The Inn at Grace Winery
$106
Best Western Plus Concordville Hotel(Glen Mills)(Great Value!)
$115
$139
Orbitz.com
$80
$90
Sentinel Motel(West Chester)(Great Value!)
$80
$72
Brinton Hotel(West Chester)(Great Value!)
$94
$116
All reviewsthe main housethe cottagesbed and breakfastmarble bathroomgrounds are gorgeousla portafarm animalsbeautiful place to staynext morningjacuzzi tuboatmealpropertyloungedprivacyodorroomy
Reviewed January 19, 2007

I was travelling back to Philadelphia for a visit and wanted something warm and homey - not a hotel. While internet surfing I found Sweetwater Farms - and booked one of the cottages immediately.

What a fabulous place - a true gentleman's farm. The 1700's home is in top notch condition and decorated tastefully and thoughtfully. We were there in mid-December and the Christmas decorations were lovely and tasteful - the trees were real and smelled heavenly. Even my little cottage had a small tabletop tree.

The dogs were friendly, the horses were lovely, the sheep as fluffy and fat looking as could be. The geese were migrating and spending time in the small lake. The entire weekend was idyllic.

My only criticism would be that there wasn't anything healthy available for breakfast. Even the fruit was cooked in a sugary syrup. I would have preferred to have oatmeal or fresh fruit available - but I"m probably in the minority and my husband was very pleased with his pancakes and muffins.

I know that we will be returning and truly look forward to it. I'd recommend Sweetwater to anyone who likes to be off the beaten track and enjoys elegant, tasteful, comfort and privacy.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank KatieScarlettO
Reviewed December 9, 2006

This is a lovely bed and breakfast on a beautiful farm. There were only a few minor problems with my stay. We had a reservation for a specific room in the B & B, and when we arrived the thermostat was set at 50 degrees and the room was very chilly. Unfortunately, the innkeeper didn't inform us about the thermostat being set at 50 degrees. I just figured that the room was difficult to heat and we would deal with it. We did put a fire in the fireplace to keep warm, and it was not until the next morning did we realize the temperature was set so low. There was no way that we could shower because the bathroom was freezing, and hot water was at a minimum.

I was a bit diasppointed that there were not any Christmas decorations anywhere with the exception of a container of candy canes. I though there may be a holiday wreath on the door being that we arrived the beginning of December.

A little more attention to detail needs to be paid when preparing a room. The candle on the mantle was burned down to about an inch, so was not available for the next guest to use. A few q tips (unused) were laying on the middle of the rug. The iPod insert was no where to be found - just an iPod remote in the desk drawer. I wondered if the innkeepers are overwhelmed with the huge task of managing a B & B......just not enough time to check on the "small things".

The breakfast was awesome and served beautifully. Very delicious!!

I think this B & B would be just right, if the innkeepers just take a moment to double check that the room is ready for their guests.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed June 3, 2006

Fabulous setting, wonderful suite, inviting public areas, and a gracious hostess. Can't say enough good things about this wonderful B&B. Friends who live in the Philly area decided to hang out there with us, and say they'll refer others to this wonderful find.

• Stayed: August 2005
1  Thank CCWSeattle
Reviewed May 8, 2006

I have had the great fortune and pleasure of becoming intimately familiar with this incredible and one of a kind “home away from home” for the past 9 months while on a long term consulting assignment with a famous local company.

On my very first stay, I was invited to join some of the inn keeper staff and their family in a Sunday night grill. Within minutes, I was feeling like I belonged to the Sweetwater Farm “family” and was made welcome by all the fantastic people and inviting grounds.

If you have ever worked on an extended project away from your home, it is so nice looking forward to coming “home” to the Sweetwater and relaxing in the living room with a nice warm fire during the colder months or on the back porch listening to the “peeper” frogs and watching the sun set over the corn field.

Sometimes we would rustle up a game of pool in the billiards room. Chris the owner has personalized much of the place with wonderful memorabilia from his grandfather, John Kelly’s collection of Olympic rowing pictures and the original oars that helped win the 1920 single and double skull rowing events. Make sure you ask one of the inn keepers about the rich and interesting history of the place and its owners direct ties to Princess Grace of Monaco. I’ve been told Prince Phillip always stays in The Lafayette when he visits!

