“Great Stay”

MainStay Suites
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Grantville
“Great Stay”
Reviewed August 19, 2011

We spent three nights in a 1 bedroom suite with two adults and two kids and have nothing but positive things to say. The room was clean, the beds were comfortable and the bathroom appeared to be recently remodeled. The kids absolutely loved the waterside at the pool and the mini golf. In fact they seemed to want to do that over going to Hersheypark. The free breakfast was good as well. It's the typical continental breakfast but everyone found something they liked.

Honestly I don't understand the negative reviews I've read. Was it pricey? Yes, but on par with any other theme park area. There were some minor marking on the walls from chairs rubbing up against them, etc but no holes or the like. And yes the elevator does squeak but its actually one of the aluminum panels thats rubbing and not anything structurally wrong with the hotel.

If we find ourselves in the area in the future we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank rls23

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 18, 2011

Recent family vacation: As a first timer to Hershey Park area, I was very excited about going to the park, and staying at Mainstay, a hotel that my sister and her family have visited twice prior. The hotel staff: good customer service, one fellow had the giggles, had to excuse himself, while the other continued to assist with my check in- strange. After I was given hotel information, staff asked me “ I got it”, strange. The room (double, non-smoking) was clean, coffee pot needed a little attention, so I did re clean prior to use. The bathroom was clean, although, so there were some dirty spots on the wall, by the outlets, and the tub could have used some bleach, floors could also have used a little elbow grease to make them well- cleaner. I went over all surfaces with wipes (and toilet bowl), to be on the safe side. Beds were super comfortable, linens were clean and smelled fresh. No complaints there. Stain on the carpet, probably could be easily removed, not sure why it hadn’t. The hallways at times appeared to need a vacuuming. Almost always the utility closets doors were open, and were messy. The basketball and golf area very nice, kids utilized it and enjoyed themselves. The pool area- sigh. The first night we arrived, the kids had a blast, towels were well stocked. As a pool owner I look at things from a slightly different perspective. Yes, there was a rusty appearance to the pool floor, not sure WHY. I was at Mainstay for 3 evenings.. that said there was a wad of hair and rotting band aids in the same spot, I ignored those things because my family was not effected and each day, I would go in and bet the trash would be picked it, sadly tho, it hadn’t. Day two a sign was posted, that the pool was closed because someone had defecated in the pool. It was shut down and cleaned. We returned to the pool with the kids, later the next day, it had been reopened. The pool had been cleaned and treated we were told. The pool area was messy, hair and rotted band aid still there, along with a nasty old coffee cup, towels piled on top of the trash can. House keeping did restock while we were there. Upon exit of the pool, I had to wash my hands, the bathroom toilet was clogged with feces, the trash can overflowing with trash, nasty , nasty, nasty. As I gathered our belongings, I noticed a piece of feces in the corner. Needless to say, I will be going online to find out the name of the hotels owner. This hotel had a few good points; I think it needs some love and attention. The maintenance people need to be re-trained on how to clean properly, and the front desk on customer service, and property management. . I’m so troubled as to why management fails to patrol the areas that are heavily utilized. I won’t be going back, simpliy due to the pool area. I was grossed out by the pool area and the bathroom and canot get over that especially because we travel with children and the pool is well something we like and use all the time. Shame on Mainstay.

Room Tip: second floor facing parking lot
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Travel20114Fun
Reviewed August 12, 2011

We had two rooms for 3 adults and 5 kids ages 12-14. They loved it. The room were very spacious and clean. The hotel is new but could use some tlc. The toilet ran all night and there was a hole in the wall from the door.

The kids loved the pool which stayed opened until 10 p.m. It was clean. They also loved the mini golf.
Breakfast was standard.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank Chelek
Kittanning, PA
Reviewed August 3, 2011

