“Struggling with face-lift/changes” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Glen Mills
Burnaby, Canada
“Struggling with face-lift/changes”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

Booked in with wife and son for a wedding and not recognized in the check-in, and trouble for taxi to get us there. Just a week or so before, a major name change (from Brandywine Suites and no notification), then the reservation was fouled up by misspelling of our names. An hour or so sorting this out after a long flight getting there. Otherwise the rooms were pleasant, the complimentary breakfast was great, and the breakfast host was superb making our large party relax and enjoy each other. Unhappy with no ability for pedestrian access to the neighbouring area as no sidewalks and all intersections had posting for "no pedestrian access!" A virtual invisible prison if one has no vehicle..

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
JBeretsky, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Glen Mills Wilmington, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Good Afternoon and thank you so much for the review of our facility. I do apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with regards to the reservations issues. I will speak with our central reservations department who made your reservations as it really is a shame that they misspelled your names. This makes it very difficult from our end at check in and is embarrassing to have to try and hunt to find your information.

As far as the name change is concerned we did reach out to all group leaders prior to and after the name change to let them know about this new and exciting upgrade to the Wyndham Brand. It was our hope that by doing so they would pass this information along to all of their attendees to avoid any confusion. I apologize that this updated information never made it to you.

As far as the location and availability of pedestrian access I do agree that we are located at a major intersection of US route 1 and PA route 202 which are both major divided highways and I would never recommend crossing these on foot. We do however have pedestrian access to a number of shops on us Route 1 in the shopping center immediately next to us which houses an award winning steak house, pizzeria, Asian fusion restaurant, and a number of other shops. Their is also sidewalk access to another large shopping center which is about 3/10ths of a mile north on route 1 as well. I do agree however that due to the suburban atmosphere of our facility transportation by car is by far the best, easiest and most economical way to see our area. This is actually one of the charms of Glen Mills and the surrounding areas. You have hubs of activity, nightlife and shopping nestled in the historic countryside of Delaware and Chester County PA.

I am glad that the other aspects of the hotel were to your liking and I will make sure to address your issues at check in with my front office manager and central reservations so that hopefully we can prevent a similar situation from occurring in the future. Should your travels ever bring you back to our area please give me a call and I will make sure to offer you a complimentary upgrade for taking the time to review our hotel (610) 358 1700 x2131.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed for just a single night after our friends wedding. The hotel staff was very friendly, promt during check-in and pleasant at check-out. The bar at the hotel was lively and had other weddings after-parties. Although the girls bar-tending looked like it should have been a strip club, the drinks were decent and they did their best to keep up with the crowd.
Bed was comfy and room appeard very clean. There was a slight musty smell on level 4, but that's to be expected in any hotel I suppose.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
JBeretsky, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Glen Mills Wilmington, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
I am truly thankful for your great review of our facility. I am glad you had a comforatble and accommodating stay at our facility while visitng for a wedding. I will make sure to pass along your comments to all of my staff and management team as I know they will appreciate them.

Furthermore; with regards to your comments about our restaurant/bar I don't want to assume however we do have our own in house restaurant and lounge called the BW bistro however there is also a second bar attached to our facility called Firewaters. The attire you described sounds like it applies to their facility vs. ours as we dress much more conservatively then they do. I will bring this to our restaurant manager's attention however so that we are sure to differentiate ourselves from this other facility.

Thank you again and should your travels bring you to our hotel in the future please contact me in advance as I would like to offer you a complimentary upgrade to one of our suites as long as it is available as my eay of thanking you for reviewing our facility.
Frederick, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

There is a Hampton Inn right up the street 1 minute…go there.

There were no double beds available in the hotel so we had to book a king. When we arrived, they had taken it upon themselves to 'upgrade' us to a QUEEN room with a SLEEPER SOFA. How is that an upgrade? They claimed this was an upgrade because we could sleep in separate beds as we originally requested, yet we PAID for a king room. No one wants to sleep on a sofa!

When we asked for our original King room, the red-headed male clerk said they were all booked and they had nothing to give us. We asked for a discount or something for our inconvenience and they REFUSED. We asked for the manager - the sign said John Beresky was on duty - and were told he wasn't here and the clerk refused to call him. Then they gave us room keys that weren't working.

When we went back down to the lobby to get working key cards, there were 2 business men on a work trip who had their luggage lost at the airport, which included their credit cards. The clerk was refusing to check them in because he needed a card on file. They called their boss who explained to the clerk that the room was paid in full in advance and Wyndham had a credit card on file. The clerk still refused because he needed a physical credit card to swipe. (Keep in mind this was after 9 p.m. and we all have work early in the morning, so the last thing we want is to be driving around trying to find a replacement hotel that WILL accommodate!) They demanded to talk to the hotel manager and again the clerk refused to accommodate! that request either.

Bottom line, they don't care about you here. We never get treated this way with the Hilton family of hotels. Find another place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
JBeretsky, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Glen Mills Wilmington, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Good Afternoon, Upon reading this review I was shocked to see that I was not contacted immedately. I take poor reviews like this very seriouosly and the aprties involved that refused to contact me will be delt with immedately. I do apologize that your room type request was not honored; it was our hope that the suite upgrade we provided you would have been mroe than ample being that there is a sperate sitting area with a full wall and closing door dividing both rooms as well as Flat panel HDTVs in both rooms would have been more to your preference being you requested 2 full beds but reserved 1 bed. Again I am truly sorry for the inconveinence.

