“Its a room......”

Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Grantville
Gilford, New Hampshire
“Its a room......”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

The Motel 6 chain sure has changed if my stay was any indication at all of that. When we checked in there were kids running through the lobby unattended (at 10:30pm) and the lobby reeked of chlorine. When we walked into the room the first thing that greeted us was some type of bug maybe a half inch long crawling up the wall with pinchers on its behind! The bathroom sink had mold on the grout, something either blood or BBQ sauce was splashed on the walls on the wall near the bed and in the bathroom and the set up for the room was supposed to be for 4 people but only had 3 bath towels so my son & I had to share a towel after our showers! The room overall needs a REALLY GOOD cleaning but nothing major. Sheets and pillowcases were clean but the pillows were flat and uncomfortable. Good place if you just need some sleep and a shower. Not sure if I would come back again - we were on vacation and would have liked something a bit nicer but during the 150th Anniversary of Gettysburg we couldn't be picky. Moving on to a a Sheraton for the rest of our week!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Bealeton, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

it was clean and cheap. with the basics... The staff seemed friendly and helpful. Helped with directions well. i would stay here again. I arrived late and the parking lot was well lighted. Felt reasonable safe.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Canton, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

well my husband decided to drive farther north from our usual stop @ exit 61;Heading back to CT. Wrong idea.
He pulled in, Paid $61.05 total for the night. how did he sleep - just ok. Got up @ 4:30 to take a shower - dribbles. So he did a sink wash up . Went to the front desk to tell the night person - he was sound asleep. left his "key" and off he went.
Next time he drives, he'll stay at our usual @ exit 61, there we pay about the same price, get a good night sleep and a minimal, "get you on the road" continental breakfast.
Don't leave the light on for us anymore.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Grantville hotels

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

All I look for is clean.. And I don't want to fill like the room was filled with pets.. I don't really like pet friendly hotels.. It makes me itch.. This is my second time here.. I would stay again.. It dies need little maintenance work.. (Only cause I used to manage hotels.. I noticed little things) this used to be a laquinta I think.. Or some big chain.. So it's pretty decent..

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Paju, South Korea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

I had been traveling around the country for the past two weeks when I tried to get a room at the Harrisburg Motel 6 at 2am. The receptionist informed me that there were no rooms available as there was a wrestling tournament the next day.

I continued driving towards Hershey. It was now 2:30am. I met the night manager, Les Moore and he was very welcoming, professional, and friendly. He was quick with the check-in and even walked to another hotel to get me a map of the area. He gave me directions to Hershey park. My son forgot a bag downstairs and he personally brought it up and brought the baggage cart downstairs.

The rooms were spacious and had a micro-fridge. Not exactly modern rooms, but clean and very comfortable. We got two rooms with a connecting door which was nice. There was coffee, juice, and a microwave available 24/7.

I was so impressed with his treatment of my family and me that I tipped him and let him know how much I appreciated his efforts. The next day we toured Hershey Chocolate World and took the free tour ride. I bought some packaged chocolate for my family. If you are in the Hershey area, check out this hotel. If you are in Tuscaloosa, avoid the Motel 6 there as it was a nightmare (and I have stayed in awful motels before).

Room Tip: Talk to Mr. Moore the receptionist. He is a wonderful person
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank tollerhirsch
north of Pittsburgh, PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

I booked this place for 2 nights. Just needed a place to sleep while watching a sporting event at the Giant Center. Conveniently located, just off I-81, and about a 10 min drive to the Center on Route 39. I had stayed here maybe 7-8 years ago when it was called the Country Hearth Inn. It was a newer hotel then. Time has taken its toll on this place.

I stayed in a king room on the second floor. Third is for smokers or people with pets, or both. Some rooms must have a fridge and micro, but mine didn't. Not sure how you get either, but I'm kinda glad that I had neither, just because of the lack of cleanliness/upkeep with the whole place.

Unless you stay on the 3rd floor, it will sound like elephants dancing above you...and that's even if there is no one in the ROOM above you...just the hallways which are creaky, uneven, worn, sloped. There are gaps approx. 2 inches between the room doors and the floor, so you hear pretty much everything unless you place towels or some other sound barrier in that open space.

Room was spacious. Bathroom was huge. Sink is INSIDE the bathroom, which I always thought was inconvenient if staying with others. I was by myself so it didn't matter to me. Comforter must've been "mistakenly" switched with that from a smoker's room since it had a couple cigarette burn holes in it. No biggie. I couldn't get myself to get underneath the sheets....slep on top with the comforter over me. Just didn't feel very clean to me.

Bring the following with you: Toilet paper and pillows. The pillows are boards with a cover, and the toilet paper is cheaper than that at gas stations...trust me when I tell you that.

The morning following my first night, I told the desk clerk that I didn't want to have housekeeping enter. I told him I didn't have a "Do not disturb" tag for the door. He seemed happy about it?? Anyway,when I got back to my room later that day, I saw that housekeeping had been in, made the bed (well, just the comforter), TOOK ALL OF MY TOWELS without replacing them...threw the soap and shampoo packets in the garbage, which, by the way, were NOT emptied..HAHAHAHAHA..."You've gotta be kidding me" I thought to myself. Nope....left me with two wash clothes and a hand towel. Figured I'd make do with that and didn't even ask the clerk for more..Luckily I travel with soap and shampoo just in case.

Last, but not least, and probably the oddest thing that I noticed in the room was this: A razor blade was inside the plastic fire escape plan on the back/inside portion of the room door. Yes...a razor blade. I took a photo and posted it here...I couldn't believe it...Not sure why it would be there...a few thoughts come to mind, but I really don't know the reason.

Not sure why there is an indoor pool. Dark, dirty, and cold.

There is coffee in the morning in the lobby...I didn't have any on my way out. Just didn't look clean. Went across the street to a little breakfast place and got a coffee to go instead.

To sum it all up, I guess I might...MIGHT...stay here again, but probably not. It's cheap, and you get what you pay for. There are plenty of other hotels on this same road, even a couple within a hundred or so yards of this one. This place shares a parking lot with the Scottish Inn, but parking really didn't seem to be a problem because there weren't many people at either hotel....not really surprised I guess.
For an inexpensive, lay-your-head-down type of place, it's ok. I've seen worse.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Jimb0BigDude
Calais, Maine
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

If you occasionally feel the need to be abused, verbally and physically, by a night clerk; and to be assaulted with filthy surroundings, then run---don't walk---run to this nightmare Motel 6. Appropriately located on Jonestown Road, even! Ask for the night clerk Juan, and you can be assured of the scariest evening this side if Bates Motel and the Shining. And, whatever you do, don't complain, because Juan goes ballistic, and threaten to ban you from all Motel 6's for the rest of your life.

We left after 15 minutes there, Which was about 14 minutes too many.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grantville
Super 8 Harrisburg Hershey North
La Quinta Inn & Suites Harrisburg Hershey
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Harrisburg Northeast (Hershey)
Econo Lodge Harrisburg
Econo Lodge Harrisburg
#29 of 50 in Harrisburg
Days Inn Grantville
Days Inn Grantville
#3 of 9 in Grantville
Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg

Been to Motel 6 Harrisburg - Hershey North? Share your experiences!