All reviewsmini golfbasketball courtwater slidessausagehershey parkpool tablepancake machinenice kitchenetteitalian restaurant next doorindoor poolcomforts of homeyogurtcontinental breakfastwould stay here againpull out couchfront desk staffbeds were comfortable
Reviewed August 27, 2009

My family and I were vacationing and wanted somewhere close to Hershey. After researching hotels I thought this would be very convenient and close for what we wanted to do. We were able to check in at 4:00 pm. There were no problems with our check in and we were given a room right next to the lobby on the first floor. While checking in I noticed a few flies flying around but didn't think anything of it until we went to our room only to be met at the door with more flies. We had at least 4 in our room that we could count. My kids wanted to see the pool so we changed and headed ot the pool area. As soon as you walk into the hotel you can smell the strong odor of chlorine. Once in the pool area your eyes immediately start to burn. There was no ventilation in the pool area. There was so much chlorine in the pool that you know something wasn't right. While sitting on the chairs watching the kids for about 5 min. my husband proceeded to swoop his hands near a group of flies and catch three in mid-air. This may tell you that they have a fly problem. I went out to the front desk to ask about the air and flies and I proceeded to see the person behind the desk swatting flies with a fly swatter and he informed me they are trying to get rid of them. I couldn't spend the next 4 nights there so I asked about their early check out policy and the lady told me they would have to charge me for tonight, but she would change our reservations and we wouldn't be charged for the other 3 nights. We ended up finding a Holiday Inn Express in Hummlestown. A few miles from where we were staying and they were even closer to Hershey Park. One mile!! I would not recommend Mainstay Suites unless you enjoy being bombarded with flies. GROSS!!2125

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank DIeHardHockey
Reviewed August 24, 2009

We stayed only one night during a 3 day trip to Hershey Park with 2 kids- 3 & 7 yrs. We stayed in a King suite w/ pull out bed for the kids, separate bedroom for us, and kitchenette area. The room was clean and comfortable. I have to laugh at the other reviews because we too were told at 2PM that are room was not ready, and had several unwelcome flies in our room. But, the pool was fine, it is what it is and we weren't at Hershey to visit the indoor pool. My son liked the slide but I thought it was a little dangerous given it's near distance to the wall, 4 ft depth, and speed at which he came out of the tube! The room was a bargain at $159/ night as opposed to $300 a night at the Hershey hotel. It's a new hotel, and the building quality is definitely on the "cheap" side like one other reviewer said, (but I am not going to pick it apart down to the molding). Breakfast was fine. I am a bit of a germaphobe and find buffets unappealing anyway so my opinion on this wouldn't matter. We also eat organically so the kids were happy to have real fruit loops for once! Take it for what it is- it was fine for a night or two; it's not like you are investing in a timeshare or condo property! I will stay there again if we ever are so inclined to go back to Hershey Park because it was comfortable for a family of four, convenient, well priced and clean.

