“Pampered Guests!”
Review of Glen Rock Mill Inn

Glen Rock Mill Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Glen Rock
Glen Rock Mill Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Glen Rock B&B and Inns
Baltimore, Maryland
“Pampered Guests!”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

First, a disclaimer: my wife and I were married at the Glen Rock 14 years ago. It is now under different owners. That being said we recently stayed at the inn to celebrate our anniversary. We had stopped in a few months before to see what was what under the present owners. At that time we had a delicious dinner and resolved to return.

What we found:

The food is consistently good to excellent. The chef, Sean, has delicious specials which compliment the regular menu. Highpoints for me included the Jalapeño Popper Chicken, the Bacon-wrapped scallops, and the amazing mushroom swiss burger. Also don't miss trying the focaccia bread. Drinks are reasonable and well made and they also feature wines from a local vineyard (Seven Hills) that we liked so much we visited It the next day and bought a case!

On to the room. The "suite" is huge. Equipped with more amenities than most luxury hotels, it is well worth a visit. The owners and staff made us feel very welcome by delivering a bottle of wine to the room and ensuring that everything was perfect. It seems as though they are still in the process of restoring the rooms for anyone that minds a few old stains on the carpet or a small patch of peeling paint on the ceiling, this might not be the place for you. Overall, the room was clean and comfortable. We were especially delighted the next morning (not too early) by the sight of the old steam train passing through right below the window! All in all a memorable stay.

Kudos to owners Terry and Cindy, and general manager Alyssa as well as the entire staff for doing such a great job. My wife remarked to me that although our wedding day at the inn was very special, she had a better time on this anniversary because she was more relaxed and could enjoy herself thanks to the staff making it so easy.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Wingtravel_10

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

This review applies to staying in the Heathcoate Suite.

The Good: This is a one of a kind huge suite with 2 baths, private upstairs observation cupola, screened in porch, 2 fire places, kitchen, living room, book nook and jacuzzi tub. The suite was clean and the bed was comfortable for a firm bed. Also had a very good meal and service at the restaurant.

The Bad: The suite is outdated in a 1980s mixed furniture way and the carpet is well worn. The bedroom fan was loud and many light bulbs were burnt out around the suite. The cable tv did not work at all and the TVs were small and old. The smoke detector in the bedroom was missing its cover and battery! The town also has a fire siren that went off four times throughout the night, totally unnecessary in 2012, even in York County.

Overall, this was a fine novelty experience for us, because we live locally and have no need to return.

• Stayed October 2012
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 27, 2012

Is there a rating below terrible? Run down and dirty. Had 2 adjoining room with a total of 1 clothes hanger and 1 chair. Toilet seat and walls with chipped peeling paint, musty odor. I checked carefully for bed bugs - did not find any. Band in the bar went til midnight...very loud in room. We had early departure, before anyone was around, the front door was locked and we could not get out. The other door was unlocked but held shut with a broom stick. A hot mess...and I am not a fussy traveler.

Room Tip: There aren't any...everything is up 2 flights of steep stairs, no elevator and no offer ot help...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
York, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 9, 2012

Ate there recently and was horrified by the place. Hostess is in flip flops, odor coming from dining room, food took forever, 1 hour, to arrive, and then the steak was overcooked and the fish my husband ordered was dry.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank becky h
Reviewed July 13, 2011

Stay somewhere else, they obviously don't care about the place.

• Stayed April 2011
2 Thank reviewpa
York
Reviewed October 3, 2010

My girlfriend and I like to find little get-aways from time to time , just far enough that we don't have to take any time off work. After passing through Glen Rock a few times , I noticed the Mill. A few weeks later we rode our bikes on the rail trail ( which runs right past the Mill ) and stopped in for lunch on the patio. I was a really nice atmosphere and the food was better then what we expected. After the lunch we took a tour of the place. Only one way to describe it...."WOW" . They even have a wine cellar that looks like it could sit 12-15 people and from what I was told that's where they hold their wine tasting's. Anyhow, we went there last month for dinner , followed by a stay that night in one of their rooms upstairs. The rooms were small , but we knew that going in . They were clean and quiet as well. To sum it up , if you want a change of pace, and if you like to ride the rail trail, make it a point to stop in this landmark. We really found nothing negative to say about our lunch, dinner and/or stay. I have noticed on their web site that they are having more and more events all the time. We will be going back when the leaves change!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank silencedogoodYork
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed May 3, 2010

I don't usually write reviews, but there weren't any for the Glen Rock Mill Inn when I made my decision to stay here. I stayed here on a busy weekend (the huge Fairie Festival was happening), and I'm not sure if the busy-ness had anything to do with the problems we had...

First of all, we checked in and found out that we were apparently booked for two rooms. I said nothing in any of my correspondences with them about a second room, and luckily I brought my confirmation email with me. The manager fixed the problem (begrudgingly, I might add), and we thought everything was taken care of... But then, somehow we were booked for a third night. Once again, my confirmation email from them explicitly said that we were booked for two nights and one room, so I don't know how the mix-up happened. Finally everything was taken care of. Thank goodness.

Our room was awkward. I know that it's a very old building and I certainly wasn't expecting the Ritz or anything, but we were staying in the "executive flat", which you actually have to walk through the laundry room to get to. We also had a "private entrance", which was around the back of the building. There were probably only 2 or 3 on-street parking spaces, which were luckily available every time. To get to the main part of the inn and the restaurant, we had to walk all the way down the street (no sidewalk -- dangerous at night) and around to the front part of the building.

The room itself was incredibly spacious and clean, but it sort of didn't seem ready to accommodate guests. The TV didn't work, the refrigerator was full-size but didn't get cold or even cool. Certain light switches didn't work. With a little updating and maintenance, it could be nice, though.

But! The room was nice, aside from that. It was extremely secluded and you kind of didn't feel like you were staying at the inn, if you're into that. The restaurant was good and the bar was really nice with wonderful entertainment.

I might recommend staying here, but only if you quadruple check your reservations before you come and you aren't planning on staying in the "executive flat".

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ohmisskaroline
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glen Rock
Hampton Inn Shrewsbury
Hampton Inn Shrewsbury
#1 of 1 in New Freedom
Home2 Suites by Hilton York
Jackson House Bed and Breakfast

Been to Glen Rock Mill Inn? Share your experiences!