“Really special”

Terrain Garden Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Terrain Garden Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 65 Restaurants in Glen Mills
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Rt. 322
Description: Terrain Cafe celebrates the cycle of the seasons and the bounty of the land. Using hand-selected local produce, meats, seafood, and dairy products, we take pride in creating seasonal menus using hand selected local produce, meats & dairy products at their peak of freshness, from farmers we know and trust. Our bright, open spaces reflect the beauty of nature, complementing a menu and experience created in collaboration with James Beard Award-winning Chef Marc Vetri and the Vetri Family team.
Greenville, Delaware
“Really special”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

After urging from friends to "try it, it's really special", my husband and I had lunch at Styer's yesterday. We absolutely loved it! Rustic fall decor and lush green plants fill the barn-like space. High glass ceiling and walls give an open-air (but still cozy) ambiance. Food was superb. We had a scallop and quinoa dish, harvest salad, mushroom soup. All outstanding including hot, fresh baked bread and special flavor-of-the-day coffee. Only downside - it's pricy. Can't wait to go back and I most definitely recommend it. Five stars all the way!

• Visited October 2012

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Saved By The Service”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

My girlfriend wanted me to see Styer's because we are both such fans of Anthropologie. (As a marketing professional, I have always been impressed with their merchandising and in-store design.) Since Terrain a spin-off, she thought it would be fun. The restaurant--indeed the entire facility--is very cool and well done. It was a bit chilly inside, but I didn't mind that and my lady had a sweater.

The server was exceptionally attentive although we did struggle a bit with a minor language barrier--English was not her first language. We both had soup and both were ok. For dinner, my girlfriend ordered the organic chicken; I opted for the Braised Beef Ribs. Her dinner was pretty good, hence the average rating, above. Mine however--no delicate way to put this--sucked.

I used to be in the restaurant business, cook as a passionate hobby, but do not consider myself a "foodie" to the extent of "snobbish superiority" regarding all things edible. I do however love great food, well-presented, but not pretentious. My dinner tonight might have been considered well presented but was undoubtedly pretentious and was not great, nor even good, for that matter.

The plate--which was actually a piece of wood, kind of cool, but I'm not sure how they wash them--came out with two large "angostinos" aka shrimp, who were lying on the plate, heads intact, dead and with lifeless black eyes staring up at me. Some people like that sort of thing--I don't.

The short ribs were indeed short, about 1/4 of the size that I expect when I order this dish at a restaurant, which is frequently. They were served on top of a bare mouthful of interesting but thin potato substance--too thin for mashed, not entirely without flavor, but again, barely a mouthful. There was also a ramekin of "creamed kale" which I did not like from the first taste and what my girlfriend--who is very forgiving of these kinds of things--described as a "science experiment gone bad." The kale item was cloyingly sweet with an aroma best described as a woman's perfume, and not a very good one at that.

When the dish was served I immediately grabbed the closest bus boy and asked him to please return the shrimp the kitchen and bring them back "cleaned." (For the record, I'm a former Marine, not a squeamish person in the least, but I simply don't wish to see dead shrimp on my plate. It's weird, at least as far as I'm concerned.)

The shrimp came back beheaded, but still in the shell. The short ribs were undeniably tender, but largely devoid of flavor. The shrimp were also flavorless, after I removed the tiny tails from the shell myself.

When asked how our dinner was, my girlfriend spoke up before I could and told them it wasn't good. Management responded with a free dessert, tea and even presented her with a gift bag of assorted artisan teas. In short, the team cared about our experience and tried to save what otherwise would have been a disastrous dinner.

The final straw is that my dinner was the most expensive thing on the menu--$39 for about 4 oz of rib meat, a teaspoon full of potatoes, a ramekin of mystery kale, and two dead shrimp. In my opinion it would have been overpriced at $25, but $39 is tantamount to highway robbery.

Like I said, the manager and to a lesser extent the server saved the night. We've decided to give them another try on another night to see if there's improvement. Like I said, the place is very unique and the decor is intriguing. As a final FYI, it is a BYOB--we knew that so we brought wine, but several diners close to our table were caught off guard by that fact.

Would I recommend it to a friend? Perhaps. Just don't order the short ribs.

• Visited October 2012
Suburban Philadelphia
“Great ambience”
Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

It's like being in this lovely oasis. The menu while interesting was not that we'll executed. Service is iffy and although the surrounding are lovely, you might have better luck getting your man to eat at a Tea Room than here again.

“Pricey, but worth it”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

My husband and I had a wonderful brunch here a few weekends ago. The weather was beautiful, the food was excellent, and we were seated outside next to a quietly babbling fountain. Lovely experience.

Visited September 2012
Glen Mills, Pennsylvania
“Great place”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Good food and service a bit pricey but overall good.
Try the cheese platter and make room for dessert.

Visited September 2012