted by a member of their security staff.
It is very clean there and most of the game denominations are clearly marked.Table games are varied and they still also have the electronic games for Blackjack & Roulette,if you want to try those.
Since I'm not a smoker,some of the sections with a good variety of slots,I avoided.There was a definite difference in air quality in these areas.
Slot selection is pretty much up to date and some of the older machines are still fun and sometimes profitable to play.
There is only 1 casino floor and the 2nd & 3rd floors are used for dining,a sports bar,horse racing simulcasting and a combination of both horse racing and dining.
The poker room is by the entrance to the horse track on the first floor.There is a spacious bar with an entertainment stage,of which I have seen Micky Dolenz put on a fantastic show there.
There is a kiosk-like coffee shop and the pizza shop is worth trying.The buffet always has a long line,but the wait time is minimal.They keep the lines moving.
Soda vending is free to the players and there are 2 machines to get a quick refreshment.
The only drawback was the lack of payout machines on the gift shop side of the casino.
Use of a comp card,does give you back some nice returns.
It's location , a 1/2 mile off of Int 81 ,makes it an easy find.
Worth a visit for anyone planning on a trip to Hershey or Harrisburg,since it is only about 20 minutes from each area.

1 Thank kingmrf
ocean city md
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Not the old Penn National!”
Reviewed January 13, 2012

I remember the old Penn National race course, and what is there now is nothing like the old place. Hollywood makes for a great night to catch a few horse races and get a little action in the casino. They have some very entertaining bands in the bar area on the weekends. I was there on a busy Friday night and I noticed that the lines for the cage and the rewards club were very long. The dealers that I interacted with were all very friendly and helpful. There are no free drinks for players (unless you are a 2nd tier rewards member). One annoying thing was that they carded us so frequently. I was wearing a wristband from the door and still had to show my ID to everyone- security, bartender, dealers and cashier. If you don’t have white hair, have your license ready at all times! It's worth checking out. Good Luck!

Visited December 2011
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Snazzy”
Reviewed January 11, 2012

It was very beautiful from the moment you pulled up on it. Has a very large variety of slots to choose from. The waitresses circulate around pretty often.