“Great BYOB restaurant”

Terrain Garden Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Terrain Garden Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 69 Restaurants in Glen Mills
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Rt. 322
Description: Terrain Cafe celebrates the cycle of the seasons and the bounty of the land. Using hand-selected local produce, meats, seafood, and dairy products, we take pride in creating seasonal menus using hand selected local produce, meats & dairy products at their peak of freshness, from farmers we know and trust. Our bright, open spaces reflect the beauty of nature, complementing a menu and experience created in collaboration with James Beard Award-winning Chef Marc Vetri and the Vetri Family team.
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Great BYOB restaurant in the Glen Mills area. The restaurant is in the Styer Nursery in a converted green house. It's one of those restaurants that's fun to take out of town guests to because you can be certain there's nothing like it near them (unless they're from CT where there is a sister restaurant & nursery).

I've eaten here a dozen or so times in last couple of years and have always been happy with the meal. If I had to describe the cuisine I would say it's earthy farm fresh. The menu gravitates more towards herbs & legumes than vinaigrettes & greens. While not a guarantee, there is
usually one fresh game animal being offered as a main entree.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

After a rather disappointing experience last year, I doubted I would ever return again. Some things have changed; others, I found, have not.

A friend and I met there for lunch on a beautiful fall day. We sat outside. We had reservations and were seated promptly - no waiting at all.

The menu selections may have expanded a bit. We had the beef salad, and lamb burger. Both were prepared perfectly. We shared a fruit tart, which was delightful.

My only (and continued) complaint is their effort to present an air of eclectiveness which, in my opinion, is way over the top, and almost phoney. And it is in such this way they believe they can charge prices well above what one would expect. On the other hand, simple food.....with simple names..... at reasonable prices...... would develop a far more loyal customer base than that which they currently have.

1  Thank llovestotravel
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We went to Styer's Cafe to celebrate a birthday. The service was average, our waiter was not very friendly. However, the food was excellent. I recommend starting with the cheese plate, then get the lobster!!! The lobster was fantastic and the sauce was rich and creamy, amazing. The ambience is especially lovely after sunset with the string lights overhead.

1  Thank Trishthedish_13
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Styer's Cafe is located inside the Terrain garden store. It is a sit-down restaurant in a glass greenhouse structure, with a very Anthropologie-like, whimsical atmosphere. (Terrain, after all, is also operated by the same company as Anthropologie stores.)

We ordered the cheese and preserves board ($18), and it was fantastic - when it actually arrived with our drinks 40 minutes after we ordered. Once we got over our anger at the beyond slow service, we thoroughly enjoyed our meal, which also included the panzanella salad and omelette.

1  Thank MAH1986
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This was a delightful find on our way to Kennett Square, PA. We stopped for lunch, and after some hunting through the garden shop, found the restaurant. The weather was hot, and we weren't overly hungry, so we both ordered salads. I had a the fresh field greens with a lemon thyme vinaigrette, and my mother ordered the summer vegetable salad, with pink pepper corn vinaigrette. Our salads were sufficient as a main course, although they would not have been if we had been exceptionally hungry.

My salad had red onion, fresh goat cheese, nuts, on top of red leaf lettuce and fennel. I usually don't like fennel but this was so fresh and young it had not the time to get tough or sour. The salad was properly dressed so that it was not overwhelmed with the vinaigrette. They also served a bread "pot"--a clever little clay flower pot with a small loaf, which gave us about 2 bread servings each. The bread was tasty and crusty, almost European in texture and the butter had a hint of honey and lavender. My mother's salad was vegetables--beans, cucumbers, tomatoes (red and orange) and some different kinds of micro greens; it was all wonderfully crunchy and crisp, just like my salad. She too had the goat cheese on her salad--we think all their cheese came from a local supplier--and some spiced walnuts to top off the salad. We also had two of their specialty drinks. I had the spritzer with raspberry, and she had raspberry lemonade, but of which were cool and refreshing and not overly sweet (nor was the lemonade overly sour!). They came in pint-sized Ball jars. For dessert my mother chose a bread budding with strawberry compote and house-made vanilla ice cream. I chose the Clafoutis. Both came to us in piping hot dishes. The Clafoutis was authentic enough--the black cherries even had their pits in them. It was topped with some multiberry house-made ice cream. Again, just wonderful combination of subtle flavors.

The ambiance is a demonstration in container gardening, with all kinds of ferns and plants growing out of a variety of containers, from old mangers and troughs to pots, and some just seemed to grow in the air, although I'm sure something anchored them. The plants also provided a sense of privacy and cut up the space some--this was an old green house converted to a restaurant. If you'd expect it to be hot, it wasn't. The air conditioning worked well, and the glass was covered with bamboo/rattan or some kind of wood screening. A second room between the green house and the store has a small bar and more tables. When we entered the restaurant at first, we were startled to see two very well behaved dogs lying on the floor while their owners had lunch. I've traveled in Europe some and this is something you see a lot there, but not so much in the States.

The meal was a pricey lunch--$55, but well worth it, given the freshness of the food and the creativity of the dishes. We left an $11 tip because the service was stellar: not intrusive, but attentive to our needs. We would go there again, and certainly recommend it to anyone in the area. I found it using the Apple App: Around Me.