“Average to Just Below Average”

Days Inn Grantville
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Grantville
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Let me first say that I travel virtually every week on business and stay in very nice hotels with amenities. This hotel is definately not that. I was there this past weekend with a bunch of friends for the weekend. Our group comes out here in March and June every year and most of us either stay at the Holiday Inn (expensive for a run-down hotel) or our preferred hotel, the Comfort Suites next door to the Holiday Inn. The Comfort Suites was sold out, but is typically expensive (~$150) when we come in June.

The location is really good. It is just off the interstate and the main road (743) going south takes you right to Hershey Park, Chocolate World, outlets, stadium, etc. Maybe a 10-15 minute drive through the country. Going north on 743 for a couple minutes you find the casino and Penn National Horse Race Track.

The staff is great and were very helpful when I needed a last minute change. Our rooms were ready when we arrived, were fairly clean, had a slight musty odor, and some flies. The musty odor was likely from the purple (actually black but behind vinyl wallpaper looks purple) mold behind the wallpaper in the sink area and some water damaged and soft sheetrock all around the top of the shower. In the morning, I found out that the flies come in through a gap at the door where the sunlight came through. I got rid of the flies and pushed a washcloth in the gap. It looks like they used an entire tube of caulk around the shower. The carpet looked fairly new and the linens were what I expected, thin and somewhat starchy. The bed was comfortable. The flat screen TV was nice and had many channels. As for amenities, there really were none other than a small continental breakfast, some brouchures, and a few soda machines. There is no pool, restaurant, or bar, but there is plenty of parking for trucks and/or motorhomes. There is no elevator and all rooms are accessed from the outside.

All in all, our stay was acceptable for us guys. It is a bargain-basement hotel and needs to be judged that way. It is fine for a quick stay. Would I stay here again? Probably.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
jldlapple, Manager at Days Inn Grantville, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2012

I'm glad you found our Hotel accommadating to your needs. I'm glad you found our Hotel clean and our staff friendly.

We look forward to hosting your future trips.

Janet Appleby
Manager

Reviewed June 25, 2012

We are seasoned travelers and have alot to compare to. We travel to Hershey area a few times a year for the Penn National Racing, but travel extensively USA, Canada, Carribean and Italy. When we pay big dollars we expect big things and perfection. It is rarely the case. We depend heavily on honest reviews from TRIP ADVISOR. We always stayed at the Holiday Inn Grantville which is a crumbling disaster filthy close to 200.00 a night hotel. Run over with screaming kids from groups of churches, etc. A mess at any price. Plaster in rooms falling off the walls. We needed a new place to land and the reviews did NOT dissappoint us. What we found was a somewhat large, clean and comfortable room for 75.00 a night. Do not let the price sway you from not staying. Usually in this price range compared to other hotels you would want to know why. There is no reason other than these folks are fair. They know what they have, they know the limitations of their facility and they are not price gouging for more than they offer. We are and can be very picky. At any price I expect a clean room. I will not compromise on that. I travel with my pets and I refuse to allow them to sleep on dirty floors even with their own bedding. The not so good....upon arrival to our room 223 we found the outside door to be covered in rust spots and sorely needing paint. My husband looked at me and said, what are you getting us into. The metal threshold was loose and rocking back and forth when we stepped on it. He almost turned around and got back in the car. When we opened the door the sage green carpeting was torn, tattered and totally ripped away from the threshold exposing the jute backing. We stepped 1 foot in the door and we found it to be very well equipped. Possibly too much furniture. It was rather new looking, nice size micro and good size fridge. Bed was clean, crisp, comfortable. I was very surprised there were no plastic mattress or box spring coveres as is the new norm to protect from bedbugs. The room had none, but I would have liked to seen the encasements on the foundations. The AC/heat unit was awesome. It was a newer SANYO system. It kept the room ice cold which is how I set it for. Perfect. We have left hotels because of poor HVAC systems. I cannot tolerate being even the slightest too warm. The sink area was clean and had everything you need. hairdryer, iron, board, a few toiletries and coffee pot. Lighting was good over the sink. The bathroom was actually rather large and laid out nicely. A little old fashion and dark but super clean. Even in the corners and behind the toilet. Yes, I looked. The room had a jetted tub which we did not use but it is there if you wish. Towels were plentiful, decent, not luxury by any means, but certainly not thread bare either. Breakfast was the usual continental plus. it is not for diabetics or others trying to eat less carbs. Cereal, breads, muffins, they did have oatmeal but we had to pass because of the high blood sugar consequences. Just the addition of some hard boiled eggs would have made it perfect. But for kids or younger people hey its something to eat. Parking is plentiful, if you can't find a spot in front of your room there is an acre of gravel lot surrounding the place so you will not find it hard to find a spot. Quiet. I was very concerned that with full occupancy, the summer months, I had the usual vision of screaming children running rampent all over the place and especially over our ground floor room. None. You could hear a pin drop at this place all day, and all night. Although it was an outside room which we do not like as we always prefer interior corridor accommodations we felt very very safe. If you looked around in the parking lot you saw middle class people, families and I will be honest to say we did not see any riff raff hanging around. The staff was very nice. Upon arrival Ashley checked us in. There was a little problem with our room request as we needed a ground floor room, with micro and fridge to due diabetic reasons for the insulin AND I have a very old pet that simply cannot go up the steps. She swiftly and politely took care of making us happy. The breakfast area I noticed was always being kept clean and was being freshed and restocked when things were getting low (we only took coffee there). So for a clean room, fair price, accommodating staff close to Penn National and Hollywood Casino, the interstate and Hershey you will NOT go wrong. All of the good points outweighed the bad points, they were minor and cosmetic only but did not interfere with our comfort, cleanliness or safety. No i would not tolerate these defects in my home, but as I sais we've been around. This is a good place, don't hesitate.
Suitcaseannie