Reviewed August 18, 2009

I stayed here for 3 nights on a trip to Hershey Park with my sister, her 18 and 21 yr old, my 13 yr old neice, and 2 1/2 yr old daughter. One of the main reasons for staying here was because my sister is kind of a hotel snob, and she likes to stay in the Spring Hill Suites when she visits here. That was too expensive for me, and when I found this, she was pleased with the reviews. And the indoor pool with waterslide, mini golf, and basketball were great for the kids. Upon arrival, the desk clerk was very polite. There was no issue with checking in early. We were on the 3rd floor and the room was clean. It was a little smaller than I expected for a suite that sleeps 6 people. When the sofa bed is pulled out, there's not a lot of room. But that's only when you're sleeping, so it doesn't matter. There is enough room to walk around at night so you're not bumping into stuff if you have to get up to use the bathroom.
There is a closet/changing room right in front of the bathroom. It gives you more bathroom space when you're showing and getting dressed, and you can close the outside door to block the light from others in the room who may still be sleeping. The alarm clock is crap - I set it for 6:45 to get up and go swimming (pool opens at 7am) before we hit the amusement park, and it sounded like a pin dropping. I had woken up 10 minutes before that and that's the only reason I heard it. I would use a cell phone as a back-up alarm. I don't know if I used the wrong alarm setting or if it was just in my room, but just FYI on that. There were dishes and silverware in the kitchen, but only service for 2. Pretty odd for a room for 6. And the maids didn't clean the dishes during my stay - but I've since been told that is normal. Had I known that, I would have brought dish soap with me. I had to rinse out the bowls with water so my daughter could use it a 3rd time for Cheerios. They also did not make the beds while I was there, another thing I found to be odd. However, they did clean the room :-) My daughter spilled a ton of milk soaked cheerios on the floor the first morning. I was stepping all over them when I came out of the shower - they were gone when we got back to the room later in the evening. Also, there were only 4 sets of towels in the bathroom, and the reservation was for 6. I never asked for extras, but I assume it would not have been a problem.
The breakfast was ok - bagels, danishes, muffins, bread (toaster available), cereal, apples, and oranges - but nothing to write home about. There was also white and chocolate milk, orange juice, and some other juice, berry maybe. The orange juice tasted like puke, it was nasty. It could have been a bad batch on a bad day, but I didn't drink it after that. My daughter used the milk in her cheerios and didn't have any complaints. And there is coffee down there for 24 hour use.
The indoor pool is great! My 2 1/2 yr old daughter loved the water slide!! It is kind of a pain for adults to get up there, though, and I had to be the one helping her up, and go down the slide with her, until everyone else showed up the next day. But that's not a big deal b/c it's not for adults. You have to climb up to a platform, than again to another, a couple more times. But the space between each landing is only like a foot or two, so an adult or older teenager will have to climb and squeeze. It's not a tight fit, it's just annoying b/c it's not a ladder. I guess they were trying to make it more interesting than just a ladder. This isn't a big deal, but only worth mentioning if you plan on climbing up to the waterslide a lot ;-) There are tons of towels at the pool, but they are small. But at least you don't have to get your bath towels wet. And the pool being indoor was wonderful - it rained right after we got in our first day, but we could still go swimming. And there was nothing better for a 2 yr old who was couped up in a car seat for 14 hours than going swimming in a heated pool and slide down the waterslide! There are also bathrooms at the pool, and a shower. The only complaint about the pool is that it stunk of chlorine right when you walk in. Nothing major, at least I knew the pool was clean. But after over an hour of swimming and getting water in your eyes, it does start to burn a little. Not sure if that was because the pool in indoors or because it was heavily chlorinated. There is a door to go outside from the pool which has a couple of butt buckets for smokers, and some tables and chairs. Just make sure you bring the room key to get back in.
There were a lot of flies, as other reviewers mentioned, but they were outside. I live in the south, so I'm used to bugs. But they were never in my room, and I don't think I saw any inside the lobby. The lobby is very easy to access with a ramp in front of the doors and automatic doors. My daughter was in the stroller while I wheeled the luggage and used the storage area underneath for everything that I couldn't carry.
This hotel is somewhat in the middle of nowhere - nothing but farms around, and a few other crappy hotels. There's an italian restaurant across the street that will deliver right to your room! The food was pretty good on the one night I ordered. There is also a chinese restaurant that the desk staff recommended, and they deliver as well. There are menus at the front desk for both. And there is Crossroads Cafe nearby, there is a flyer in the room for it. I didn't eat there. Other than that, there are some fast food restaurants about 5-6 miles away, so nothing is "right there".
The proximity to Hershey is great - about 10 minutes, and it's a straight shot. If you don't want to pay top notch prices to stay across the street, this hotel is great! There is a small business center with 2 computers right off the lobby. Nothing great, but nice if you don't have a laptop. I had a little trouble getting the WiFi in my room because it said it couldn't connect. But all I had to do was open the browser and enter the user name and password (front desk can tell you this). And parking was never a problem. There were no long walks to get in the door, and since I was toting a toddler in a stroller with lots of luggage, this was important. There's nothing like staying at a big Hilton and having to park around the corner and tote everything for what feels like miles. You can pull into the lot, park your car, bring in all your luggage, then go check in and head to your room. Other places that I've been I had to park at the lobby to check-in, then park my car and tote my luggage in.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone. The indoor pool is a definite bonus to keep the kids busy or give them something to do if they want to get up early. All of the downsides that I mentioned are nothing major, I just wanted to let people know about them. And those are the small items that kept me from giving this hotel 5 stars. I plan on staying here when I visit again next year, and the rates were reasonable for the area (with AAA) :-) And since I checked a lot of hotels nearby Hershey Park, the reviews were awful and the motels were in bad areas.