The accommodations; There is always a unique and certain charm in every room. Care is taken to make the rooms seem not only comfortable, with the rich buttery smooth 1000 count bed linens and feather pillows, but also give it a natural home like feeling with books and intriguing antiques… like you would have in your own house.

I have been lucky enough over the past 9 months to have stayed in every room.

The rooms I’ve enjoyed most: (in no particular order)
•The Brandywine (Very new and very well appointed!!!)
•The Georgian (Classy, light and comfortable)
•The Dormer (Cozy, funky and “tree house like” on the top floor of the older wing)
•The Master (Elegant/Romantic with a working fireplace and a classic bathroom)
•The Window Box (Quaint country living with its own kitchen)
•The Greenhouse (Spacious, two bedrooms, living room with fireplace and a personal patio/yard for spreading out with a small family)
•The William Penn (for the business traveler or weekend guest alike, quaint, efficient and comfortable)

Not that any room isn’t livable or grand but these are the ones that I frequented and enjoyed the most.

The gorgeous slate lined pool is within view of the back porch, hot tub is secluded and romantic. Make sure to take advantage of both if you visit and they are open.

Take a long or short walk around the property and check out the old barn and venture out into the woods near the old working granite quarry. Don’t forget to take “Brogen” the house pup with you for a walk!

Sweetwater History… I don’t want to steal anyone’s thunder but… the oldest part of the house was built in 1734 and the “newer” part was built in 1815 and played a part in both the revolution period and the underground railroad during the civil war…

Breakfast??? Oh my!!! Since we were always working during the week, we usually had our early breakfasts in the kitchen with the inn keepers chatting about the up and coming days activities or perhaps what would be for dinner that night… especially if it was Tuesday night where everyone typically brings something to contribute, wine, desert or a side dish, etc. Then of course the event of the night… a couple rounds of Left Right Center. This is a dice game that creates such a stir that we either had to invite all of the guests down or play in semi-hushed excitement in the billiards room.

While you are in the area, you must go see Longwood Gardens and the DuPont treasures of Winterthur. There are of course the battlefields of the Brandywine valley and the Wineries. So much history and so much to do… I really enjoyed just driving the back roads and taking in the gorgeous landscape, architecture and rolling hills. Any one of the inn keepers can provide great suggestions and give you a personal tour of the Inn and its grounds.

Oh, and if you are wondering if Sweetwater is haunted…? Ghosts? Noooo!!! But it does make for a great story over the fire pit at night in the back yard!!!

When I am ever in the area, I will always return to my second home and know I will be received with warm smiles, handshakes and hugs from my extended Sweetwater Farm family. What an incredible gift to have enjoyed while here in Glen Mills/Media. I realize this review may seem a bit “contrived” or planned, but trust me, after spending 9 months here, I have run through all of these thoughts and reflections numerous times and ensure you they are quite genuine.

Thank you so much Chris and Vicki, Sean and Farrel, Joan and Eleanor… I will always remember the great times I had and look forward to the ones to come.

John F.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
6  Thank thewheel69
Reviewed October 31, 2005

My fourth trip back to Sweetwater Farms and certainly not my last. Visited this exceptional B&B during the Fall season and upon each visit find myself not wanting to leave. The Innkeepers, John and Peggy and owner, Chris are very hospitable, friendly and make one feel part of Sweetwater as soon as one walks through the door.
The setting is perfect for a relaxing time away, the warm yet elegant interior is at times mesmerizing with its rich and interesting history.
Breakfast prepared and served by the Innkeepers always top notch. Upon each visit I have come across someone visiting the B&B ready to share their days adventures whether it be biking, shopping, sharing of wonderful restaurants in the area or just relaxing and expressing their delight of this beautiful, well kept treasure of a B&B.
Nothing has compared during my travels to this fine place...Sweetwater Farms.

• Stayed: October 2005, traveled on business