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

Thank you for your recent review. I am glad you found our motel clean, comfortable and affordable. while in the area. I will ber spraking with maintence to address the carpet and door issues. We hope to see you in your future to travels to the Hershey area. Janet Appleby General Manager

Reviewed June 21, 2012

We arrived @ 8pm to find our room not clean- hadn't been prepared. New room was gross. The floors were dirty- tub was horrendous. Sink & tabletops were sticky-and there was about 1/2 in of dust on everything. Thank goodness I had clorox wipes in the glovebox! The blankets & bedspreads hadn't been laundered either. The remote and the phone & alarmclock were sticky and dirty. The only things clean were sheets & towels. We couldnt wait to get out of there- didn't even take a comp cup of coffee. Its one thing to have an older building etc. But there is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE for filth. AAA is clearly misinformed on the quality of this hotel! 3 diamonds? Yeah- for the 4 flies in our room maybe. Do yourself a favor & pass right by this place!!

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed June 15, 2012

This is a very nice Hotel, clean, with large rooms, and only 13 miles from Hershey Park, at much lower price than in Hershey. Good road across from motel to Hershey park. motel office has good map to use.
breakfast was a little skimpy but not bad. good staff

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
jldlapple, Manager at Days Inn Grantville, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2012

I am very pleased you found our rooms clean and comfortable with reasonable rates. Also, I was happy you found the map to be helpful in planning your trip to all the Hershey attractions. We look forward to hosting you in the future.

Reviewed June 3, 2012

Me and my family (with our two dogs) stopped here for one night while we were on our way home from visiting family. We were put in room 320, which was very confusing to find at night, and the front desk didn't give us very good directions to help us find the room. Plus the room was all the way on the top floor and had no elevator. It was clean for an average hotel room. The beds were very comfy and fairly new looking, although kind of smallish. The bathroom was very small and somewhat old with a very loud fan. And the breakfast was not exactly stick-to-your-ribs kind of food, had little variety, and was all cold-style. It was a great place to sleep overnight and take a warm shower.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
jldlapple, General Manager at Days Inn Grantville, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2012

Thank you for your recent review. I am glad that you found our Days Inn clean and comfortable, while you visited family in the area. I have instructed the front desk clerks on proper instructions on telling guests how to reach their rooms. We hope to see you and your family and (two dogs) in the future.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

For the price this place had all we needed to land after a great day at Hershey. Only thing it was missing was a pool. Call ahead to book a room with a microwave and fridge.

• Stayed: May 2012

Thank you for your kind review. I was pleased you found our hotel comfortable after a day at the park. We hope to see you in the future to visit other attractions that are nearby.

Reviewed May 7, 2012

This place was awful! Me and my three children were in town for a baseball tourtament and decided to stay I guess you get what you pay for! We got into our hotel room 110 for the night about 10pm to find out all our toilet did was run and not flush at all, there was chewed up gum on the bathroom door frame. I couldnt even park infront of my room and take our luggage in cause the space had a vehicle in it. The room stunk! My daughter refused to even take a shower in the tub. The kids were all so tired from the day so we managed to get to sleep and at 1:30am we were all woken up by pounding, walking, laughing, blaring tv ect. so I called the front desk to complain and they said they would call the room but the noises continued into the morning and we got no sleep for the baseball games for the next day which I told the front desk about. When we checked out there was no questions asked about how my stay was BUT i DID LEAVE A NOTE ON THE TV STAND! When I called them the next day they said that they never had a complaint from my room which was an absolute lie! This place is so unprofessional. I have worked in the hotel buisness and this place is a disaster very nice way of treating your guests!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
jldlapple, General Manager at Days Inn Grantville, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2012

Thank you for your recent review. I am sorry you experienced several issues upon your stay.
It can be challenging when we are sold out.
I will speak with our housekeeping team regarding cleaning practices. I apologize and hope you will give us another chance in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Grantville
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#6 of 8 in Grantville
MainStay Suites Grantville - Hershey North
Holiday Inn Harrisburg-Hershey
Hampton Inn Harrisburg / Grantville / Hershey
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Harrisburg Northeast (Hershey)
La Quinta Inn & Suites Harrisburg Hershey

Been to Days Inn Grantville? Share your experiences!