2  Thank dlphn501
Reviewed August 17, 2009

I believe our room was directly under the indoor basketball court. Bam, bam, bam... It was also right off the lobby, meaning just steps away from the front desk. It was very noisy all the time. At nearly 10 PM, my husband asked the front desk if they could please close the basketball court. We have 3 young children who were trying to sleep and it was impossible with the basketball noise.

People kept coming in and talking loudly in the lobby very late into the night, but eventually I did doze off. However, at 1:00 AM I was completely awakened by what sounded like the loudest vacuum cleaner I have ever heard outside my door, going on... off... on... off... on... off... After several minutes of this, I opened my door to see what was going on... what on earth they could be doing out there at that hour. To my surprise, I found the entire lobby filled with a gaseous cloud of bug poison and the Orkin man in full respirator. I guess this was to try to kill some of the flies, which others have mentioned (we killed a dozen flies in our room during our stay). Anyway, not wanting to breathe in any more of that bug poison (I'm serious, it was total fog out there) I shut the door and went back to bed... and fortunately, after a little while the Orkin man must have finished and left. I guess they can't bomb the place when people are walking around, but ugh... 1 AM????

The room itself was very nice... very comfy beds... nice kitchenette. In terms of cleanliness, the room was very clean... but I can't give the place 5 stars because of all the flies and the Orkin bombing that I stepped out into. The complimentary breakfast, as others have mentioned, was not so great, especially considering the price of the room. They even ran out of butter.

The location near HersheyPark was very convenient. My kids loved the indoor pool and there were towels provided as well as deck chairs and tables. We had no problem with our wireless internet connection (probably because of our proximity to the front desk... the guest computers were literally on the other side of the wall from us).

I suppose this could have been a nice place to stay if we had been put in almost any other room. If you are a person who is used to sleeping with a lot of noise around, you might not mind what I'm describing but if you need a little more quiet, I would definitely try to get a different room. I sure wish I had. For the price, I am not too thrilled with the way our stay turned out... but I would give this place another chance in the future.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 15, 2009

Arrived and the front desk told me my room was not ready yet. Lady at desk yelled at me and told me check in was at 4:00 pm. I arrived at 3:15 and informed her my email confirmation says 3:00. I showed her the email. She didn't even care. I finally got a room 307 and it had a huge red stain on the carpet, a green slim stain on the wall, and the mirror had tooth paste all over it. I talked to the manger and he said he would see what he could do. NOTHING The next morning at breakfast there must have been 40 flies around the eating area it was disgusting. Everyone that worked there had no uniforms on just jeans and a main stays shirt. The pool was dirty, but the water slide was a hit with the kids. The hotel is less the a year old and the workmenship of the hotel is sad. I found exposed staples used to hold the carpet, window molding not cut right, the back stair case handle not on right. When I checked out the lady in front of me paid with cash and they already charge her card. It took them 20 minutes to refund the card. They told her who pays with cash anymore. I just laughed . I would never stay at this hotel again.

1  Thank BuffaloMrP