As far as the credit card issues were concerned; we take all issues such as this very seriously as per credit card compliance laws we cannot check someone in without the actual credit card. This protects against identity theft and credti card fraud. If we were to check someone in without the actual card and this was an unauthoirzed transaction we would be held responsible by the credit card company and the guest. The only way around this is to have an authorization form completed authoirzing us to charge a card that the guest does not have in their possession. In your comments the guest stated Wyndham has his credit card on file. This is not valid as Wyndham does not keep credit cards on file for incidental charges and credit cards that are associated with specific rewards accounts can only be used by the guest associated with that accound and when the guest comes to check in to the hotel they are always required to present a physical credit card to check in for at the very least incidental charges. I know that per credit card compliance laws this is the standard for all major hotel brands.

I do apologize again for the inconveinences you mentioned and should you be willing to give us another chance durring your stay I would be more than happy to upgrade you to either a King feature suite or a 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment suite as my way of apologizing for these inconveinences. Please call em directly at (610) 358 1700x2131 and I will personally take care of these reservations for you.

Thank you for taking the time to review our property as it provides us with a few opportunites we can improve on moving forward!
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

Good hotel: clean, comfortable & good location. Breakfast was pretty good & included in our rate. Even though there were noisy guests, I only heard it in the hallway & bathroom...not in our room. Would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank jlrb07
JBeretsky, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Glen Mills Wilmington, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our property; I am glad our newly renovated rooms were comfortable for your visit to our property. I apoplogize for the noise however I am glad it did not negatively impact your stay with us.

Should your travels bring you back to our area I hope you consider staying with us again. On your return please reach out to me prior and if available I would like to offer you an upgrade to one of our suites. I can be reached at (610) 358 1700 x2131

Thanks again!
Duncan, South Carolina, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

I lucked up finding this bargain (for now) hotel that has been recently refurbished and is in pristine condition. Hot breakfast with chef and the business center were the amenities I used. The room was spacious and comfortable. The WiFi was fast. wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so very much for taking the time to review our facility; the ownership, staff and management alike know how busy we are all these days; as such, it speaks volumes that you would take the time to share your comments with the world.

I hope that upon your next visit you will ask to speak with me personally upon check in. I really like to personally thank each and everyone who takes the time to review us. I feel it is important to put a face with a name as by speaking about our property your thoughts, comments and accolades are permanently attached to our hotels ever evolving storyline. You are now one of the many voices who chose to speak out about all the accomplishments we have achieved both with our physical renovation as well as the service culture we are working toward. Thank you ever so much for contributing with such a positive review; your comments are invaluable and codify that we are on the right track.

I hope to meet you face to face soon!

Best,

Jon Beretsky
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

I was unsure about considering this hotel at first, because I'm very particular about the hotels I stay in, and also I'm from the area and know that the exterior of this hotel does not provide a lot of "atmosphere." (Note: this is in no way a negative nor is it the hotel's fault -- the location is perfect and convenient to sights/attractions -- just that there's not a lot in the way of greenery, being next to some restaurants, etc., and I'm anal :)). I was concerned that the interior might be drab, but not so!! It's beautiful, the renovations are well-done, it's a pleasant atmosphere. And the staff is fantastic -- I arrived with plenty of time to check in, freshen up and drive to a meeting, but when I got to my room, there was no hot water. Fast forward two standard rooms (still no hot water) and one suite upgrade later, I got settled in just enough time to get to my meeting -- the staff (Front Desk and Maintenance) was very gracious and helpful and mindful of my deadline and investigated/processed everything as fast as possible. The breakfast was decent and the attendant was great and happy to accommodate a few small requests I had. Every interaction I had with staff was wonderful, from phone contact before I arrived to check out. It was a pleasure to stay there. Highly recommend!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JBeretsky, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Glen Mills Wilmington, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Thank you so much for your detailed review of our facility; I appreciate how descriptive you were regarding our facility as we really take your comments to heart. I believe I met with you personally regarding your issues with the hot water as we had the winge in question shut down for renovations which is why there was a delay in the temperature from getting fully hot in the rooms we had assigned you to and I thank you for bringing this to our attention so that it did not impact any other guests like it did yourself. I know you also mentioned the "greenery" or lack there of; and we made some strides over the past few days to integrate some more lush landscaping around the entrances of our facility to try and beautify the exterior so that it compliments the interior renovations. It seems that you did not get a chance to experience some of the recently added food and beverage outlets we currently offer. As of June 1, 2013 we will ahve our own restaurant for dinner as well as dinner room service; the BW bistro. We also added an action station to our breakfast with an omelet chef and with this addition there are now multiple tiers available to our guests. There will be an all inclusive breakfast package that will offer all amenities described previously; there will be a buffet only breakfast rate to accommodate those travelers on the run just looking for a grab and go type breakfast, our a quick continental style morning bite. Finally the least expensive option will be for those travelers who do not wish to partake in breakfast or whose schedules do not permit them to do so. This way they are not paying for an amenity they do not get to enjoy. We all know that travelers like options as such we wanted to differentiate ourselves from other hotels that build breakfast into the rate regardless of wether or not you choose to use this service.

Thank you again for your glowing review of our property and I hope that on your next visit you get a chance to sample some or all of the new cuisine options we now offer. Please reach out to me via email or phone on your next visit and I will upgrade you to one of our suites as long as we have it available for taking the time to review our facility on Tripadvisor.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glen Mills
#1 of 1 in Chadds Ford
Staybridge Suites Wilmington - Brandywine Valley
Inn at Mendenhall, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Chester

Been to Wyndham Garden Glen Mills Wilmington? Share your experiences!