“Nice place”

Not Your Average Joe's
Reserve with OpenTable
Not Your Average Joe's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 67 Restaurants in Glen Mills
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 27, 2014

My wife and visited NYAJ on a Saturday night. We had made reservations which was good because the wait was about 30 minutes. We overheard the hostess telling a caller that they only take reservations for a quarter of their seating capacity to allow for walk-ins. As this was our first visit to this newly opened place, we were impressed with the décor and ambiance. The hostess staff was relatively young and still learning the ropes (more later) but they were friendly. We were taken to our table at the same time another couple was. In fact, and this was a first for me at any restaurant, the waitress welcomed us both at the same time and at times treated us like we were together. It wasn't that bad but was unusual. You would think for seating flow that they would locate guests who are seated at the same time in different stations to make it easier on the servers - again, I go back to the hostesses who are still learning the ropes.

Once we get past that, we were pleased with the variety on the menu. The manager pitched in by bringing us our water. The focaccia bread was very good and a nice touch. My wife got the sirloin tips and I got the meatloaf. My wife's mashed potatoes were luke warm so we commented to the server and got a piping hot batch. She was pleased with the meat. I was very happy with the meatloaf as it had very good presentation and was tasty. We also each had salads with our meal (although looking at the bill, it doesn't appear we were charged for them?). I also had a martini. The total bill came to 43.97 before tip. Our server was friendly. We'll plan to visit again.

There are newer reviews for Not Your Average Joe's

Reviewed July 26, 2014

Another in a long and tired line of restaurants designed to put a unique spin on standard fare. My order of meatloaf was presented in the now standard leaning tower of Pisa motif. Orbiting planet meatloaf was quite literally vegetable pieces that resembled confetti. Tasteless and ridiculous. The meatloaf was non descript. Evidently taste was on holiday today. In the center of the bland ball of meat was a doughy cheese center. By the time I reached this destination I surrendered all hope of discovering taste or excitement. Maybe I will try again, but I somehow think that after the glow of newness wears off everyone will find that this establishment is indeed "average"

1  Thank Littlebird333
Reviewed July 24, 2014

Visited tonight for the first time. Waited 30 minutes at the bar for a table. The ambiance is great- the bar staff were attentive and said they made a great mojito which they certainly did. Good assortment of draft beers as well. They texted my cell when the table was ready. Our server, Tamara, was SUPERB. The focaccia bread dipped in an oil parmesan blend was outstanding and Tamara brought us a second helping. My jambalaya was the best I have had outside of New Orleans, and might have been as good. My wife's chicken was good, but she said she'll try something else on our next visit. Our adult sons steak was a bit tough, but he said it was good nevertheless. Even the manager, Steve, came by to check on our meal and even came back with some coupons for our next visit. My son commented that he noticed even the staff had good communication among themselves, helping each other out. Although it is a 15 minute drive and we have other, closer options in Delaware, we will be back on a regular basis. You owe yourselves a visit to see firsthand what a good place this will be. Can't wait for the outside seating to open up- tables and chairs in place, but apparently awaiting a permit.

2  Thank Coachdoc
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I went here for dinner and was pleased with the restaurant. The atmosphere is really nice. Nicely decorated and open so you don't feel like you are dining with the other diner's there. The noise level was good, I could hear my companion without a problem. The food was tasty and good size servings so you leave feeling full. The service was excellent. We had Tiffany wait on us and she was friendly and informative when it came to menu items. When you get there you are served bread and an oil/cheese/spice mixture which is very good but a bit heavy on the garlic so beware. My son had a burger from their selection and though it was a bit greasy but liked the fries. I had the salmon which was very good and filling. Overall I found the restaurant to be very good and glad I tried it. I think it will be around for awhile

Reviewed July 15, 2014

Went for lunch so there was no waiting. Had the half sandwich/salad combo. (Chicken/house) Salad was good, the sandwich was exceptional. Love the bread and parmesan dip for the bread. Waiter was very attentive, always had a new soda ready to replace the empties. Husband had the burger/fries and said it was very good. We'll go back again and try something different.

1  Thank CecilPuppy