We were not too happy with our stay in this hotel, although part of it was admittedly my fault. I booked a smoking room because that was all that was available at what I thought was a reasonable rate, as all the hotels in the Hershey area seem terribly overpriced. I naively thought that the smell would not be that bad, and hoped that perhaps when we checked in a nonsmoking room would be available. Well, none were available and the smell was overpowering. When we checked in, the young man at the desk said if the smell was too bad to call him and he could send up an ionizer. So I immediately called the desk and it rang and rang and rang and nobody answered. So we decided to get some dinner and weigh our options. On the way out, the same man was at the desk so I stopped and told him we wanted the ionizer, and it was fine if they brought it in while we were out. When we returned, I discovered why he hadn't answered the phone...he was outside smoking and talking on his cell phone. We went back to the room and the ionizer was nowhere in sight. Of course, there was again no answer at the desk. So we decided to try to go elsewhere, as we had discovered other problems with the room. I called another hotel and got a room there, so we packed the luggage back up and took it down to the lobby. The kid was back at the desk then, so we told him we were going elsewhere and he refused to refund our money because I had booked online. So we stayed and eventually, about an hour later, they brought the ionizer. Now about those other problems...when we went to dinner, we opened the window to try to let some of the stench out. Even though there was a screen over the window, when we returned, the room was full of flies! It seemed to be a problem in the entire area; there were flies in the restaurant we went to, flies in our car, and I talked to a woman on the elevator the next day who said they had to be moved to a different room because of the flies! The beds were way too soft and we slept poorly, the carpets in the hallways were dirty, the elevator sounded like the cable was going to snap any minute, and one morning we had no cold water - only hot! But by far the worst thing was the pool. My son and I tried it and every time we would swim across the pool our fingers would become entangled in hair! Long black hair! I've never experienced anything so gross and we stayed about 5 minutes, which was a shame because it could have been a very nice pool. I will say the breakfast was more substantial than a lot of hotels provide, and they did a good job of keeping it stocked, but the hotel's own information said that it was served from 6:30-9:30, but a sign in the lobby said it was only served from 7-9. Two hours is a very short time frame in which to try to feed an entire hotel full of people, which consequently made for very long lines for breakfast. Having a kitchenette was nice, and the place has the potential to be a very good hotel, but for a place that's only a couple of years old (I was told), it seems awfully neglected already. I don't believe I would return at any price.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Beckybunny
Port Jefferson Station, New York
Reviewed August 3, 2011

Stayed for the weekend, 7/29 - 7/31. First let me start by saying, this was a group reservation made by an agency for a sports tournament we were attending. With that being said our room was filthy upon arrival. We asked for a different room and were told nothing available by the "kids" working the front desk. The cleaning staff were gone for the day at that point so we made do. Hallways equally as dirty. Trash bins full and pizza boxes left for entire stay on top of them. The property is located on what appears to be filled in swamp land. I am assuming that is why there is no outside pool. The amount of flies in the area might be another reason. I have never seen this many flies, outside of being in a landfill. Signs on the door to keep closed as not to allow them in. Fly traps filled and hanging from all trees. Disgusting. There is an indoor pool with slide, but the chlorine level made being in the room unbearable. Burning eyes just from sitting in the pool area. We couldn't open the door to the deck because of the fly infestation. The property is located only 5 minutes from Hershey Park as the only positive. At $410 for 2 nights, this was not what I expected. There are several other hotels in that immediate area that might be better suited. We did speak with some other teams that stayed elsewhere and had no complaints.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Enjoyingus5
Manchester, NH
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Loved our stay here. Kids love the pool with waterside, basketball and mini golf. As a parent, we loved the suite. The pull out couch is VERY uncomfortable and they have NO cots. Very easy drive into Hershey, helpful staff. Great stay, would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2011
Scranton, PA
Reviewed July 27, 2011

We stayed here on July 7th. Got to the hotel late and the front was empty. About 15 minutes later someone came to check me in. Being late at night the front desk clerk was fixing some plumbing for someone. The breakfast was the usual kind of "continental" style that you see in most budget hotels. Now for the disgusting part. We stayed here because the hotel had a slide whichi thought would be fun for the kids. The pool smelled of gross mold and, are you ready for this, when I was in the pool in the 5ft deep end I couldn't see my feet. Nice and green. The rooms were nice and clean andonly minutes from Hershey Park. There were 5 of us which is why I chose this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank dbamkin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grantville
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#5 of 9 in Grantville
Days Inn Grantville
Days Inn Grantville
#3 of 9 in Grantville
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Harrisburg Northeast (Hershey)
Hampton Inn Harrisburg / Grantville / Hershey
Holiday Inn Harrisburg/Hershey
La Quinta Inn & Suites Harrisburg Hershey

Been to MainStay Suites? Share your experiences!